There are 100 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog's Post-Combine Full NFL Draft March 7 Edition

That would be great if we could get Washington at #49.
Great job MadDog, as usual!
Not a big Trent Williams fan...he's not LT material and both Singletary and Mac have said repeatedly any OT they'd take in the 1st rd would have to have LT ability. He's also slow afoot...which doesn't really fit the kind of OL Solari likes. He wants guys who've very mobile, and who're already adept at or can be coached to zone block.

FWIW, I think the 40-times at the combine are overrated...and while it's possible Haden could fall that far, it seems ridiculous because there's so much film on the guy being the best cover corner in college. If we can get him great, though.

I like Washington in the 2nd. Hughes got the press, but DW was equally impressive.

Owens is a good player...but I'd go w/Mike Johnson. Baas was tendered for 1 year, giving MJ time to learn the position and take over when he's ready. His versatility equals great value, as he played both OT and OG for Nick Saban.

Similar comments WRT Warren as Haden. I don't see him falling this far...same reason, too much tape on him as one of the best CB's in the country. Wouldn't mind the pick, though. Rolle's another possibility here, or even a WR.

Moats...not sure I understand that pick, having already drafted Washington. Think I'd opt for Hardy...our DE's outside of Justin Smith haven't impressed.

Another CB in 6th? After Haden and Waren, I don't get that pick. OL/DL depth, RB, maybe S.

Clayton...the 3rd OLB? Again, I don't see the need at that position.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Not a big Trent Williams fan...he's not LT material and both Singletary and Mac have said repeatedly any OT they'd take in the 1st rd would have to have LT ability. He's also slow afoot...which doesn't really fit the kind of OL Solari likes. He wants guys who've very mobile, and who're already adept at or can be coached to zone block.

FWIW, I think the 40-times at the combine are overrated...and while it's possible Haden could fall that far, it seems ridiculous because there's so much film on the guy being the best cover corner in college. If we can get him great, though.

I like Washington in the 2nd. Hughes got the press, but DW was equally impressive.

Owens is a good player...but I'd go w/Mike Johnson. Baas was tendered for 1 year, giving MJ time to learn the position and take over when he's ready. His versatility equals great value, as he played both OT and OG for Nick Saban.

Similar comments WRT Warren as Haden. I don't see him falling this far...same reason, too much tape on him as one of the best CB's in the country. Wouldn't mind the pick, though. Rolle's another possibility here, or even a WR.

Moats...not sure I understand that pick, having already drafted Washington. Think I'd opt for Hardy...our DE's outside of Justin Smith haven't impressed.

Another CB in 6th? After Haden and Waren, I don't get that pick. OL/DL depth, RB, maybe S.

Corva, just FYI, It's not a mock.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
As stated before, the majority of this board is not a mock draft, but a projection of the general area where a player should land based on slotting. However, the first 17 picks are a direct mock, where I think players will be selected based on the current draft order (there will be trades to alter this before the draft begins in April).

The Niners have the 13th, 17th, 49th, and 79th overall selections, but I did not intentionally select certain players beyond the first rounders in their slot.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Corva, just FYI, It's not a mock.

As stated before, the majority of this board is not a mock draft, but a projection of the general area where a player should land based on slotting. However, the first 17 picks are a direct mock, where I think players will be selected based on the current draft order (there will be trades to alter this before the draft begins in April).

The Niners have the 13th, 17th, 49th, and 79th overall selections, but I did not intentionally select certain players beyond the first rounders in their slot.

After acquiring Williams from the Browns, I think the Lions might decide to take Okung with the second pick rather than a defensive tackle?

Your thoughts MadDog...
[ Edited by vermonator on Mar 11, 2010 at 2:38 PM ]
Originally posted by vermonator:
After acquiring Williams from the Browns, I think the Lions might decide to take Okung with the second pick rather than a defensive tackle?

Your thoughts MadDog...

Even thought I'm not MD, I'll give my $.02. Suh is an elite talent that you have a chance to draft maybe once or twice as a head coach/GM. He will also remind Schwartz of a leaner, more polished, Haynsworth, with much better intangibles. Okung is the type of OT that comes around every year, and he's on the bottom half of the elite LT prospects of the last decade. Unless the Lions trade down, and get something GOOD, Suh is their pick.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

Your thoughts MadDog...

Even thought I'm not MD, I'll give my $.02. Suh is an elite talent that you have a chance to draft maybe once or twice as a head coach/GM. He will also remind Schwartz of a leaner, more polished, Haynsworth, with much better intangibles. Okung is the type of OT that comes around every year, and he's on the bottom half of the elite LT prospects of the last decade. Unless the Lions trade down, and get something GOOD, Suh is their pick.

Makes sense, but what if the Rams take Suh? Think Detroit will feel the same about McCoy?
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

Your thoughts MadDog...

Makes sense, but what if the Rams take Suh? Think Detroit will feel the same about McCoy?

I don't see it, but everything I read suggests that he's at least as good of a prospect. Suh is better against the run, but many seem to think that McCoy can be more disruptive against the pass. The Lions are kind of SOL because in their division they have to focus on stopping the run (because of AP), stopping the pass (because of Rodgers and Favre if he comes back), and protecting the QB against several elite pass rushers, as well as battling massive D-lineman in the run game. This means they need to address many many facets of the game in order to even compete within the division. Suh has the size and strength to compete with Minnesota's big line, the run stopping ability to limit AP, and very impressive inside pass rush. McCoy can get to Rodgers quickly, causing sacks without allowing him to hold the ball for so long. He can also cause Cutler to throw INTs (not like he needs any help here). Okung, while being a good pass protector, will have to face some elite pass rushers (Peppers, Allen, Matthews), and I question how effectively he'll handle them. He's also not going to offer as much in the run game, which will become increasingly important during December in GB and Chicago, as well as at home. Based on all this, one the 2 DTs just makes the most sense to me. JPP is another option if they trade down. He's quickly becoming my favorite prospect in this draft.
Thanks for all your hardwork MadDog!

Can you tell me who your top 5 NT prospects are? (Since Franklin is only locked up for 1 year)
Originally posted by amigoj49:

Can you tell me who your top 5 NT prospects are? (Since Franklin is only locked up for 1 year)

Sure. The best 3-4 NT is Dan Williams from Tennessee. He is big, strong, agile, and active.

I'd rank Cody second. He's just a toilet clogger, but he's a terrific toilet clogger. Not much mobility, but occupies a lot of land in the middle. He is going to be drafted somewhere in the vicinity of where the Niners pick in the second round.

The next three guys are interesting, and can go in any order on draft day. It seems like Cam Thomas of North Carolina is the next player to be drafted, late in the second round, or early third. He's looked terrific this offseason, and is a better athlete than Cody. I don't see the same playmaking ability as Williams, but good value in that second/third round area.

One guy who is blowing up right now is Jeff Owens of Georgia, who might be the strongest of all the NT prospects, even though he weighs about 305-310. He could end up being a guy the team looks at with the 79th overall, if they believe he can tack on 15 more pounds. He dominated the bench press at the combine (44 reps), and supposedly maxes 575 pounds. Very short and squatty, but quick. Just ran a 4.83 at Georgia's Pro-Day. My only problem is with his productivity. He was mediocre against mediocre teams, but played very well against good teams.

The fifth guy in my book comes down to Lival Joseph of East Carolina and Torrell Troup of Central Florida. Joseph has the higher upside. He's a big giant at 6'5", 330, and was very productive behind the line of scrimmage. Maybe a guy the team could target in the late 3rd round if they make some trades up or down.

This is the best NT draft in all of the years I have followed the draft (which is a long time), so the team should take serious look at one of these guys, or maybe a guy like Travis Ivery of Maryland, who will be a late rounder, but is another big monster at 6'4", 340 pounds.

Cheers.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 17, 2010 at 12:48 PM ]

Sure. The best 3-4 NT is Dan Williams from Tennessee. He is big, strong, agile, and active.

I'd rank Cody second. He's just a toilet clogger, but he's a terrific toilet clogger. Not much mobility, but occupies a lot of land in the middle. He is going to be drafted somewhere in the vicinity of where the Niners pick in the second round.

The next three guys are interesting, and can go in any order on draft day. It seems like Cam Thomas of North Carolina is the next player to be drafted, late in the second round, or early third. He's looked terrific this offseason, and is a better athlete than Cody. I don't see the same playmaking ability as Williams, but good value in that second/third round area.

One guy who is blowing up right now is Jeff Owens of Georgia, who might be the strongest of all the NT prospects, even though he weighs about 305-310. He could end up being a guy the team looks at with the 79th overall, if they believe he can tack on 15 more pounds. He dominated the bench press at the combine (44 reps), and supposedly maxes 575 pounds. Very short and squatty, but quick. Just ran a 4.83 at Georgia's Pro-Day. My only problem is with his productivity. He was mediocre against mediocre teams, but played very well against good teams.

The fifth guy in my book comes down to Lival Joseph of East Carolina and Torrell Troup of Central Florida. Joseph has the higher upside. He's a big giant at 6'5", 330, and was very productive behind the line of scrimmage. Maybe a guy the team could target in the late 3rd round if they make some trades up or down.

This is the best NT draft in all of the years I have followed the draft (which is a long time), so the team should take serious look at one of these guys, or maybe a guy like Travis Ivery of Maryland, who will be a late rounder, but is another big monster at 6'4", 340 pounds.

Cheers.

A fine summary, and I feel the same. No tie between Joseph and Troup in my mind. Troup is great, but I think if you're looking for a 3-4 NT, I like what I've seen from Joseph just a little bit more.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Cheers.

A fine summary, and I feel the same. No tie between Joseph and Troup in my mind. Troup is great, but I think if you're looking for a 3-4 NT, I like what I've seen from Joseph just a little bit more.

So does Price from UCLA fit in a 3-4?
I didn't see Al Woods DT from LSU on your list.

Wes Bunting at National Football Post says he has potential as a NT.

Thanks for all your hard work.