There are 130 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog's Post-Combine Full NFL Draft March 7 Edition

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
This is a pretty good draft for CB's, and it is not a big need in 2010, so selecting Haden doesn't make much sense to me unless we think he is clearly better than anyone else on the board.

In fact, I think Kyle Wilson and Devin McCourty are either right with Haden, or even better.

Since the Niners like their CB's to be big (T. Brown was an exception as a nickel back), I think the Niners will bypass CB in the first, and look toward a bigger CB with PR ability in the second.

Hey MD. I really appreciate the time you put into these boards, they're a great resource to the webzone.

I actually pulled this quote from another thread, but I'm interested in why you've changed your mind in the last three days and now have the Niners taking Haden.
Originally posted by jreff22:
As always MD great work

Now some questions for ya

Regarding the Spiller pick to Cle that you will get blasted with. You said, "I do not think they will be enamored with Bryant (Mangini is the same guy who labeled Crabtree as a "diva")" My counter to that statement is the new front office namely Tom Heckert Jr is the man in charge and his record on drafting WR's is pretty strong. I don't see Mangini making it more then another 2 years in Cle so Holmgren and Heckert will take who they want. I can see either Bryant or Spiller going to Cle, but I still have my money on Bryant.

Regarding the Haden pick.....take it back Seriously I don't want the kid here, something about him, not sure but I don't see him as a future stud.

John Jerry at 61 while Jon Asamoah is at 72?

Linval Joseph at 97...I thought he would be more of a 4th-5th round guy. I know he was a rotational player and his conditioning has raised a few questions...I was hoping he would be a later round steal for us.

Jonathan Dwyer at 99 damn what did he do to you?

Regarding the 2nd round and who could be available and who I like:
51 Brandon Spikes
52 Nate Allen South Florida S
56 Chris Cook Virginia CB/FS
61 John Jerry Mississippi G/OT
Is there anybody else who you see as a potential target that I'm missing?

Call me skeptical on OSU wide receivers, but they have not been on a good run the past five years. I just think Bryant will have to put on a terrific show to break that top 10 after the problems he faced in 2009, and I think he'll fall a bit short. Who knows? Maybe he'll light it up. We'll soon see.

As for Haden, I thought I saw some cracks in the bowl game this year. Tends to gamble a bit too much for me, and was able to recover well on two plays in the game where he was beat. That is not always the case in the NFL. Game is just too fast.

Still, the kid has great feet, terrific fluidity on the field, and just needs to be coached up on how to run the 40. I bet he comes back with a forty in the 4.45 range at the campus workout, and regains some momentum.

The difference I see between Jerry and Asamoah is Jerry's ability to kick out to RT in the NFL. Some teams might put him there right away. Asamoah is going to go in that 60-75 range, and with the depth of this draft, I simply think he slides to the early third. Could be wrong. Shoulder is something that may hold teams back.

I think I am a bit conservation on Joseph. One analysts said he'd be a top 75 pick. To me, that is too high. But, with the NFL now having 14 teams running the 3-4, the demand for solid NT's is high.

Dwyer had some question marks entering the draft. And, his combine was met with mixed reviews. In the end, I think his drop really is more of a numbers game. The RB's really stood out at the combine. I think scouts will look at similar-sized backs: Hardesty, Gerhart, Tate, as being more athletic, explosive players. They all ran faster, jumped much higher and longer. Now, I could certainly be wrong. Last year, Pitt's McCoy had a bad, bad workout, but still went in the 2rd round, and looked great on the field. I just think the other guys have pushed him down the board.

Special teams play will be big for the Niners in their second or third rounder. I really like Owusu-Ansah as a third rounder, but think he'll be gone by number 79. He is a PR/KR/and big corner the Niners like. Fast and strong.

Not a fan of Spikes at all. See him as stiff and not good value at 49.

Cheers.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 8, 2010 at 8:08 PM ]
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Thanks, MadDog! Us draft addicts appreciate the hard work...........

No problem.
Originally posted by wadjay:
This is a pretty good draft for CB's, and it is not a big need in 2010, so selecting Haden doesn't make much sense to me unless we think he is clearly better than anyone else on the board.

In fact, I think Kyle Wilson and Devin McCourty are either right with Haden, or even better.

Since the Niners like their CB's to be big (T. Brown was an exception as a nickel back), I think the Niners will bypass CB in the first, and look toward a bigger CB with PR ability in the second.

Hey MD. I really appreciate the time you put into these boards, they're a great resource to the webzone.

I actually pulled this quote from another thread, but I'm interested in why you've changed your mind in the last three days and now have the Niners taking Haden.

What I think will make the team better, and what the team decides are two separate things. I'd pass on Haden at 13 and 17, but if he's on the board at 17th I don't think the team would pass. To me, it is better to wait until later to get that CB/PR combo. Haden does not offer the team PR skills, so the pick doesn't make sense from my perspective.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 7, 2010 at 2:19 PM ]
MD, a few more of my own thought about JPP. Watching his highligts/lowlights on draftparty, I can definitely see he needs improvement. He also strikes me as a poor tackler. But his ability to penetrate instantly is unmatched by anyone I've seen in years. The guy couldn't get in the backfield any faster if he lined up next to the QB. It's like that on every play--he's unbelievable. He hustles, never gives up on plays, and to me looks to have good instincts. From an upside standpoint I put him in the elite catagory with Suh, McCoy, Bradford, and Berry--with of course a much higher bust factor. To me, he's someone you trade up a few spots for. In a few years, if he's a dominant pass rusher, noone will care that we had Lawson or Haralson, and therefore felt like upgradig a "bigger need" with a lesser player. Your thoughts?
Fantastic job as usual MadDog, just amazing

I have a couple of questions, Don´t you think Trent Williams has a chance too slide ahead of Bulaga? To me Williams looked like the best OT at the combine

Similiar thing with McCourty, he looked like the best CB at the combine, do you see him going ahead of Wilson and Haden by the time draft day arrives. Finally, what are your thoughts on Marcus Easley? I was most impressed with him out of the WR at the combine
Easly and Antonio Brown had good combines.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by rivercity:
Let the serious mocking begin! Great job. I almost wept when I saw Spiller going at 7, but I've got a terrible feeling you're right.

One small spelling thing: It's Owusu-Ansah, not Owuso. And you sure wrecked my mock by moving him from 161 to 70. Pretty rarefied air for a DII guy from the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference.

I think Cleveland's stuck in a real hole at number 7. I believe both QB's will be off the board, and the same with Berry. I do not think they will be enamored with Bryant (Mangini is the same guy who labeled Crabtree as a "diva"), and they don't need Morgan since they run a 3-4 defense. I doubt they draft an OT. So, they are pretty much left to Spiller.

Thanks for the spelling correction on Owusu. Major goof. The kid impressed me more than any other corner at the draft not named Devin McCourty. Fast, big, and good feet. Since he looks healthy again, I lifted the mid-round curse on him. Hence, the third round grade. I'd love to see the Niners get a shot at 79, but I don't think he'll be on the board.

Some thoughts. First, JPP is a bit low I believe. Everything I hear tells me that he'll be the first DE off the board. Reports also indicate that TB is strongly considering him at #3--granted that was the case before one of the top DTs was projected to slip to #3. Will Mangini take another freak athlete to play OLB? Clearly there's reason to belive that he won't. OT, however, is definitely a possibility for Cle. With a top RT, they can have one of the best OLs in the game--which is what you need when you're in a division with Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

I've been advocating to my best friend here in Columbus that the Browns should take a SERIOUS look at OT, but the Browns give ZERO indication they are heading that way. Once again, it is tough to sell the idea of a RT with the 7th overall pick.

JPP is an option for them at 7. However, I see it as too big a risk for Holmgren, who likes guys who have played a lot of football. JPP started in about 9 games this season. One note as well: When the Wonderlic scores are eventually leaked, JPP should be close to the bottom, or on the bottom. Word is that he will score in the single digits. For OLB's in the 3-4 defense, just not a good combo: inexperience and low Wonderlic score.

Sounds like the Browns agree about the need for a RT and have apparently signed Pashos to a 3 year deal.
MD, a few more of my own thought about JPP. Watching his highligts/lowlights on draftparty, I can definitely see he needs improvement. He also strikes me as a poor tackler. But his ability to penetrate instantly is unmatched by anyone I've seen in years. The guy couldn't get in the backfield any faster if he lined up next to the QB. It's like that on every play--he's unbelievable. He hustles, never gives up on plays, and to me looks to have good instincts. From an upside standpoint I put him in the elite catagory with Suh, McCoy, Bradford, and Berry--with of course a much higher bust factor. To me, he's someone you trade up a few spots for. In a few years, if he's a dominant pass rusher, noone will care that we had Lawson or Haralson, and therefore felt like upgradig a "bigger need" with a lesser player. Your thoughts?

He's really explosive. I don't see him on the board when the Niners pick, but you never know. So athletic.

If the Niners want to take a step deep in the playoffs, they have to pick up a dominant pass rusher at some point. This might be the player they envision playing that role. I just don't see a "pass rusher by committee" approach working when the team hits the playoffs.
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
Fantastic job as usual MadDog, just amazing

I have a couple of questions, Don´t you think Trent Williams has a chance too slide ahead of Bulaga? To me Williams looked like the best OT at the combine

Similiar thing with McCourty, he looked like the best CB at the combine, do you see him going ahead of Wilson and Haden by the time draft day arrives. Finally, what are your thoughts on Marcus Easley? I was most impressed with him out of the WR at the combine

Thanks for the Marcus Easley reference. I was mortified to see him that low on my board. I moved him up about an entire round. Good size and speed combination. Combine really helped his draft stock for sure.

It seems like most scouts believe that Bulaga is the better LT prospect, so he probably will be drafted before Williams, who many think is going to be a RT. Honestly, I'm not in love with either prospect, but think they would be more than adequate to take care of the right side for a long time.

I thought McCourty was the best looking prospect at the CB position. His feet are really quick. This was easy to see in drills. That being said, I believe both Haden and Wilson will be drafted ahead of him. Both had better college careers, and Wilson was the darling of the Senior Bowl. To me, all of them have their strengths and weaknesses. I just like the look to McCourty (better frame and blazing feet). Plus, he was one of the best special teamers in college football last season, so you will get that bonus from the first day.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Let the serious mocking begin! Great job. I almost wept when I saw Spiller going at 7, but I've got a terrible feeling you're right.

One small spelling thing: It's Owusu-Ansah, not Owuso. And you sure wrecked my mock by moving him from 161 to 70. Pretty rarefied air for a DII guy from the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference.

I think Cleveland's stuck in a real hole at number 7. I believe both QB's will be off the board, and the same with Berry. I do not think they will be enamored with Bryant (Mangini is the same guy who labeled Crabtree as a "diva"), and they don't need Morgan since they run a 3-4 defense. I doubt they draft an OT. So, they are pretty much left to Spiller.

Thanks for the spelling correction on Owusu. Major goof. The kid impressed me more than any other corner at the draft not named Devin McCourty. Fast, big, and good feet. Since he looks healthy again, I lifted the mid-round curse on him. Hence, the third round grade. I'd love to see the Niners get a shot at 79, but I don't think he'll be on the board.

Some thoughts. First, JPP is a bit low I believe. Everything I hear tells me that he'll be the first DE off the board. Reports also indicate that TB is strongly considering him at #3--granted that was the case before one of the top DTs was projected to slip to #3. Will Mangini take another freak athlete to play OLB? Clearly there's reason to belive that he won't. OT, however, is definitely a possibility for Cle. With a top RT, they can have one of the best OLs in the game--which is what you need when you're in a division with Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

I've been advocating to my best friend here in Columbus that the Browns should take a SERIOUS look at OT, but the Browns give ZERO indication they are heading that way. Once again, it is tough to sell the idea of a RT with the 7th overall pick.

JPP is an option for them at 7. However, I see it as too big a risk for Holmgren, who likes guys who have played a lot of football. JPP started in about 9 games this season. One note as well: When the Wonderlic scores are eventually leaked, JPP should be close to the bottom, or on the bottom. Word is that he will score in the single digits. For OLB's in the 3-4 defense, just not a good combo: inexperience and low Wonderlic score.

Sounds like the Browns agree about the need for a RT and have apparently signed Pashos to a 3 year deal.

Just saw that. $10 million over three years. Also signed Scott Fujita, so the LB position is quickly loading up with players.

The Ravens seem to have every intent on trading Jared Gaither, and with no third and fourth rounders, might be willing to make a deal with a team like the Niners for their 49th and 79th overall. I don't think the team would give up their 17th overall, unless it came with the Ravens' 57th overall pick (2nd rounder).
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

Just saw that. $10 million over three years. Also signed Scott Fujita, so the LB position is quickly loading up with players.

The Ravens seem to have every intent on trading Jared Gaither, and with no third and fourth rounders, might be willing to make a deal with a team like the Niners for their 49th and 79th overall. I don't think the team would give up their 17th overall, unless it came with the Ravens' 57th overall pick (2nd rounder) and maybe a swap of the team's 3rd rounder.
I'd be happy to do a 1st and 4th for gaithers and a 2nd. PERFECT IMO>
Someone really likes Bruce Campbell. Raiders been in touch with you?
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
I'd be happy to do a 1st and 4th for gaithers and a 2nd. PERFECT IMO>

i'd pull the trigger on that deal in a heartbeat!!! i still dont understand how he lasted until the 5th of the supp... he was a decent tackle tho raw at maryland, but a guy with those measureables and athleticism... i just thought somebody would have risked a 3rd or 4th.