LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

McClain discloses that he has Crohn's Disease

http://blog.al.com/tide-source/2010/03/tides_mcclain_discloses_that_h.html

The real news is that McClain has had a hamstring injury since October.
[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Mar 10, 2010 at 2:11 PM ]
Longstanding hamstring injury
Ouch! One of my really good friends has it and while has had it mostly treated the last few years, I remember him being in a lot of pain and one time had to get about 50 shots in his back because it was acting up so bad.
Will that move him down boards? I don't know anything about it
David Garrard has Crohn's disease... he had to have surgery to remove a foot of his intestines...
I don't think it's that big of a deal, as long as it's diagnosed early. I should know more about it (my sister has it). My understanding is that it for most, it requires an initial surgery. Then, it's pretty much stable.

I don't pretend to be a doctor or a scout, but I doubt it'll affect his draft position.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
David Garrard has Crohn's disease... he had to have surgery to remove a foot of his intestines...

When I first glanced at this post I read it as "he had to have surgery to remove a foot from his intestines . . ."

What was he eating?!
Originally posted by fandemonium:

When I first glanced at this post I read it as "he had to have surgery to remove a foot from his intestines . . ."

What was he eating?!

pickled pig feet
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

What was he eating?!

pickled pig feet

lol
Depends how serious it my little cousin has this and he's been in and out of the hospital his entire life. he's there now.

Crohn's Disease can vary alot in severity depending on when it is diagnosed and how well it is treated.

My wife has it. Initially she simply had to take regular medication. Unfortunately she was allergic to some of the regular stuff and now has to go in every 8 weeks for infusions along with daily meds.

At some point as it progresses, Crohn's almost always involves some surgery to remove effected parts of the intestine.

If it's something that he has under control and is dilligent in his medication it shouldn't effect his football career at all.

If it's out of control or he doesn't stay on top of it, he could be in and out of the hospital every time it flares up.
[ Edited by wadjay on Mar 11, 2010 at 10:19 AM ]
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

What was he eating?!

pickled pig feet

I thought it said that at first glance as well, but my first thought was -
"How is Justin Smith gonna play with one foot?"
Share 49ersWebzone