LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 131 users in the forums

USC DE Everson Griffin

so USC homers/haters, what are your thoughts on this guy?

I saw two USC games this year: vs Notre Dame and Ohio State..and they just happen to be his best performances of the year.

Everybody talks about Brandon Graham and Jerry Hughes and rightfully so, they had great seasons as well. But Griffen is quietly having a great offseason too. He's bigger and faster than both Graham and Hughes. Plus, he left USC early as a Junior. Griffen also is comfortable standing up, lining up in the 3-point stance, and dropping into coverage.

Griffen measures at 6-3 273 and ran a 4.66 forty. It's been well established that McCloughan LOVES size and athleticism particularly in the 1st round. Is Griffen a darkhorse for one of the 49ers 1st round picks? There's no talk of extending Lawson yet, Brooks is on a one year deal (his play could drop off because he has no extension yet either), and Haralson really should be a part time player, imo (but that's another story)

From NFLDraftScout.com
Quote:
02/28/2010 - USC DE Everson Griffen NFL Combine Media Transcript: 6-foot-3, 273 pounds..."I had a couple of meetings last night and coaches asked me if I'm willing to play 3-4 and I said, ???of course, what ever you need me at, all play.'" I played it on certain calls, like third-down calls. I dropped, the buzz drop, like hot two drops. So I did a variety of things at USC. What is a buzz drop? Buzz drop is when I drop underneath the number one receiver, underneath the numbers, take away the quick routes, the hook route, the curl, the hitch. Just give me the chance. I'm not going to say ... yeah I feel like I can play the outside linebacker position. What do you expect to run in the 40? 4.5. Is that realistic? Oh yeah, 100% realistic. You'll see when the time comes.
Great athlete and definitely looks the part, but I'm concerned that he didn't test in short-area/quickness drills (would've like to see his 3-cone and 20-yard shuttle numbers in comparison to others)...that, along with the fact that he doesn't impress all that much on film (doesn't always give 100%) gives me some hesitation on the guy.

I'd rather a see a quick, slightly undersized hard-worker at the 3-4 OLB (like Graham, Jerry Hughes, Jason Worilds, Junior Galette, Koa Misi, etc.) than a pure stud athlete with great triangle numbers and straight-line speed, but one that doesn't always give everything he has.

Pass rush is just as much about effort/drive/relentlessness as it is athleticism.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 9, 2010 at 9:58 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Great athlete and definitely looks the part, but I'm concerned that he didn't test in short-area/quickness drills (would've like to see his 3-cone and 20-yard shuttle numbers in comparison to others)...that, along with the fact that he doesn't impress all that much on film (doesn't always give 100%) gives me some hesitation on the guy.

I'd rather a see a quick, slightly undersized hard-worker at the 3-4 OLB (like Graham, Jerry Hughes, Jason Worilds, Junior Galette, Koa Misi, etc.) than a pure stud athlete with great triangle numbers and straight-line speed, but one that doesn't always give everything he has.

Pass rush is just as much about effort/drive/relentlessness as it is athleticism.

Agree
I like Everson but I think #17 is too high for him. He should be avialable in the lower 1st to early 2nd round. One thing I really question about him is his motivation. The guy didn't really impress me much and I am a USC fan. I just think there was a lack of effort there. If he is there with our 2nd rounder I would consider him but I don't understand why alot of people on this board are so obsessed with imporving the pass rush? The 49ers were 5th in sacks last year (According to TKO). Its the pass defense , on the backend that needs to be improved.
has the freakin talent for sure. a work. could be something special
Share 49ersWebzone