LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 238 users in the forums

My argument for what should be drafted with our first two picks

• rtj03
  • Veteran
I am a sucker for the draft and I wish we could have them all, but this year we get two first rounders and I feel we need to fill them with speed at the skill positions.

First, I agree that the o-line needs some work but I am haunted by the Falcons & Titans games. Our team is slow. If you remember those games, Roddy White and Chris Johnson(he made several D's look bad) made our D look bad. Nobody was close to catching them. We have a strong D, but it could use some speed. Our Offense is growing but is predictable and slow. Morgan, Crabtree are good but not burners. Our fastest player is V Davis and he is a TE that blocks 50% of the time.

I feel that with pick #1 we take Spiller. Can read all the threads that support this. Im on the bandwagon.

Pick #2, I ask for Kyle Wilson,or T May (I know I was not crazy about him but the combine was impressive). I feel K Wilson is a true playmaker and a possible future probowler. He was one of the best players at the Senior Bowl and made plays all year for Boise. Mays, can turn out to be a fantastic SS. He has desire like Brian Cushing and Clay Mathews do and he will work and work until he becomes the best player at his position. Imagine him and D. Gold back in the secondary.

It is much easier to find big bodies for the o-line in rounds 2-4 than it is to find special players with unique attributes in those rounds.
I agree!
I'll agree with you on Spiller, but Taylor Mays? Yes, there are some highlight reel hits and his workouts were terrific, but can he play football at the next level? I just don't get the same good feeling about him like I did when Polamalu came out. Sorry but I would go offensive lineman with that pick and take Devin McCourty or Kyle Wilson at CB with the second pick.
you might be haunted bu the falcons and titan games only but im haunted bu every game other than the jacguars where we had pressure constantly this is including teams like the rams and lions OT first and earl thomas iupati or spiller at 17
  • rtj03
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
I'll agree with you on Spiller, but Taylor Mays? Yes, there are some highlight reel hits and his workouts were terrific, but can he play football at the next level? I just don't get the same good feeling about him like I did when Polamalu came out. Sorry but I would go offensive lineman with that pick and take Devin McCourty or Kyle Wilson at CB with the second pick.

Kyle wilson wont last that long. He will be gone in the 20's
i like mays with the 17th pick i think if he can be taught. ive been watchin tape on him and the dude doesnt even look up for the ball, he looks for the take out shot. i think him with our D can be scary tho.
Spiller with our 1st at #13 and the best RT at #17.........Taking Mays or Wilson is too high for #17.
I agree with your thinking, but not your exact conclusion.

I want Spiller at #13 and Earl Thomas at #17.

I think Thomas is the component our D has been lacking, a fast safety with dependable coverage skills. The kind of guy that our CBs can count on, allowing them to play without as much fear. The kind of guy that's there to make the play on Roddy White when Clements misses the cut off on the pass and won't allow a last second miracle in the back of the end zone by Favre.

Then go OT in the 2nd and get a guard sometime between 3-5.
  • rtj03
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I agree with your thinking, but not your exact conclusion.

I want Spiller at #13 and Earl Thomas at #17.

I think Thomas is the component our D has been lacking, a fast safety with dependable coverage skills. The kind of guy that our CBs can count on, allowing them to play without as much fear. The kind of guy that's there to make the play on Roddy White when Clements misses the cut off on the pass and won't allow a last second miracle in the back of the end zone by Favre.

Then go OT in the 2nd and get a guard sometime between 3-5.

Why is Earl Thomas so great?
oh wow, i didnt even see this thread, I agree with drafting Spiller and Wilson then going after the best tackle and guard in rounds 2 and 3.

So...all season long our OL sucks...but cuz of 2 games we should forget about that and draft speed?
Originally posted by genus49:
So...all season long our OL sucks...but cuz of 2 games we should forget about that and draft speed?

lol same thing i said

Drafting speed has worked well for the Raiders....so why not?

• rtj03
  • Veteran
Originally posted by drake49er:

Drafting speed has worked well for the Raiders....so why not?

The raiders have holes everywhere and they dont have a foundation of good players like we do. The only thing we are really missing is speed.
pass on an blue chip tackle and/or a historically AWESOME guard to draft a scat back?

in a draft that has spiller Mckight and Best??

its not like its Shanny back there and he is going to game plan this guy in to the next Ricky Watters....

As a change of pace back special teamer and 3rd down back....

I would rather have The massive Guard and Best/Mcknight
Share 49ersWebzone