There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog's Post-Combine Full NFL Draft March 7 Edition

Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Please ignore my ignorance - Is this list a rating of players' general value or is it a list based on your expectations relative to draft positions and team needs?

Spiller at seven is based on your expectation that the Browns will take him because of needs at that slot?

Thank you

This is NOT a value board, or I'd have Mays at about 90. This is where I perceive the players to fall in the draft. Not necessarily at the exact sport listed, but in that ballpark.

As for Spiller, it will be a needs-based pick. The guys they are looking at (the two QB's, Berry) are not going to be on the board.
Thanks, MadDog! Us draft addicts appreciate the hard work...........
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Please ignore my ignorance - Is this list a rating of players' general value or is it a list based on your expectations relative to draft positions and team needs?

Spiller at seven is based on your expectation that the Browns will take him because of needs at that slot?

Thank you

This is NOT a value board, or I'd have Mays at about 90. This is where I perceive the players to fall in the draft. Not necessarily at the exact sport listed, but in that ballpark.

As for Spiller, it will be a needs-based pick. The guys they are looking at (the two QB's, Berry) are not going to be on the board.

dont you think they would go after dez bryant ahead of spiller? they already have a decent RB who beasted it up at the end of year but they dont have any WRs at all and they need a legit target
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
185 Brian Jackson Alabama CB . . . should be Oklahoma

MD . . I've been picking up on a lot of chatter about DT Linval Joseph of East Carolina but I've never seen him play . . . do you have any info on him?

Seems like he was a sleeper but not so much anymore.

Thanks for the catch on Jackson. I had both Jackson's going to Alabama, and that would be one Jackson too many.

Joseph is a big, athletic kid. Goes in the 320-330 pound area, and ran in the 5.10-5.20 area. Still pretty green, although he was First Team All-Conference USA. He was draft eligible this season, and could have been a 1st or 2nd rounder next year, but you can't argue with his production (13 TFL this season).

Both times I saw him this year, I did not see anything that stood out. But, as you know, NT's are often doubled, so there is not much he can do in those situations.

Really strong 3-4 NT class, best I've ever seen. The Niners should take a long, long look at some of these guys starting in the 3rd round, and be willing to jump into the back end of the 3rd before they are all snatched up. Franklin is only locked up for this year.
Originally posted by rivercity:
Since the Browns signed Cribbs for 3 yrs. $20 mill, and have numerous needs, I'm starting to doubt the Spiller at 7 pick. Would Seattle grab him at 6, realizing he won't last till pick 14? That might depend on the Brandon Marshall thing. This is going to be a very hard draft to predict. It's so strong and deep at many positions, although not at all of them. With all due respect, I'm clinging to my Spiller/Williams plan.

I originally had Spiller at 11 to the Broncos, and I don't think he'll slide beyond that point. The reason I moved up Spiller to 7 is that the Browns need offensive weapons, and Spiller is a player you can move all around the field, just like Cribbs. I just doubt they grab Bryant, and that leaves Spiller as about the only reasonable player to chose if Bradford, Clausen, and Berry are off the board.

The reality is that the Browns would love to move up and get Bradford, but they would have to give up a ton of picks. Or, move down about five or six slots and draft McClain or Jason Pierre-Paul. The only hope they can have is that some team is hoping to jump up to number seven to beat the rush on OT's/DE's.

If the team ran a 4-3, the choice would be Morgan.
Since the Browns signed Cribbs for 3 yrs. $20 mill, and have numerous needs, I'm starting to doubt the Spiller at 7 pick. Would Seattle grab him at 6, realizing he won't last till pick 14? That might depend on the Brandon Marshall thing. This is going to be a very hard draft to predict. It's so strong and deep at many positions, although not at all of them. With all due respect, I'm clinging to my Spiller/Williams plan.

A final note: I believe the Seahawks will settle on Clausen, as Pete Carroll is hoping to rebuild the Hawks with a franchise QB. They seem pretty pleased in what they got with a similar sized back to Spiller, in Forsett.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 7, 2010 at 1:17 PM ]
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Looks like LSU players are on sale this year.

A lot of Day Three picks. Just not top level guys in 2010.
Originally posted by fryet:
MD, I see that you have soured on Iupati some. Last I heard, we needed to get him at 13 if we wanted him. Did the Senior Bowl game cause him to drop?

I think Iupati could go to the Steelers at 18, or fall down to the Cowboys in the mid-20's. His lack of top level athleticism is going to keep him from moving into the mid-teens or higher. I think teams will pick him as a guard only after the combine.
Originally posted by 49er4life:
Hey MadDog, great job as usual.

Do you see Nate Allen (South Florida S) as a possible pick at #49?

I like the pick, and see it as possible, for sure. He is the best coverage safety in the draft (I see Thomas playing CB in the NFL), and this team needs back end guys who can cover.

I try to stay as objective as possible with players, but you can count me as a big fan of Allen.
Originally posted by dhp318:
how far does campbell fall should the raiders not take him?

Probably to the Seahawks at 14. Carroll has no problem taking athletic guys and working with them. It has been his mantra at USC.
Originally posted by teeohh:
I notice after Graham there's a big drop until the next OLB, is this a weak class for pass rushers?

Actually, this is a very good 3-4 OLB class. Hughes looked tremendous at the combine, and posted a fast 40 time. More importantly to me, he posted a blazing 10 yard time, which is much more important to me for OLB's.

Griffin looked fast on the field, and sharp in backpeddling, and could be a big 3-4 OLB. Ricky Sapp is raw, but offer good second round value (to me, he's similar to the level of an Aaron Maybin from last year, who went at number 11). Jason Worilds is a second rounder, and very quick. Gibson is terrifically athletic, and can really pursue guys. Misi is high energy. Tons of guys in the 4th and 5th rounds who can add something to the team, if needed.

Very good rush back class.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Let the serious mocking begin! Great job. I almost wept when I saw Spiller going at 7, but I've got a terrible feeling you're right.

One small spelling thing: It's Owusu-Ansah, not Owuso. And you sure wrecked my mock by moving him from 161 to 70. Pretty rarefied air for a DII guy from the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference.

I think Cleveland's stuck in a real hole at number 7. I believe both QB's will be off the board, and the same with Berry. I do not think they will be enamored with Bryant (Mangini is the same guy who labeled Crabtree as a "diva"), and they don't need Morgan since they run a 3-4 defense. I doubt they draft an OT. So, they are pretty much left to Spiller.

Thanks for the spelling correction on Owusu. Major goof. The kid impressed me more than any other corner at the draft not named Devin McCourty. Fast, big, and good feet. Since he looks healthy again, I lifted the mid-round curse on him. Hence, the third round grade. I'd love to see the Niners get a shot at 79, but I don't think he'll be on the board.

Some thoughts. First, JPP is a bit low I believe. Everything I hear tells me that he'll be the first DE off the board. Reports also indicate that TB is strongly considering him at #3--granted that was the case before one of the top DTs was projected to slip to #3. Will Mangini take another freak athlete to play OLB? Clearly there's reason to belive that he won't. OT, however, is definitely a possibility for Cle. With a top RT, they can have one of the best OLs in the game--which is what you need when you're in a division with Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

I've been advocating to my best friend here in Columbus that the Browns should take a SERIOUS look at OT, but the Browns give ZERO indication they are heading that way. Once again, it is tough to sell the idea of a RT with the 7th overall pick.

JPP is an option for them at 7. However, I see it as too big a risk for Holmgren, who likes guys who have played a lot of football. JPP started in about 9 games this season. One note as well: When the Wonderlic scores are eventually leaked, JPP should be close to the bottom, or on the bottom. Word is that he will score in the single digits. For OLB's in the 3-4 defense, just not a good combo: inexperience and low Wonderlic score.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Let the serious mocking begin! Great job. I almost wept when I saw Spiller going at 7, but I've got a terrible feeling you're right.

One small spelling thing: It's Owusu-Ansah, not Owuso. And you sure wrecked my mock by moving him from 161 to 70. Pretty rarefied air for a DII guy from the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference.

I think Cleveland's stuck in a real hole at number 7. I believe both QB's will be off the board, and the same with Berry. I do not think they will be enamored with Bryant (Mangini is the same guy who labeled Crabtree as a "diva"), and they don't need Morgan since they run a 3-4 defense. I doubt they draft an OT. So, they are pretty much left to Spiller.

Thanks for the spelling correction on Owusu. Major goof. The kid impressed me more than any other corner at the draft not named Devin McCourty. Fast, big, and good feet. Since he looks healthy again, I lifted the mid-round curse on him. Hence, the third round grade. I'd love to see the Niners get a shot at 79, but I don't think he'll be on the board.

IF both the QBs and Berry are gone then I could see Cleveland trading back a few into the mid 1st round and picking up another 2nd.

I wish I would have seen this post earlier (I'm going in order right now). I completely agreed in a previous response, by stating that the team would probably like to move up or down. I have a feeling Holmgren wouldn't mind Rolando McClain handling the defense for him. But, at 7, that's simply too high.
Very nice work MadDog, very informative as normal.
Originally posted by BoUW49:
MD - I noticed you've dropped Michigan CB Donovan Warren more than 70 spots since your last Board. Was it just the poor combine showing, or are other things contributing to his plummeting stock?

Bad combine for him, great for others. Junior eligibles better put on a good show at the combine, or at their Pro-Day, since they don't have the opportunity to show their stuff to scouts at the post-season All-Star games. See Briscoe.

Warren ran an unofficial 4.59, which probably means it was officially in the mid-4.6's. He only benched 12 times, and didn't do the drills. Probably was a second-third round prospect before the draft, but value has fallen dramatically.