Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog's Post-Combine Full NFL Draft March 7 Edition

Originally posted by jta854:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by amigoj49:
Thanks for all your hardwork MadDog!

Can you tell me who your top 5 NT prospects are? (Since Franklin is only locked up for 1 year)

Sure. The best 3-4 NT is Dan Williams from Tennessee. He is big, strong, agile, and active.

I'd rank Cody second. He's just a toilet clogger, but he's a terrific toilet clogger. Not much mobility, but occupies a lot of land in the middle. He is going to be drafted somewhere in the vicinity of where the Niners pick in the second round.

The next three guys are interesting, and can go in any order on draft day. It seems like Cam Thomas of North Carolina is the next player to be drafted, late in the second round, or early third. He's looked terrific this offseason, and is a better athlete than Cody. I don't see the same playmaking ability as Williams, but good value in that second/third round area.

One guy who is blowing up right now is Jeff Owens of Georgia, who might be the strongest of all the NT prospects, even though he weighs about 305-310. He could end up being a guy the team looks at with the 79th overall, if they believe he can tack on 15 more pounds. He dominated the bench press at the combine (44 reps), and supposedly maxes 575 pounds. Very short and squatty, but quick. Just ran a 4.83 at Georgia's Pro-Day. My only problem is with his productivity. He was mediocre against mediocre teams, but played very well against good teams.

The fifth guy in my book comes down to Lival Joseph of East Carolina and Torrell Troup of Central Florida. Joseph has the higher upside. He's a big giant at 6'5", 330, and was very productive behind the line of scrimmage. Maybe a guy the team could target in the late 3rd round if they make some trades up or down.

This is the best NT draft in all of the years I have followed the draft (which is a long time), so the team should take serious look at one of these guys, or maybe a guy like Travis Ivery of Maryland, who will be a late rounder, but is another big monster at 6'4", 340 pounds.

Cheers.

A fine summary, and I feel the same. No tie between Joseph and Troup in my mind. Troup is great, but I think if you're looking for a 3-4 NT, I like what I've seen from Joseph just a little bit more.

So does Price from UCLA fit in a 3-4?

Price might actually be placed at NT in our 3-4. At 6-1 305, he's strong and stout, but he'd possibly get asked to add some weight. All in all, I'm not sure his talents would best be utilized in our system. Price is a terrific player and I'd love to have him here, but I don't know if we'd take him. I think we'd be better off waiting to land a similar player at the same size, but more accustomed to the space-eating role, in Georgia's Jeff Owens.
Originally posted by jta854:
Originally posted by amigoj49:
Thanks for all your hardwork MadDog!

Can you tell me who your top 5 NT prospects are? (Since Franklin is only locked up for 1 year)

Sure. The best 3-4 NT is Dan Williams from Tennessee. He is big, strong, agile, and active.

I'd rank Cody second. He's just a toilet clogger, but he's a terrific toilet clogger. Not much mobility, but occupies a lot of land in the middle. He is going to be drafted somewhere in the vicinity of where the Niners pick in the second round.

The next three guys are interesting, and can go in any order on draft day. It seems like Cam Thomas of North Carolina is the next player to be drafted, late in the second round, or early third. He's looked terrific this offseason, and is a better athlete than Cody. I don't see the same playmaking ability as Williams, but good value in that second/third round area.

One guy who is blowing up right now is Jeff Owens of Georgia, who might be the strongest of all the NT prospects, even though he weighs about 305-310. He could end up being a guy the team looks at with the 79th overall, if they believe he can tack on 15 more pounds. He dominated the bench press at the combine (44 reps), and supposedly maxes 575 pounds. Very short and squatty, but quick. Just ran a 4.83 at Georgia's Pro-Day. My only problem is with his productivity. He was mediocre against mediocre teams, but played very well against good teams.

The fifth guy in my book comes down to Lival Joseph of East Carolina and Torrell Troup of Central Florida. Joseph has the higher upside. He's a big giant at 6'5", 330, and was very productive behind the line of scrimmage. Maybe a guy the team could target in the late 3rd round if they make some trades up or down.

This is the best NT draft in all of the years I have followed the draft (which is a long time), so the team should take serious look at one of these guys, or maybe a guy like Travis Ivery of Maryland, who will be a late rounder, but is another big monster at 6'4", 340 pounds.

Cheers.

A fine summary, and I feel the same. No tie between Joseph and Troup in my mind. Troup is great, but I think if you're looking for a 3-4 NT, I like what I've seen from Joseph just a little bit more.

So does Price from UCLA fit in a 3-4?

Price might actually be placed at NT in our 3-4. At 6-1 305, he's strong and stout, but he'd possibly get asked to add some weight. All in all, I'm not sure his talents would best be utilized in our system. Price is a terrific player and I'd love to have him here, but I don't know if we'd take him. I think we'd be better off waiting to land a similar player at the same size, but more accustomed to the space-eating role, in Georgia's Jeff Owens.

I agree on Price. He seems best suited in a 4-3 scheme.
I agree on Price. He seems best suited in a 4-3 scheme.

MD,
What do you think of the idea of BPA at #13, Iupati at #17, then trade Baas and our #49 to move up to the top of the 2nd Round or so? If an OT isn't the BPA at #17, then take someone like Saffold in 2nd round. If an OT is already selected, then a fast CB/returner in the 2nd round.
Are enough of the pro-days done so that we can get down to the true mock drafts?