LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

TFraze's WishList-Football Players

OK, this is not a mock or a predictive off-season (who the hell ever gets those right?) This is a wish list of flat out FOOTBALL PLAYERS that I think are going to make an impact for some team...it may as well be the NINERS.

1. Cody Grimm - LB/S - VaTech (6-1, 201)
Ok, this dude might be my favorite combine player ever. He actually measured in two inches TALLER than he was listed in school. He played LB in school, but will be a SS in the league. I see him as being a stronger Jim Leonard potentially. I REALLY like what I've seen from this cat. I never thought he would make it in the league because he's always been listed as a 5-11 linebacker. He measured in at 6-1 and ran 4.64 in the 40...I think he can play.

2. Armanti Edwards - QB/RS - AppState (5-11, 189)
Dude's a winner. I was interested to see him run WR drills at the combine, but it didn't happen...or they didn't show it. He can be an emergency QB, but also could be a Julian Edelman type project. I wouldn't bet against this kid.

3. Walter Thurmond III - CB - Oregon (5-11, 190)
Before he hurt his knee laster year, he was on his way to being a combine focus story...now he is a darkhorse. But the boy can ball.

4. Jammie Kirlew - DE/OLB - Indiana (6-1, 255)
A slightly less talented Brandon Graham clone. This cat has almost as many monstrous TFL's in the Big Ten as BGraham (52.5 to Graham's 56). Touted for his high football and book IQ, he played in the shadow of Greg Middleton. Not a foolproof pick, but I think a late round shot is deserving here.

3. Brandon Minor - RB - Michigan (6-1, 225)
Minor had some issues with fumbles (given he was playing with a fractured wrist), but he has definitely seen every style offense and thrived. He has never really played as a feature back or been healthy for a whole season, but something tells me he can be very versatile and determined runner who can probably be had after the draft.

[ Edited by TommyFrazier on Mar 4, 2010 at 08:44:08 ]
Nice prospects.
we dont need to trade any picks we are in a prime position with 2 1st rounders in a draft filled with talent the problem i have is this conservative or cheap approach team is taking during free agency when we won our superbowl eddie d stockpilled our teams with quality veterans for our superbowl run now i know some may disagree but darren sharper nine ints 6 house calls is a great addition for a team weak at safety and pass defense michael lewis is one concussion away from retirement we need a safety i hate mark roman 1 pick in four years a s starter why would we not try to pick up a rolle or sharper both probowlers also t.o would be a good addition to wr corps to replace aging bruce and a non productive brandon jones if not t.o what about antonio bryant he was good for us one year great for tb next year he has some character issues but we have strong coach in place to deal with any characters remember at one point vernon davis was a character mike crabtree was supposed to be a diva both our prime playmakers under iron mike we need to stop being cheap and pick up a starter or two in free agency
nice to see some independant thought. Good job
Why would you want a small slow safety with limited range? Grimm is a backup player as a safety and will never be a legitimate starter at that position in the NFL.
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:
Why would you want a small slow safety with limited range? Grimm is a backup player as a safety and will never be a legitimate starter at that position in the NFL.

NV, question. How do you feel about our own safeties? Mainly R. Smith and Goldson. Thanks again for the great info!
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:

NV, question. How do you feel about our own safeties? Mainly R. Smith and Goldson. Thanks again for the great info!

R.Smith is of course, hard to grade out accurately as we haven't seen him much as a safety recently. Personally I was one of his bigger fans coming out of college I thought the questions about his coverage skills(especially as a saftey) were unjust and his change of direction/quickness skills were just fine. I am hoping the kid can develop as I have always been a fan of his but it is worrisome when a person can't beat out the likes of what we had starting last year. Now Goldson, its hard to hate on him because of the plays he makes but the kid also gets out of position a lot. I am hoping with time he can settle into a solid scheme and really just let himself be a ballhawk while still being in the right place. Overall we definetly have some question marks at safety but what we don't have in substance is definetly there in potential so we will just have to wait and see.
Share 49ersWebzone