There are 42 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

40 time errors!

THe Combine I think releases official "official" times in a couple weeks as far as I've heard.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by solidg2000:
I was bored so I did this

Using NFL.com videos of the combine
I took 10 times on both CJ Spiller and Taylor Mays

CJ Spiller
-------
Solidg2000s official 40 time 4.308

Taylor Mays
-------
Solidg2000s official 40 time 4.2633

As I understand it, you're saying you played the tape of their 40's and timed them yourself, 10 times each, recorded each one, then averaged them out? And these are your results?

Seems reasonable to me, and raises the question, why doesn't the NFL Combine do the same--take their "official" times off the video replay--which would eliminate any problems with starting and stopping the timer (electronic or handheld).

Do me a favor and do the same thing with Joe Haden's 40, if you can. He doesn't look that slow when he's running the 40, but his time was terrible. Makes me wonder if there wasn't some kind of problem with the timer.

With Haden it is more of a terrible form. Which is part of the reason why it was such a bad time for that guy.
My power at the house is out cause of the rain, I'll do it after I get power back on

San Diego
You do know while the 10, 20 and 40 yard marks are stopped electronicly
they are started manually, so that eliminates all hopes of getting a real official time.
This has been talked about a lot lately so I'd don't know why you still believe them to be the end all be all
Originally posted by dhp318:
People who blindly believe electronic timers are retarded... Scouts and professionals might not be absolutely accurate, but they are likely precise because they do it so often. And that precision is all that matters since speeds are important when you compare players relative to one another. I don't first of all trust even the electronic finishes, but I think that it's based on when there's movement detected (laser?), so depending on where your hand/head is located when you're in your stride it makes a difference. That hurts players that run through rather than do the head bob forward. And I think we can all agree that a simple head bob doesn't make you a faster player. Furthermore, there are obvious discrepancies involved in the start times too, probably because it's based on some sort of movement. Hence why Mays and Spiller probably were penalized for not cocking their arm all the way back in their starting stance. If you can believe an electronic system without knowing how it exactly works, then you're doing it wrong.

As a track coach that uses a Fully Automated Timing system, i must be retared. The fact of believing a hand time make u a retard. esp in such a short race. There is a much greater room for error. plus anytime that you use a hand time vs a FAT time we will add .24 to all hand times to get a more accurate reading. This is why the have strict rules for the player movement. A hand time is using the judgement and speed of the judges reaction to that movement. But agin basing a decision on a 40 time will make everyone on here Al davis

CJ Spiller
-------

Taylor Mays
-------

As I understand it, you're saying you played the tape of their 40's and timed them yourself, 10 times each, recorded each one, then averaged them out? And these are your results?

Seems reasonable to me, and raises the question, why doesn't the NFL Combine do the same--take their "official" times off the video replay--which would eliminate any problems with starting and stopping the timer (electronic or handheld).

Do me a favor and do the same thing with Joe Haden's 40, if you can. He doesn't look that slow when he's running the 40, but his time was terrible. Makes me wonder if there wasn't some kind of problem with the timer.

With Haden it is more of a terrible form. Which is part of the reason why it was such a bad time for that guy.
My power at the house is out cause of the rain, I'll do it after I get power back on

San Diego
they are started manually, so that eliminates all hopes of getting a real official time.
This has been talked about a lot lately so I'd don't know why you still believe them to be the end all be all

It's more end all be all than you sitting by your computer with a stop watch and timing them over and over based on some not live tape which may or may not have lag in it...
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
People who blindly believe electronic timers are retarded... Scouts and professionals might not be absolutely accurate, but they are likely precise because they do it so often. And that precision is all that matters since speeds are important when you compare players relative to one another. I don't first of all trust even the electronic finishes, but I think that it's based on when there's movement detected (laser?), so depending on where your hand/head is located when you're in your stride it makes a difference. That hurts players that run through rather than do the head bob forward. And I think we can all agree that a simple head bob doesn't make you a faster player. Furthermore, there are obvious discrepancies involved in the start times too, probably because it's based on some sort of movement. Hence why Mays and Spiller probably were penalized for not cocking their arm all the way back in their starting stance. If you can believe an electronic system without knowing how it exactly works, then you're doing it wrong.

As a track coach that uses a Fully Automated Timing system, i must be retared. The fact of believing a hand time make u a retard. esp in such a short race. There is a much greater room for error. plus anytime that you use a hand time vs a FAT time we will add .24 to all hand times to get a more accurate reading. This is why the have strict rules for the player movement. A hand time is using the judgement and speed of the judges reaction to that movement. But agin basing a decision on a 40 time will make everyone on here Al davis

They should use the exact same timing system as is accepted in international track and field competitions. It would ensure fairness and accuracy and it would be really fun comparing their times to world record holding sprinters.

I am an electrical engineer. Anyone who thinks that a modern electronic timing system is somehow inferior to hand timing in accuracy, precision, repeatability, or any other metric of performance is delusional.
Originally posted by SF4EVA:

difference in track you control the start
In 40 times, the runner controls the start
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

CJ Spiller
-------

Taylor Mays
-------

San Diego

It's more end all be all than you sitting by your computer with a stop watch and timing them over and over based on some not live tape which may or may not have lag in it...

no one told you to comment, accept or acknowledge those 40 times
I dont need a stop watch to tell me Spiller is fast, real fast
Joe Haden

-------
Solidg2000 "official" 40 time 4.4795
Joe Haden

-------

now do rich eisen
Originally posted by valrod33:
Joe Haden

-------

now do rich eisen

Rich Eisen
-------
To be even more precise you could take out the highest and lowest time and then average them. It is suppose to help with human error, which is kind of ironic. Thanks for taking the time to do all this.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
To be even more precise you could take out the highest and lowest time and then average them. It is suppose to help with human error, which is kind of ironic. Thanks for taking the time to do all this.
Joe Haden
Rich Eisen
Taylor Mays
CJ Spiller
Thanks. I was wondering why all scouts and GM were using stopwatches when the NFL has their own electric timer. Wonder if the NFL's mistake helps the 9ers by having Haden slip to them?
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Joe Haden
Rich Eisen
Taylor Mays
CJ Spiller

We need to draft Rich Eisen