There are 131 users in the forums

My Mock Draft 3.1 + 49ers mock *UPDATED* (3/11) Player Rankings

Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Man I would be pissed if we drafted Mays over Thomas. I don't care how tall or short they are. We need to improve the cover skills of our safeties, not take them down a notch.

Thomas and Goldson would be a killer safety combo. We'd finally be able to get our pass D up to the level of our run D.

The good thing if we drafted Mays would be that you know Manusky would be creative with the way he used him and you could be sure Mays would be blitzing from the outside, up the middle, he would line some plays almost at LB, some plays at FS, some plays at SS, etc, etc. Manusky would not waste his talents like Raye would waste Spiller's.

I think Mays would be good in the box. But that's the problem they don't need a safety to be down in the box they need a safety with better coverage skills. The amount of time safeties spend inside the box is becoming smaller and smaller b/c teams are going to multiple WR formations. Niners were killed by TE's everytime Lewis had to cover them. Which is May's biggest weakness. And the Niners don't even blitz that much and play the most vanilla 3-4 defense known to man so I don't know about him being creative with Mays. .

Nice draft I think the Bills would easily take Williams or Davis instead of Spiller though leaving him right there at 13.
I don't see Trent Williams or Mays...the former's not LT material and any OT Sing/Mac draft in rd 1 should have that ability...they've said so numerous occasions. I'd take Campbell or Brown over Williams...because both are a lot more agile, can play LT, and are adept at zone blocking, which OL Coach Solari is implementing this off-season. As for Mays, he's quite the athlete, I'll grant you, but combine tests don't mean squat if you can't make plays on the field. He's too much into trying to blow people up as opposed to just making the tackle. He's a liability in pass coverage...why would be want a bigger, faster version of Michael Lewis, who at his relatively advanced age can still hit and make stops.

If Haden's still on the board, he'd be the pick at #13...then at #17 you go with either Campbell or Iupati, if Coach is convinced the big Somoan can migrate to OT sooner rather than later.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Man I would be pissed if we drafted Mays over Thomas. I don't care how tall or short they are. We need to improve the cover skills of our safeties, not take them down a notch.

Thomas and Goldson would be a killer safety combo. We'd finally be able to get our pass D up to the level of our run D.

The good thing if we drafted Mays would be that you know Manusky would be creative with the way he used him and you could be sure Mays would be blitzing from the outside, up the middle, he would line some plays almost at LB, some plays at FS, some plays at SS, etc, etc. Manusky would not waste his talents like Raye would waste Spiller's.

I think Mays would be good in the box. But that's the problem they don't need a safety to be down in the box they need a safety with better coverage skills. The amount of time safeties spend inside the box is becoming smaller and smaller b/c teams are going to multiple WR formations. Niners were killed by TE's everytime Lewis had to cover them. Which is May's biggest weakness. And the Niners don't even blitz that much and play the most vanilla 3-4 defense known to man so I don't know about him being creative with Mays. .

Nice draft I think the Bills would easily take Williams or Davis instead of Spiller though leaving him right there at 13.

Well last year teams did run on the edge's against us. Atlanta kind of exposed us and even more so when Nate Clements went out, teams ran pretty well on the edge vs us and we could use a guy like Mays who can fly all over the field and make plays not only in the box, but down the field as well as bring a presence in the middle. Im not in favor of taking Mays but he is a solid prospect and he would help us. I would personally take Earl Thomas over him and move Goldson to SS but McCloughan favors bigger guys and he like seniors so I just think Mays will be the pick.
I'm still not a fan of taking Taylor Mays, but there is a high possibility that they might pull the trigger on him when our 17th pick comes along. I do, however, feel like Mays is very coach-able and could sit a year and learn while helping out on special teams since our safeties are set with Goldson and Lewis. I'm sure that Singletary and Manusky would get the very best out of him and fix his tackling mechanics.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I don't see Trent Williams or Mays...the former's not LT material and any OT Sing/Mac draft in rd 1 should have that ability...they've said so numerous occasions. I'd take Campbell or Brown over Williams...because both are a lot more agile, can play LT, and are adept at zone blocking, which OL Coach Solari is implementing this off-season. As for Mays, he's quite the athlete, I'll grant you, but combine tests don't mean squat if you can't make plays on the field. He's too much into trying to blow people up as opposed to just making the tackle. He's a liability in pass coverage...why would be want a bigger, faster version of Michael Lewis, who at his relatively advanced age can still hit and make stops.

If Haden's still on the board, he'd be the pick at #13...then at #17 you go with either Campbell or Iupati, if Coach is convinced the big Somoan can migrate to OT sooner rather than later.

I agree with taking Haden but not on Iupati. If the reason you would take him is that he can migrate to OT I would say that Trent Williams is MUCH more likely to be able to play LT (since that is important to you) than Iupati ever would be. I would love Haden and Williams. That would be an A+ first round.
Originally posted by lamontb:

Well last year teams did run on the edge's against us. Atlanta kind of exposed us and even more so when Nate Clements went out, teams ran pretty well on the edge vs us and we could use a guy like Mays who can fly all over the field and make plays not only in the box, but down the field as well as bring a presence in the middle. Im not in favor of taking Mays but he is a solid prospect and he would help us. I would personally take Earl Thomas over him and move Goldson to SS but McCloughan favors bigger guys and he like seniors so I just think Mays will be the pick.

True, but teams running on the edge is more on Manny and Parys and not the safety. I think we all remember the horrific times when Cris Johnson beat Parys to the edge and then the time McNabb just out ran Parys. I understand your reasoning though and it's a possibility b/c i think Scott and sing like him a lot.
Player rankings:

My top 50 players regardless of posistion or where they are projected to be drafted (*= comparision to the current or former NFL player(s) I think current prospects reminds me of and has POTENTIAL to be a similar player to)

1.Ndamukong Suh, DT Nebraska: At 6'4" 307pds, a Rare combination of size, quickness and power. In the Big 12 Championship game against Texas, Suh dominated the game (4.5 sacks) and his last two seasons at Nebraska he was a difference maker along the defensive line. He is disruptive vs the run and rushing the passer. I think he is a once every 10yr type of defensive tackle/lineman and overall I grade him out to be the best player in the drat. NFL comaparision (Reggie White/Richard Seymour)

2.Eric Berry, S, Tennessee: A terrific all-around football player and could be the safest pick in the draft. Has good size (6'0" 211pds), very good speed, great closing speed and range along with terrific instincts and ball skills. He was a player from day one at Tennessee where he made an impact as a true freshman and hsf three terrific years at Knoxville. Former NFL defensive coordinator Monte Kiffen says Berry is the best safety he has ever coached, that is really saying something. I think Berry projects out to be an Ed Reed type safety in the NFL. (Ed Reed/Brian Dawkins)

3.Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State: Grades out as a big time OT prospect and I think he may be the safest pick in the draft next to Berry. A starter for nearly all his four years at Oklahoma State and did a tremendous job and got better and better each year. I think Okung still has room to get better which is scary. He has long arms, put up 38 reps at the combine and while he isn't a huge offensive lineman, at 6'5" 307pds he is not small and he has the frame to put on weight. He also has very good feet and plays like a natural knee bender. Just a very good all-around OT prospect who is already battle tested and still has room to get even better. (Walter Jones/Levi Jones)

4.Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame: Highly touted High school quarterback, Clausen came in as a true freshman and started at Notre Dame and with a very inexperinced group around him, he struggled badly. He struggled so badly I questioned wether or not he could ever recover from such a bad season and if his confidence was shot. Well his sophmore season he improved his passing TD total from 7 to 25 and as a Junior he had 28td passes and only 4 int's. Say what you want about the kid, but he is mentally tough and he got better every year atNotre Dame. He did play in a pro style offense and had some weapons at receiver but he had a sub-par offensive line, next to no running game and a very shaky defense and he knew he had to score at least 30pts every week in order for Notre Dame to have a chance to win. He has good size (6'2" 1/2 222pds) good arm strength, good accuracy, a quick release, decent mobility. Im not sure he grades out as an elite QB but I do think he grades out as solid NFL starting QB and I think he is the best QB in the draft. (Kurt Warner/Kevin Kolb)

5.C.J Spiller, RB-KR, Clemson: The most dynamic, exciting, game breaking player of the draft. I am a huge C.J Spiller fan and I think he can help any NFL team win an extra 1-3 games right away with his kick and punt return ability as well as his playmaking ability at RB and as a receiver. Spiller grades out as an elite KR-PR, returing 7 kickoffs for TD's (finished with a career 27.7yd average on 74 kick returns) and 1 punt return for a TD (53 punts for a 10.8yd career avg) in his career at Clemson. But Spiller is just not a dynamic kick returner, he is a game breaker at running back, a true home threat. But do not be fooled, Spiller has good vision and can and is not affraid to run between the tackles. He also finishes his runs with some power and has shown he can break tackles and even run over defenders. I watched this kid play live against Miami and the Hurricanes with a ton of big time athletes on defense, could not catch this guy. He made them look slow. Is he Chris Johnson good as a RB? Maybe not but who is? I do think he is in the same ball park and projects out to be similar if not better than multi-backs like Reggie Bush and Warrick Dunn. Spiller has very good hands and is a playmaker out of the backfield and also lining up as a WR. He finished his Clemson career with 123 catches for 1,420yds and 11td's. This kid is a pure playmaker and will help some team out at RB, receiver and on special teams. Oh he also happens to be a great character guy with a tremendous work ethic and passion for football.
(Chris Johnson/Reggie Bush/Warrick Dunn/Brian Westbrook)

6.Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State: A physical 6'2" 225pd WR who had a dominant sophmore season at Oklahoma State finishing with 87 catches 1,480yds and 19TD's. Junior season was caught short (3 games) due to a stupid NCAA suspension. May not have blazing speed but he is quick and a natural, fluid route runner who attacks the ball and can outmuscle defenders. I do think he has the tools to be a #1 type WR in the NFL. Can also return punts. (Cris Carter/Anquan Boldin)

7.Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama: The leader on Alabama's national championship defense, McClain is a big (6'4" 254pd) inside linebacker with terrific instincts, toughness and leadership skills but he also has a lot of talent. McClain is a force vs the run, good in pass coverage and can rush the pass either blitzing up the middle or even lining up off the edge. He does have a hamstring issue that has not gone away since October which is a little scary but if healthy this guy will be a fixture in the middle of some team's defense for a long time. Just a good all-around football player and leader. (Keith Bulluck/Levon Kirkland)

8.Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa: Just a very good, solid, smart football player. Beneifited from being coached by a former NFL O-line coach in Kirk Ferentz at Iowa. Bulaga already has NFL like technique and footwork. Has good size at 6'5" 314pds along with good strength and power as you will not see him bullrushed very often. Can play Left or right tackle and be a solid NFL pro at that posistion for the next 10yrs.
(Joe Thomas/Gary Zimmerman)

9. Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma: Yup, I feel he is a bit overrated. Don't get me wrong, I do think McCoy will be a very good NFL defensive tackle but I did not grade him out to be an elite player like some others do. He never really dominated at Oklahoma, he was a solid pass rusher and good vs the run but there was never a game where I said "wow, this guy is a dominating player" like I did with Suh. He also isn't all that big and all that strong and I wonder if he is maxed out. Again, I do think he will be a good NFL DT and good defensive tackles are very tough to find in the NFL but I just don't see him as a pro bowl prospect. That being said, he does remind me a little of Glenn Dorsey which is not a good thing. (Poor Man's Kevin Williams/ Tommie Harris)

10.Earl Thomas, S, Texas: If he were 2 inches taller I think he would be a sure fire top 10 pick and I think he should be anyway. Has great instincts and ball skills (8 INT's his Junior yr). Really closes on the ball in a hurry and he is not affraid to get his nose dirty against the run and he is no slouch versus the run. A terrific playmaking free safety. (Ed Reed/Darren Shaper)

11.Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers: Big 6'5" 323pd OT, Davis is light on his feet and moves around well for his size. Had a terrific junior season at Rutgers but it was really his only full year or playing and proving himself. Has some questions about his work ethic and passion. Has all the tools to be a big time OT if he can stay in shape and motivated. Huge upside. (Jason Peters

12.Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma: Has big time tools to be a successful NFL QB but he played in a very QB friendly offense at Oklahoma and was rarely touched with 2 NFL offensive tackles protecting him (Phil Loadholt and Trent Williams). Plus he is coming of a shoulder injury. If Bradford went in the middle or late in the 1st rd and got a chance to go to a solid NFL franchise where he could sit and learn for a year or two and have some talent around him when he came in, I think he could be a very good NFL starting QB but I would not take this kid #1 and build my team around him. (Poor Man's Matt Ryan-Eli Manning/Alex Smith)

13.Joe Haden, CB, Florida: I wasn't his biggest fan even before his poor 40 time at the combine. He does have a lot of tools though, he is a playmaking cornerback with a swagger, balls skills and closing speed. He is also very good vs the run and can return punts. I look for him to improve his 40 time at his pro day. (Nate Clements/Lito Sheppard)

14.Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma: 39 career starts at Oklahoma, Williams is battle tested and projects out to be a better NFL RT than LT. Looked like a top 10 pick starting 14 games at RT for Oklahoma in 08 and looked like a 2nd or 3rd rd pick starting at LT in 2009. Has good size (6'4" 1/2 315pds) good feet, athletcism and strength. Should be a very solid NFL starting RT. (Willie Anderson/Jamaal Brown)

15.Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho: His best football is ahead of him and I think in 2-3 years he will be a big time, smash mouth run blocking OG in the NFL. (Shawn Andrews)

16.Taylor Mays, S, USC: Very talented safety. At 6'3" 235pds, he runs like a corner, hits like a linebacker. His ball skills need to improve.

17.Brandon Graham, DE-OLB, Michigan: Solid football player. May not have a huge upside but I think he is the most ready NFL pass rusher in this draft and I look for him to come right and get 8-10 sacks as a rookie.

18.Sean Weatherspoon: Experinced, good all-around football player who had a good combine. A traditional 4-3 OLB, I look for him to be a starter day one and avg 100+ 2-3 sacks and 2-3 ints each season in the NFL.

19.Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee: Big, solid defensive tackle who is a good fit to play NT in the 3-4.

20.Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech: Traditional 4-3 DE who is solid vs the run and pass. Reminds me of Patrick Kerney coming out.

21.Ryan Mathews, RB, Fresno State: An every down NFL back. Has good size, good vision, runs hard, blocks well, catches well, reminds me of a not so poor man's Edgerrin James

22.Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State: Scrappy corner with good speed, quickness and a swagger and confidence to him. Also can return punts.

23.Sergio Kindle, DE-OLB, Texas: Athletic pass rusher who may be best suited to play OLB in a 3-4.

24.Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland: Huge upside but is raw and inexperinced.

25.Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida: Will go much higher than where I have him but he is only a 1yr wonder and it is not liked he dominated this past season at USF. A great workout guy, athlete and talent, yes. But very raw and unproven.

26-50 coming soon
I actually like drafting these two. While we don't get a LT in the 1st, we do get a solid performer. If someone wants to take a fly on someone who "may be a better LT" down the road, don't come b******g when the 49ers are 7-9 to 9-7 because they
can't run or pass.

As for Mays, he has two things you can't teach, speed and size. In todays passing NFL you are going to use the nickel package far more than in the past. Tackling technique can be taught, and Mays knows he has to go for the ball more than the hit now. However, what he does give you is size and frankly you don't come out of USC as a multi year starter if you don't perform.

We have Goldson to ball hawk, so we really need a replacement at SS. Some things can be taught.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I love the first three picks on your hope what the Niners would do mock. I would definetly cream my pants .
Share 49ersWebzone