LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

My Mock Draft 3.1 + 49ers mock *UPDATED* (3/11) Player Rankings

Patrick's 2010 NFL Mock draft

1.St.Louis Rams: Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma: It is becoming more and more likely that the Rams will take a QB with the first overall pick. After passing up on Matt Ryan and Mark Sanchez the last two years, the Rams want to solidify their QB posistion and obviously that is important but im not sure Bradford is worthy of being the 1st overall pick but that is apparently who the Rams are leaning towards taking. If I was the Rams, I would (A.try to trade (B.take the best player available who I think is Ndamukong Suh or (C. Take the best available QB who I think is Jimmy Clausen. But as things stand now, I would be willing to bet that Bradford will be the Rams pick.

2.Detroit Lions: Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska: Very nice pick for the Lions here, they fill a big need at defensive tackle and get the best player in the draft in Suh. Suh is a rare prospect who I think can be a Reggie White type dominant player on the defensive line in the NFL for years to come. With the addition of Kyle Vanden Bosch and Suh on the D-Line and a rising star in safety Louis Delmas and a healthy Ernies Simms at LB, the Lions have the making of a solid defense and with Suh they would finally have a potentially dominant player on defense who you can build around.

3.Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma: The Bucs luck out as they are reportedly hoping to get one of the premier defensive tackle's in this draft (Suh or McCoy). Rumor has it the Bucs are even talking to the Rams about moving up the 1st overall spot so they could get Suh. Still they would be happy to get McCoy who some feel is an even better pro prospect than Suh (not me). With the addition of McCoy the Bucs would finally have a disruptive, difference maker along the defensive line they have not had since Warren Sapp and with the Bucs still rebuilding their defense, it is a good place to start along the defensive line. Eric Berry could also get a long look here and if somehow Suh and McCoy go #1 and 2 overall, it is almost certain the Bucs would take Berry at #3 if they could not trade back.

4.Washington Redskins: Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State: Tough pick to figure out, the Redskins could easily go for Jimmy Clausen here and Eric Berry could also get a long hard look here. Personally though, I feel Shanahan will want to take a QB in the 2nd rd and see what he can do with Jason Campbell for at least a year and with a huge need at both tackle spots, the Redskins take an elite OT prospect on Russell Okung who is the best offensive tackle in a very strong OT class. Okung grades out as an elite prospect and is near the prospect guys like Walter Jones and Orlando Pace were coming out of college.

5.Kansas City Chiefs: Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa: The Chiefs have a lot of needs but finding a franchise left tackle who can protect highly paid Matt Cassell is at the top of Scott Pioli's list. With Okung gone, the Chiefs take Bulaga who may not have the huge upside guys like Okung, Anthony Davis and Bruce Campbell have. But he is a very safe pick and a guy who can come right in and start from day one and give the Chiefs O-Line some added toughness and attitude. Bulaga who was coached by former NFL O-line coach Kirk Ferentz in college, already has NFL like technique and footwork and may be the most ready offensive lineman coming out this year or any other year. I think with Bulaga you are getting a guy who can you put in as your starting left or right tackle and not have to worry about that posistion for 10yrs. Also with the addition of Bulaga the Chiefs could move former 1st rd pick Brendan Albert to right tackle or offensive guard where he is better suited to play.

6.Seattle Seahawks: Eric Berry, S, Tennessee: This is where things get interesting as the Seahawks could go about 3 or 4 differen't ways and that is even if they keep the pick as it could be deal for Brandon Marshall. The Seahawks could take a serious look at Jimmy Clausen here as well as filling a huge need at offensive tackle and consider taking Anthony Davis here. I figure though the Seahawks hold of on taking an OT until their 2nd 1st rd pick (#14 overall) and go for the best player available in Eric Berry who also fills a need at safety. I think Berry is an Ed Reed type safety and comes highly recomended by long NFL defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin and remember Carroll considers Kiffen a mentor and he coached under Kiffen in college and the pros. Berry would give the Seahawks a leader and playmaker in the secondary and solve one of their weak spots at least one of the safety posistions.

7.Cleveland Browns: Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame: Do the Browns take another Notre Dame QB who was coached by Charlie Weiss in the 1st rd? I think it is looking more likely that the Browns will be taking a QB rather than sooner and forget the fact both Clausen and Quinn went to Notre Dame and were coached by Charlie Weiss. Clausen is a better pro prospect than Quinn ever was at least in my opinion and taking him here is almost a no brainer with Berry off the board. Dez White and C.J Spiller could also get a look here but I think you have to go with a potential franchise QB when you don't have one and with Brady Quinn being shopped around all you could have potentially QB is Seneca Wallace....

8.Oakland Raiders: Jason Pierre-Paul, DE-OLB, South Florida: Oh boy, its never easy projecting what that crazy old man Al Davis will do in the draft. Certainly you would think the Raiders (Al) would look at taking an OT here and Anthony Davis would make a lot of sense and Bruce Campbell, a workout warrior and we know Al loves workout warriors, could get a look here. Pass rusher is also a big need for the Raiders and Pierre-Paul may be the workout warrior of this years draft and while I think he is a risky pick and would be a reach here, I can easily see Al Davis taking him at this spot. Taylor Mays is also a possibility here.

9.Buffalo Bills: C.J Spiller, RB-KR, Clemson: May be a bit of a suprise pick and the Bills have a lot of needs but Spiller fills a couple of needs right away and even with the Bills bringing back Marshawn Lynch, Spiller would be a terrific compliment to power running Lynch and give the Bills a nice 1-2 punch at RB and Spiller would also be a huge boost in the return game and would help out as a receiver out of the backfield and he can also line up in the slot and out wide and make plays. Even a guy like Chan Gailey could figure out a ton of ways to use Spiller and the Bills need a spark and playmaking ability on offense and Spiller would give them just that. If Jimmy Clausen falls this far I think the Bills take him. They could also look at an OT like Anthony Davis.

10.Jacksonville Jaguars: Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State: With Aaron Kampman signed, defensive end is no longer a huge need (though still a need). The Jags could take a look at local product Joe Haden here at 10 but I figure they go for Dez Bryant as he would give the Jags a potentially true #1 WR (Sims-Walker is more of a #2) and maybe help put some much needed butts in the seats for the Jags and with the addition of Dez Bryant to compliment Sims-Walker, Jones-Drew and Garrard on offense the Jags could have a pretty good offensive football team.

11.Denver Broncos: Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama: The Broncos take the 6'4" 255pd McClain who would give the Broncos a real "thumper" in the middle of their 3-4 defense alongside D.J Williams who is better suited to play sideline to sideline. McClain would instantly improve the Broncos shaky run D and also would give them a boost as a pass rusher inside and he can line up at rush LB about a half dozen or so passing downs and he would also give the Broncos a real leader on their defense. Dan Williams, Taylor Mays and Joe Haden could also get a look here.

12.Miami Dolphins: Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee: Not a fancy pick but Parcells usually does not go with the fancy pick and with Jason Ferguson 35yrs old and coming of a major knee injury, the Dolphins need to find someone to man the nose tackle posistion for their 3-4 defense. Williams at 6"2' 330pds projects as an ideal NT and obviously has the size along with the quickness to play the NT posistion. A pass rushing OLB who can play in the 3-4 is also a big need for the Dolphins so a guy like Brandon Graham or Sergio Kindle could get a look here but I think Parcells puts a higher value on getting a quality NT and takes a pass rusher in the 2nd rd.

13.San Francisco 49ers: Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma: The right tackle posistion has been an area of weakness for the 49ers for a while now. Last year the RT play was downright awful. If the draft projects out like this, the 49ers would have their pick of Anthony Davis or Trent Williams here at 14. I think both guys grade out near equal and while Davis may have a slightly bigger upside than Williams and may be better suited to play LT, the 49ers take Williams who projects as a much better RT than LT and is a safer pick than Davis. Plus the 49ers need whoever they draft at OT to pretty much come right in and start. Williams, who has 39 career starts in college, is NFL ready. In 2008 after starting 14 games at right tackle for the Sooners, Williams was projected as a sure fire top 10 pick and was considered a better pro prospect than teammate Phil Loadholt. In 2009 Williams moved to LT and had his struggles though a lot of it was due to the fact he was not only playing a new posistion, but the Sooners had several new, young starters on the O-Line and the whole O-line was out of sync. Sooners offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson says Trent Williams is the best offensive lineman he has had at Oklahoma and that is saying something as he has coachedcurrent Vikings starting RT Phil Loadholt, former Bucs 1st rd pick Davin Joseph and Saints all-pro Jamaal Brown. The Niners could also look at C.J Spiller if he is available here and im sure Joe Haden would get a long hard look for GM Scott McCloughan,

14.Seattle Seahawks: Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers: The Seahawks gamble that they will get a top OT prospect at 14 and they get a good one in Anthony Davis. Davis, has top 10, if not top 5 talent, though he does have questions about his work ethic and passion but the Seahawks having a huge need at LT, take him here in a heartbeat.

15.New York Giants: Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri: May not be a sexy pick but a very good pick as Weatherspoon is just a very solid football player who was extremly productive throughout his career at Missouri and worked out very well at the Combine as well. The Giants need some speed, youth and playmaking ability at linebacker and Weatherspoon gives them just that and he can come right in and start.

16.Tennessee Titans: Joe Haden, CB, Florida: Jeff Fisher loves his DB's and he gets the top cornerback in a weak CB class. If Haden runs a better 40 time at his pro-day he could end up finding his way back into the top 10. If Haden is gone, it is almost certain the Titans take a defensive end with Derrick Morgan, Brandon Graham and Sergio Kindle being possible selections here.

17.San Francisco 49ers: Taylor Mays, S, USC: The 49ers could go three or four differen't ways with their 2nd 1st rd pick. I think Mays would be hard to pass up on for GM Scott McCloughan as he likes "big" players and you can't find a bigger safety than Taylor Mays who also happens to run like a cornerback and hit like a linebacker. Current strong safety Michael Lewis is one concussion away from retirement and has seen his play slip anyway so strong safety is a need for the 49ers and while Mays not be a big playmaker as far as INT's go. He does make a lot of plays all over the field and hits like a ton of bricks and could team with Patrick Willis to give the 49ers two big time, sideline to sideline players who tackle really well and also can lay the wood. I also think Brandon Graham and Mike Iupati could get a look here.

18.Pittsburgh Steelers: Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho: Back to Steelers football; Selecting Iupati gives the Steelers a big, physical, smash-mouth run blocker that they really lack right now along the offensive line and would allow to the Steelers to play more of their traditional, smash-mouth, running the football kind of style that Mike Tomlin so badly wants to go back to. Also keep an eye out for Tim Tebow going to the Steelers, maybe not here but if they trade down or in the 2nd rd. With Big Ben in off the field trouble again, I think Tebow is a guy the Steelers wouldn't mind having either as a backup and role player or possibly a starter if something does with Big Ben and lets face it, Tebow is a completly differen't guy off the field than Big Ben.

19.Atlanta Falcons: Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech: I think its safe to say Jamaal Anderson is a bust and John Abraham is getting up their in years and always seems to be hurt. The Falcons take the local kid Morgan who is an ideal 4-3 defensive end and is a solid pass rusher and run stopper.

20.Houston Texans: Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State: I would be willing to bet the ranch the Texans go DB with their 1st rd pick. The question is do they take Wilson here or Earl Thomas?

21.Cincinnati Bengals: Earl Thomas, S, Texas: No brainer here, the Bengals fill a big need at FS and Earl Thomas is way to good to pass up here. The only problem is he is a good character guy and that could scare the Bengals away. Thomas only falls this far because of his size (5'10" 203pds) but the guy is a player and has Ed Reed type ball skills, instincts and closing speed at free safety and I look for him to be a big time NFL free safety who has 6-10 INT's a year.

22.New England Patriots: Brandon Graham, DE-OLB, Michigan: A solid value pick here. Graham may not be a fancy, tall, athletic player with a huge upside but the guy is just a good football player and that is what the Patriots like and this guy can come right in and get double digit sacks as a rookie. IMO, he is the most ready NFL pass rusher in this draft.

23.Green Bay Packers: Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland: Campbell could go high as #8 and with his great workout at the combine a lot of people have him projected that high but I think once the buzz settles down around his workout, people will realize he has only started 17 career college games and his peformance college was un-even at best. He certainly has all the physical tools to be an elite NFL OT and he has good character and work ethic but he is raw and it is very unlikely he will be ready to start in the NFL as a rookie. The Packers can sit him behind Chad Clifton and whoever their starting RT is for at least a half a year and maybe Campbell can come late in the year and start at RT or at worse start at RT in 2011 and eventually replace Clifton at LT.

24.Philadelphia Eagles: Sergio Kindle, DE-OLB, Texas: Good value pick. Andy Reid loves his athletic pass rushers and Kindle is similar to current Eagles star DE Trent Cole.

25.Baltimore Ravens: Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma: Greshman was projected as a top 10 pick going into his Senior year and then tore his knee up and missed the whole 2009 season. Had he been healthy, your probably looking at a top 15 pick so the Ravens as they usually do, get good value here, getting a healthy Greshman.

26.Arizona Cardinals: Charles Brown, OT, USC: The Cards had problems at Left tackle all year long. Brown who is battle tested and experinced, could come right in and start for the Cardinals.

27.Dallas Cowboys: Nate Allen, S, South Florida: May be bit of a reach and the Cowboys with no big needs could just take the best player available but if they do have one need, it is safety and Allen is a very solid all-around safety and would give the Cowboys two USF Bulls 1st rd picks in the secondary. Chad Jones the big safety from LSU could also get a look here.

28.San Diego Chargers: Ryan Mathews, RB, Fresno State: Mathews is rising up on draft boards and it is obvious the Chargers have need at RB. Mathews is an everydown back who is NFL ready.

29.New York Jets: Golden Tate, WR-KR, Notre Dame: Certainly the Jets could take a pass rusher like Jerry Hughes or Ricky Sapp here but I think they go for Tate who gives them speedster to compliment the big, physical Braylon Edwards and can also help them in the return game if Leon Washington is not healthy or traded.

30.Minnesota Vikings: Jason McCourty, CB, Rutgers: Tim Tebow could get a look here as could a DT like Brian Price or even Terrance Cody. McCourty though gives the Vikings an ideal cover 2 cornerback and Cedric Griffin may not be healthy to start the season.

31.Indianapolis Colts: Brian Price, DT, UCLA: A solid value pick who fills a need at DT for the Colts.

32.New Orleans Saints: Jared Odrick, DT-DE, Penn State: A very solid pick to end the 1st rd pick. Odrick is a versatile player who can play DT or DE in the 4-3 and DE in the 3-4. He gives the Saints some much needed versatility on the D-Line and you know Greg Williams will put his talent(s) to good use.

Patrick Jira has covered the NFL draft for NFL DraftCountdown and Draft Studio; Has worked with NFL draft scout Dave Te Thomas; Ran The Recruiting Beat and has been featured in ESPN The Magazine, The Naples Daily News and The Philadelphia Inquirer.

My 49ers mock draft (on what I would like the 49ers to do in the draft not what I think they will do)

13th pick: C.J Spiller, RB-KR, Clemson: Adding Spiller would kill three, maybe four birds with one stone. He would instantly give is a huge uprgade at the kick and punt returner posistion where it would go from a weakness to a real strength as Spiller is a Josh Cribbs good return man. He would also give us a RB to compliment Frank Gore, keeping Gore fresher and he would give us a real home-run threat at the RB posistion but he is not just a home run hitter. He has good vision and can run in between the tackles. He would also help out as a receiver. Not just out of the backfield where he is terrific, but he can and has lined up in the slot and out wide and done damage there. He runs good routes and has good hands and we could use a speedy slot receiver. Plus like Barrows said, his presence alone would help make our (Raye's) predictable offense a lot less predictable. Would love, love to add Spiller but even if he is available, I don't see McCloughan taking a guy like him. Its to fancy, makes to much sense.

17th pick: Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma or Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers: We could take either guy at 13 and I would not be upset but ideally we would get Spiller and then either Williams or Davis here. I slightly prefer Williams because he is more experinced and more mature than Davis who may have a bigger upside. I think either guy can come right in and start at RT and be a big upgrade over Snyder. If we took an OT at 13, I would want Earl Thomas here but I think McCloughan would go for Taylor Mays if he was available and I could live with that. Brandon Graham could also be an option. If we traded down, I would look for/want Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State or Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho.

2nd rd pick: Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida: 6'2" 249pd LB would give us some needed attitude, toughness and leadership in the middle with Spikes on his last year or two. Spikes is a downright mean, nasty LB who im sure Singletary would love in the middle of his defense and he would be the perfect compliment/bodyguard for Patrick Willis plus Spikes is a guy who is a playmaker (6 int's and 5.5 sacks his last 2yrs at Florida). If not Spikes, I would look at a cornerback (Perrish Cox, CB, Oklahoma State or Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State) and if we don't take Spiller in rd 1. I would strongly consider Dexter McCluster, RB-KR, Ole Miss. Jerry Hughes, DE-OLB if he is available is another option.

3rd rd pick: Best available DB: Brandon Ghee, CB, Wake Forest; Larry Asante, S, Nebraska; Jarvis Arenas, CB-KR, Alabama; Jerome Murphy, CB, South Florida and Morgan Burnett come to mind. Mardy Gilyard, WR-KR, Cincinnati is a guy I like a lot and if we don't get a kick returner with in the first 2rds I would take Gilyard if he is available in rd 3.

4th rd pick: Jevan Snead, QB, Ole Miss; Mike Johnson, OG, Alabama; Zane Beadles, OG, Utah or Lamarr Houston, NT, Texas

5th rd pick: Greg Hardy, DE-OLB, Ole Miss; Lindsey Witten, DE-OLB, UConn; Ted Larsen, C, N.C. State

My top 50 players regardless of posistion or where they are projected to be drafted (*= comparision to the current or former NFL player(s) I think current prospects reminds me of and has POTENTIAL to be a similar player to)

1.Ndamukong Suh, DT Nebraska: At 6'4" 307pds, a Rare combination of size, quickness and power. In the Big 12 Championship game against Texas, Suh dominated the game (4.5 sacks) and his last two seasons at Nebraska he was a difference maker along the defensive line. He is disruptive vs the run and rushing the passer. I think he is a once every 10yr type of defensive tackle/lineman and overall I grade him out to be the best player in the drat. NFL comaparision (Reggie White/Richard Seymour)

2.Eric Berry, S, Tennessee: A terrific all-around football player and could be the safest pick in the draft. Has good size (6'0" 211pds), very good speed, great closing speed and range along with terrific instincts and ball skills. He was a player from day one at Tennessee where he made an impact as a true freshman and hsf three terrific years at Knoxville. Former NFL defensive coordinator Monte Kiffen says Berry is the best safety he has ever coached, that is really saying something. I think Berry projects out to be an Ed Reed type safety in the NFL. (Ed Reed/Brian Dawkins)

3.Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State: Grades out as a big time OT prospect and I think he may be the safest pick in the draft next to Berry. A starter for nearly all his four years at Oklahoma State and did a tremendous job and got better and better each year. I think Okung still has room to get better which is scary. He has long arms, put up 38 reps at the combine and while he isn't a huge offensive lineman, at 6'5" 307pds he is not small and he has the frame to put on weight. He also has very good feet and plays like a natural knee bender. Just a very good all-around OT prospect who is already battle tested and still has room to get even better. (Walter Jones/Levi Jones)

4.Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame: Highly touted High school quarterback, Clausen came in as a true freshman and started at Notre Dame and with a very inexperinced group around him, he struggled badly. He struggled so badly I questioned wether or not he could ever recover from such a bad season and if his confidence was shot. Well his sophmore season he improved his passing TD total from 7 to 25 and as a Junior he had 28td passes and only 4 int's. Say what you want about the kid, but he is mentally tough and he got better every year atNotre Dame. He did play in a pro style offense and had some weapons at receiver but he had a sub-par offensive line, next to no running game and a very shaky defense and he knew he had to score at least 30pts every week in order for Notre Dame to have a chance to win. He has good size (6'2" 1/2 222pds) good arm strength, good accuracy, a quick release, decent mobility. Im not sure he grades out as an elite QB but I do think he grades out as solid NFL starting QB and I think he is the best QB in the draft. (Kurt Warner/Philip Rivers)

5.C.J Spiller, RB-KR, Clemson: The most dynamic, exciting, game breaking player of the draft. I am a huge C.J Spiller fan and I think he can help any NFL team win an extra 1-3 games right away with his kick and punt return ability as well as his playmaking ability at RB and as a receiver. Spiller grades out as an elite KR-PR, returing 7 kickoffs for TD's (finished with a career 27.7yd average on 74 kick returns) and 1 punt return for a TD (53 punts for a 10.8yd career avg) in his career at Clemson. But Spiller is just not a dynamic kick returner, he is a game breaker at running back, a true home threat. But do not be fooled, Spiller has good vision and can and is not affraid to run between the tackles. He also finishes his runs with some power and has shown he can break tackles and even run over defenders. I watched this kid play live against Miami and the Hurricanes with a ton of big time athletes on defense, could not catch this guy. He made them look slow. Is he Chris Johnson good as a RB? Maybe not but who is? I do think he is in the same ball park and projects out to be similar if not better than multi-backs like Reggie Bush and Warrick Dunn. Spiller has very good hands and is a playmaker out of the backfield and also lining up as a WR. He finished his Clemson career with 123 catches for 1,420yds and 11td's. This kid is a pure playmaker and will help some team out at RB, receiver and on special teams. Oh he also happens to be a great character guy with a tremendous work ethic and passion for football.
(Chris Johnson/Reggie Bush/Warrick Dunn/Brian Westbrook)

6.Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State: A physical 6'2" 225pd WR who had a dominant sophmore season at Oklahoma State finishing with 87 catches 1,480yds and 19TD's. Junior season was caught short (3 games) due to a stupid NCAA suspension. May not have blazing speed but he is quick and a natural, fluid route runner who attacks the ball and can outmuscle defenders. I do think he has the tools to be a #1 type WR in the NFL. Can also return punts. (Cris Carter/Anquan Boldin)

7.Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama: The leader on Alabama's national championship defense, McClain is a big (6'4" 254pd) inside linebacker with terrific instincts, toughness and leadership skills but he also has a lot of talent. McClain is a force vs the run, good in pass coverage and can rush the pass either blitzing up the middle or even lining up off the edge. He does have a hamstring issue that has not gone away since October which is a little scary but if healthy this guy will be a fixture in the middle of some team's defense for a long time. Just a good all-around football player and leader. (Keith Bulluck/Levon Kirkland)

8.Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa: Just a very good, solid, smart football player. Beneifited from being coached by a former NFL O-line coach in Kirk Ferentz at Iowa. Bulaga already has NFL like technique and footwork. Has good size at 6'5" 314pds along with good strength and power as you will not see him bullrushed very often. Can play Left or right tackle and be a solid NFL pro at that posistion for the next 10yrs.
(Joe Thomas/Gary Zimmerman)

9. Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma: Yup, I feel he is a bit overrated. Don't get me wrong, I do think McCoy will be a very good NFL defensive tackle but I did not grade him out to be an elite player like some others do. He never really dominated at Oklahoma, he was a solid pass rusher and good vs the run but there was never a game where I said "wow, this guy is a dominating player" like I did with Suh. He also isn't all that big and all that strong and I wonder if he is maxed out. Again, I do think he will be a good NFL DT and good defensive tackles are very tough to find in the NFL but I just don't see him as a pro bowl prospect. That being said, he does remind me a little of Glenn Dorsey which is not a good thing. (Poor Man's Kevin Williams/ Tommie Harris)

10.Earl Thomas, S, Texas: If he were 2 inches taller I think he would be a sure fire top 10 pick and I think he should be anyway. Has great instincts and ball skills (8 INT's his Junior yr). Really closes on the ball in a hurry and he is not affraid to get his nose dirty against the run and he is no slouch versus the run. A terrific playmaking free safety. (Ed Reed/Darren Shaper)

11.Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers: Big 6'5" 323pd OT, Davis is light on his feet and moves around well for his size. Had a terrific junior season at Rutgers but it was really his only full year or playing and proving himself. Has some questions about his work ethic and passion. Has all the tools to be a big time OT if he can stay in shape and motivated. Huge upside. (Jason Peters

12.Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma: Has big time tools to be a successful NFL QB but he played in a very QB friendly offense at Oklahoma and was rarely touched with 2 NFL offensive tackles protecting him (Phil Loadholt and Trent Williams). Plus he is coming of a shoulder injury. If Bradford went in the middle or late in the 1st rd and got a chance to go to a solid NFL franchise where he could sit and learn for a year or two and have some talent around him when he came in, I think he could be a very good NFL starting QB but I would not take this kid #1 and build my team around him. (Poor Man's Matt Ryan. Kevin Kolbe/Alex Smith)

13.Joe Haden, CB, Florida: I wasn't his biggest fan even before his poor 40 time at the combine. He does have a lot of tools though, he is a playmaking cornerback with a swagger, balls skills and closing speed. He is also very good vs the run and can return punts. I look for him to improve his 40 time at his pro day. (Nate Clements/Lito Sheppard)

14.Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma: 39 career starts at Oklahoma, Williams is battle tested and projects out to be a better NFL RT than LT. Looked like a top 10 pick starting 14 games at RT for Oklahoma in 08 and looked like a 2nd or 3rd rd pick starting at LT in 2009. Has good size (6'4" 1/2 315pds) good feet, athletcism and strength. Should be a very solid NFL starting RT. (Willie Anderson/Jamaal Brown)

15.Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho: His best football is ahead of him and I think in 2-3 years he will be a big time, smash mouth run blocking OG in the NFL. (Shawn Andrews)

16.Taylor Mays, S, USC: Very talented safety. At 6'3" 235pds, he runs like a corner, hits like a linebacker. His ball skills need to improve.

17.Brandon Graham, DE-OLB, Michigan: Solid football player. May not have a huge upside but I think he is the most ready NFL pass rusher in this draft and I look for him to come right and get 8-10 sacks as a rookie.

18.Sean Weatherspoon: Experinced, good all-around football player who had a good combine. A traditional 4-3 OLB, I look for him to be a starter day one and avg 100+ 2-3 sacks and 2-3 ints each season in the NFL.

19.Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee: Big, solid defensive tackle who is a good fit to play NT in the 3-4.

20.Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech: Traditional 4-3 DE who is solid vs the run and pass. Reminds me of Patrick Kerney coming out.

21.Ryan Mathews, RB, Fresno State: An every down NFL back. Has good size, good vision, runs hard, blocks well, catches well, reminds me of a not so poor man's Edgerrin James

22.Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State: Scrappy corner with good speed, quickness and a swagger and confidence to him. Also can return punts.

23.Sergio Kindle, DE-OLB, Texas: Athletic pass rusher who may be best suited to play OLB in a 3-4.

24.Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland: Huge upside but is raw and inexperinced.

25.Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida: Will go much higher than where I have him but he is only a 1yr wonder and it is not liked he dominated this past season at USF. A great workout guy, athlete and talent, yes. But very raw and unproven.

26-50 coming soon
[ Edited by PatrickJira411 on Mar 11, 2010 at 11:21 AM ]
I Really kike this one and can see it happen.
But if spiller is there at 13 we cant pass him up. we gotta hope trent williams is there at 17.
Originally posted by Faithful:
I Really Like this one and can see it happen.
But if spiller is there at 13 we cant pass him up. we gotta hope trent williams is there at 17.

woops i posted this on my bros account. I really wrote thise lol

Nice work overall and thanks for the read. Personally I would rather take Rashad Jones than Mays. Both are slotted to play SS but I see more natural play making ability with Jones. Plus we could get Jones in the 2nd. At the same time I could really see Mc'C taking Mayes.
Originally posted by mavfd9er:
Nice work overall and thanks for the read. Personally I would rather take Rashad Jones than Mays. Both are slotted to play SS but I see more natural play making ability with Jones. Plus we could get Jones in the 2nd. At the same time I could really see Mc'C taking Mayes.

Thanks, yeah I really believe McCloughan will take Mays if he is available at 17 (assuming we take an OT at 13).
17.San Francisco 49ers: Taylor Mays, S, USC: The 49ers could go three or four differen't ways with their 2nd 1st rd pick. I think Mays would be hard to pass up on for GM Scott McCloughan as he likes "big" players and you can't find a bigger safety than Taylor Mays who also happens to run like a cornerback and hit like a linebacker. Current strong safety Michael Lewis is one concussion away from retirement and has seen his play slip anyway so strong safety is a need for the 49ers and while Mays not be a big playmaker as far as INT's go. He does make a lot of plays all over the field and hits like a ton of bricks and could team with Patrick Willis to give the 49ers two big time, sideline to sideline players who tackle really well and also can lay the wood. I also think Brandon Graham and Mike Iupati could get a look here.

Mays is not a good tackler
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Don't like Mays at all. I thought you selected Spiller and T.Williams in the first, but I read it again and saw Mays at 17. Really like Spikes in 2nd, if he is there. Don't like Hardy at all, he is a gone case.

Btw...it's Dez Bryant not Dez White. Dez White played WR for Falcons.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Mar 10, 2010 at 10:24 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Don't like Mays at all. I thought you selected Spiller and T.Williams in the first, but I read it again and saw Mays at 17. Really like Spikes in 2nd, if he is there. Don't like Hardy at all, he is a gone case.

Btw...it's Dez Bryant not Dez White. Dez White played WR for Falcons.

Oops, my bad, thanks. Yeah if I had my way we would take C.J Spiller and Trent Williams.
I would also Scotty M loves (prefers) taking Seniors. Yet another reason why I think Trent Williams and Taylor Mays will be the picks.
Man I would be pissed if we drafted Mays over Thomas. I don't care how tall or short they are. We need to improve the cover skills of our safeties, not take them down a notch.

Thomas and Goldson would be a killer safety combo. We'd finally be able to get our pass D up to the level of our run D.

Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Man I would be pissed if we drafted Mays over Thomas. I don't care how tall or short they are. We need to improve the cover skills of our safeties, not take them down a notch.

Thomas and Goldson would be a killer safety combo. We'd finally be able to get our pass D up to the level of our run D.

The good thing if we drafted Mays would be that you know Manusky would be creative with the way he used him and you could be sure Mays would be blitzing from the outside, up the middle, he would line some plays almost at LB, some plays at FS, some plays at SS, etc, etc. Manusky would not waste his talents like Raye would waste Spiller's.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

The good thing if we drafted Mays would be that you know Manusky would be creative with the way he used him and you could be sure Mays would be blitzing from the outside, up the middle, he would line some plays almost at LB, some plays at FS, some plays at SS, etc, etc. Manusky would not waste his talents like Raye would waste Spiller's.

And yet at some point a team may actually want to pass against us and then Manusky's most creative way of using Mays would be to put him on the bench cuz the guy couldn't cover a turtle out there.
im getting more and more scared as the draft gets closer that we'll end up drafting f**king mays
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Originally posted by Faithful:
I Really Like this one and can see it happen.

woops i posted this on my bros account. I really wrote thise lol

haha

i disagree with u only way i would have to take spiller at 13 is if theyre at least 2 OT on boarf(besides cambell and iupathi) and no haden OT is a huge need for this team and if we wanna take a step foward into going to the playoffs or father we need an average OL not one in the bottom 5
Nice mock overall. Hope we don't take Mays.
Share 49ersWebzone