There are 140 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

S Major Wright, FLA

What's everybody thoughts on this guy? Every time I watched Florida the past two years, his name would come up often simply because he absolutely lay the wood on any receiver. He would have at least two highlight type hits a game.

He's only a junior but he has comparable size to Eric Berry and he has the interception production (8) in his career. He ran 4.48 at the combine.

With Marcus Hudson probably not being resigned, that opens another DB spot and he has that headhunter attitude that McCloughan likes in the secondary.

So what am I missing? He seems to be more deserving than a mid round grade.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by DesiDez:

So what am I missing? He seems to be more deserving than a mid round grade.

I don't know why people think he's a mid round grade either. He's a very good safety. I think that much of Haden's success at Florida was because of Wright in the back and the ferocious front 7 up front.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
I think some sources don't really do much research on the guy. My guess is somewhere in mid 2nd to 3rd rounder. I wouldn't mind at all taking this guy with our 3rd but not sure he'll be there.
Originally posted by Walsh:
I think some sources don't really do much research on the guy. My guess is somewhere in mid 2nd to 3rd rounder. I wouldn't mind at all taking this guy with our 3rd but not sure he'll be there.

I agree. I don't know a whole lot about him because I hate the Gators.
I would love to select Major Wright in the 3rd or 4th.
National Football Post started paying attention to Wright as well.

Quote:
But after Berry, who was the next best safety?

Earl Thomas? Nope.

Taylor Mays? No.

Chad Jones? Um…maybe.

However, if forced to give an answer, I might very well say Florida’s Major Wright, who started off the day with an impressive 4.48 time in the 40 and was consistently one of the top performers in position drills.

Come think of it, this safety class is very deep this year. Throw in Morgan Burnett and Nate Allen, you can probably find a good prospect/potential starter in 4th rd.

I'm still predicting that Reggie Smith will challenge Michael Lewis for the other safety spot and McCloughan is in no rush to find a starter at safety especially in the 1st 3 rounds (unless Eric Berry falls into their laps). They did find Goldson in 4th.
Here are some highlight videos for those unfamiliar with Wright: This should give you an idea what I mean when he goes for the big hit rather than playing the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRBzUO8BuEo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQSp93yFyLw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG4v-VczrjE

Btw, Joe Haden fans should not watch the first video clip.

[ Edited by DesiDez on Mar 3, 2010 at 18:04:58 ]
Originally posted by DesiDez:
National Football Post started paying attention to Wright as well.

Quote:
But after Berry, who was the next best safety?

Earl Thomas? Nope.

Taylor Mays? No.

Chad Jones? Um…maybe.

However, if forced to give an answer, I might very well say Florida’s Major Wright, who started off the day with an impressive 4.48 time in the 40 and was consistently one of the top performers in position drills.

Come think of it, this safety class is very deep this year. Throw in Morgan Burnett and Nate Allen, you can probably find a good prospect/potential starter in 4th rd.

I'm still predicting that Reggie Smith will challenge Michael Lewis for the other safety spot and McCloughan is in no rush to find a starter at safety especially in the 1st 3 rounds (unless Eric Berry falls into their laps). They did find Goldson in 4th.

I have doubts about Reggie Smith.. He has barely made it on the field due to injuries or whatever.. There is practically no game tape on this guy.

I am not sure what we have with him. Given that, I have no problem at all with drafting another safety.
I like Major Wright a lot. Check out the mock I made right before the Senior Bowl. I think its still pretty darn good:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=137345&highlight=ninerjohn