LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

40 time errors!

Originally posted by solidg2000:
Joe Haden

-------
Solidg2000 "official" 40 time 4.4795

Thanks for the follow up! That's a full tenth faster than his "Official Combine" time.

Still not a great time for him, but his form was off, so there appears to be room for improvement. Makes me less concerned should the Niners take him.
Joe Haden

-------

Once again you watching a tape over and over on your computer holding a stop watch and doing what you fell is an accurate time is not an official time...
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Joe Haden

-------

Once again you watching a tape over and over on your computer holding a stop watch and doing what you fell is an accurate time is not an official time...

hence the quotes on official
hey guys, sorry to burst your bubble but there is no official 40 time! the nfl has a few scouts who time the 40 and an electronic timer, they send all of those times to each team with no official time. the official time is for TV purposes.

http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/20252076

[ Edited by schmons on Mar 4, 2010 at 23:28:43 ]
Originally posted by schmons:
hey guys, sorry to burst your bubble but there is no official 40 time! the nfl has a few scouts who time the 40 and an electronic timer, they send all of those times to each team with no official time. the official time is for TV purposes.

Everyone but SanDiego has accepted this already

Yeah you watching a tape by your computer and sitting there like an arm chair GM is more accurate than official electronic timed combine results. Sorry how could I possibly second guess you...
Mays hand moves slightly just before he starts his run, maybe that triggered the timer and thats the reason he was officially over 4,4

To the naked eye i thought Best was the fastest of them all.

Yeah you watching a tape by your computer and sitting there like an arm chair GM is more accurate than official electronic timed combine results. Sorry how could I possibly second guess you...

I never claimed I was right, that was just what I clocked them at
and they are not electronicly timed, they are electronicaly stopped. The start is what we are worried about, and that is manually starters
Joe Haden

-------

thanks for putting that together
taylor mays is on my wish list he ran a 4.24 the combine screwed him we need to draft this guy last safety we drafted from usc is a hall of famer now ronnie lott
on another note i mad we are being cheap in free agency we dont need to trade any picks we are in a prime position with 2 1st rounders in a draft filled with talent the problem i have is this conservative or cheap approach team is taking during free agency when we won our superbowl eddie d stockpilled our teams with quality veterans for our superbowl run now i know some may disagree but darren sharper nine ints 6 house calls is a great addition for a team weak at safety and pass defense michael lewis is one concussion away from retirement we need a safety i hate mark roman 1 pick in four years a s starter why would we not try to pick up a rolle or sharper both probowlers also t.o would be a good addition to wr corps to replace aging bruce and a non productive brandon jones if not t.o what about antonio bryant he was good for us one year great for tb next year he has some character issues but we have strong coach in place to deal with any characters remember at one point vernon davis was a character mike crabtree was supposed to be a diva both our prime playmakers under iron mike we need to stop being cheap and pick up a starter or two in free agency

Originally posted by smileyman:
I trust these combine results much better than any pro day results or the unofficial times.

The unofficial times that NFLN uses during the broadcasts are simply someone in the booth with a stopwatch, which isn't exactly error free. Thus the large discrepancies.

NFL uses electronic timers that record the time when the runner passes by. Pretty hard to introduce error in that.

The Pro Day times come on tracks, with friendly personnell holding the stopwatches.

Also every coach and GM there had their own stopwatch and was recording the 40 times. Some of them don't even record the whole thing and are just interested in the 10 yard time.

Finally the 40 yard dash time has no bearing on actual football speed. Example: Chris Johnson recorded a 4.24 at the combine, Patrick Willis ran a 4.49, yet Willis was able to chase Johnson down in the open field.

On 1 play when the guy was cutting back...

Johnson was not cutting back on the play I have in mind. He was running down the sideline and Willis came from the middle of the field to chase him down and push him out of bounds.

If you are on the sideline you are boxed in on one side. Therefore you are constrained on speed by that boxing in. And one play doesn't mean jack. I can run down Chris Johnson on 1 play in the season. But I can't at least 99.999999% of the time and neither can anybody else in the open field.

Don't you know about the willis. Willis could be the doctor of a women giving birth to 6 kids from 6 different fathers and still have time to catch Chris Johnson...
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
I trust these combine results much better than any pro day results or the unofficial times.

The unofficial times that NFLN uses during the broadcasts are simply someone in the booth with a stopwatch, which isn't exactly error free. Thus the large discrepancies.

NFL uses electronic timers that record the time when the runner passes by. Pretty hard to introduce error in that.

The Pro Day times come on tracks, with friendly personnell holding the stopwatches.

Also every coach and GM there had their own stopwatch and was recording the 40 times. Some of them don't even record the whole thing and are just interested in the 10 yard time.

Finally the 40 yard dash time has no bearing on actual football speed. Example: Chris Johnson recorded a 4.24 at the combine, Patrick Willis ran a 4.49, yet Willis was able to chase Johnson down in the open field.

On 1 play when the guy was cutting back...

Johnson was not cutting back on the play I have in mind. He was running down the sideline and Willis came from the middle of the field to chase him down and push him out of bounds.

If you are on the sideline you are boxed in on one side. Therefore you are constrained on speed by that boxing in. And one play doesn't mean jack. I can run down Chris Johnson on 1 play in the season. But I can't at least 99.999999% of the time and neither can anybody else in the open field.

Don't you know about the willis. Willis could be the doctor of a women giving birth to 6 kids from 6 different fathers and still have time to catch Chris Johnson...

Good one
Share 49ersWebzone