There are 116 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

MadDog's Post-Combine Full NFL Draft March 7 Edition

Since the Browns signed Cribbs for 3 yrs. $20 mill, and have numerous needs, I'm starting to doubt the Spiller at 7 pick. Would Seattle grab him at 6, realizing he won't last till pick 14? That might depend on the Brandon Marshall thing. This is going to be a very hard draft to predict. It's so strong and deep at many positions, although not at all of them. With all due respect, I'm clinging to my Spiller/Williams plan.
Looks like LSU players are on sale this year.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
MD, I see that you have soured on Iupati some. Last I heard, we needed to get him at 13 if we wanted him. Did the Senior Bowl game cause him to drop?
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Thanks MD. Curious on your thoughts regarding T.Williams/A.Davis comparisons. I know you used to love Davis. Why do you have Williams going before him, and who, in your eyes, is the better prospect?

Davis had a number of red flags going into the combine, and emerged with just as many. Didn't run the 40 fast, didn't look particularly sharp in drills, didn't interview well (from all reports), and looked flabby.

On the flip side, Williams ran well, looked pretty good in drills, is much more mature, and has lower bust potential.

So, in the end, I think that Davis drops to the bottom of the Big Five OT's, behind Okung, Campbell, Bulaga and Williams.
Originally posted by ninergold:
Thanks, Mad Dog. Haden really dropped with the 4.6, didn't he?

Haden has dropped a number of slots, but will probably still be the first corner off the board. Everything hinges now on his campus workout. Hopefully, he sets up some private sessions with Tom Shaw, who can get him corrected real fast.

Short and slow is a bad combination for a CB, so he needs to be very careful.
I notice after Graham there's a big drop until the next OLB, is this a weak class for pass rushers?
Originally posted by rivercity:
Let the serious mocking begin! Great job. I almost wept when I saw Spiller going at 7, but I've got a terrible feeling you're right.

One small spelling thing: It's Owusu-Ansah, not Owuso. And you sure wrecked my mock by moving him from 161 to 70. Pretty rarefied air for a DII guy from the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference.

I think Cleveland's stuck in a real hole at number 7. I believe both QB's will be off the board, and the same with Berry. I do not think they will be enamored with Bryant (Mangini is the same guy who labeled Crabtree as a "diva"), and they don't need Morgan since they run a 3-4 defense. I doubt they draft an OT. So, they are pretty much left to Spiller.

Thanks for the spelling correction on Owusu. Major goof. The kid impressed me more than any other corner at the draft not named Devin McCourty. Fast, big, and good feet. Since he looks healthy again, I lifted the mid-round curse on him. Hence, the third round grade. I'd love to see the Niners get a shot at 79, but I don't think he'll be on the board.
Hey MadDog, great job as usual.

Do you see Nate Allen (South Florida S) as a possible pick at #49?
how far does campbell fall should the raiders not take him?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Let the serious mocking begin! Great job. I almost wept when I saw Spiller going at 7, but I've got a terrible feeling you're right.

One small spelling thing: It's Owusu-Ansah, not Owuso. And you sure wrecked my mock by moving him from 161 to 70. Pretty rarefied air for a DII guy from the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference.

I think Cleveland's stuck in a real hole at number 7. I believe both QB's will be off the board, and the same with Berry. I do not think they will be enamored with Bryant (Mangini is the same guy who labeled Crabtree as a "diva"), and they don't need Morgan since they run a 3-4 defense. I doubt they draft an OT. So, they are pretty much left to Spiller.

Thanks for the spelling correction on Owusu. Major goof. The kid impressed me more than any other corner at the draft not named Devin McCourty. Fast, big, and good feet. Since he looks healthy again, I lifted the mid-round curse on him. Hence, the third round grade. I'd love to see the Niners get a shot at 79, but I don't think he'll be on the board.

Some thoughts. First, JPP is a bit low I believe. Everything I hear tells me that he'll be the first DE off the board. Reports also indicate that TB is strongly considering him at #3--granted that was the case before one of the top DTs was projected to slip to #3. Will Mangini take another freak athlete to play OLB? Clearly there's reason to belive that he won't. OT, however, is definitely a possibility for Cle. With a top RT, they can have one of the best OLs in the game--which is what you need when you're in a division with Baltimore and Pittsburgh.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

IF both the QBs and Berry are gone then I could see Cleveland trading back a few into the mid 1st round and picking up another 2nd.
MD - I noticed you've dropped Michigan CB Donovan Warren more than 70 spots since your last Board. Was it just the poor combine showing, or are other things contributing to his plummeting stock?
As always MD great work

Now some questions for ya

Regarding the Spiller pick to Cle that you will get blasted with. You said, "I do not think they will be enamored with Bryant (Mangini is the same guy who labeled Crabtree as a "diva")" My counter to that statement is the new front office namely Tom Heckert Jr is the man in charge and his record on drafting WR's is pretty strong. I don't see Mangini making it more then another 2 years in Cle so Holmgren and Heckert will take who they want. I can see either Bryant or Spiller going to Cle, but I still have my money on Bryant.

Regarding the Haden pick.....take it back Seriously I don't want the kid here, something about him, not sure but I don't see him as a future stud.

John Jerry at 61 while Jon Asamoah is at 72?

Linval Joseph at 97...I thought he would be more of a 4th-5th round guy. I know he was a rotational player and his conditioning has raised a few questions...I was hoping he would be a later round steal for us.

Jonathan Dwyer at 99 damn what did he do to you?

Regarding the 2nd round and who could be available and who I like:
51 Brandon Spikes
52 Nate Allen South Florida S
56 Chris Cook Virginia CB/FS
61 John Jerry Mississippi G/OT
Is there anybody else who you see as a potential target that I'm missing?
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Wow, Saffold at #28? . . . . that's the only one that sticks out at the moment.

Rodger Saffold took a giant leap forward and made a lot of money at the combine. The concern is that he would only measure at 6'4", but he was closer to 6'5", looked in great shape, and was terrific in drills.

In that second level of OT's (after Okung, Campbell, Bulaga, Williams, Davis, Brown), he really stood out, and was head and shoulders more impressive than Ducasse, who went in reverse at the combine. As you know, LT's are hot commodities in the draft, and have extraordinary value.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
wow good job but why is suh behind mccoy?

The Lions just traded for Cory Williams, who will be a NG in their 4-3 front. I think they will go for the more explosive of the two DT's in McCoy.

To me, Suh offers better versatility on the inside, as he can play the NG or undertackle. And, the Bucs, if this draft scenario holds up, will be the happiest team in the planet. They supposedly love Suh.