LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

40 time errors!

• Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Check this out How fast did Mays run?

thats f**ked, holliday supposed ran 4.34 and mays a 4.43, yet mays is out in front of holliday. Mays is pretty damn fast

Good video, OT and Mays in the 1st, McCluster in the 2nd.
Originally posted by Chief:

thats f**ked, holliday supposed ran 4.34 and mays a 4.43, yet mays is out in front of holliday. Mays is pretty damn fast

That's pretty enticing.
Dam. How is Al Davis supposed to decide who he is going to draft in the first round.
40 times are so rigged. They shouldn't even allow a player to get into a sprinters stance. They will never ever ever take off from that position. It makes much more sense to have them standing in any upright stance they want and run at the buzzer or something. So much of sprinting is technique, especially in the 40.
Originally posted by Niner_Demon:
Dam. How is Al Davis supposed to decide who he is going to draft in the first round.

I thought he just picks the guy that runs the fastest. Jacoby Ford, welcome to Oakland...
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Originally posted by Chief:

That's pretty nauseating.

FIXED
Originally posted by smileyman:
I trust these combine results much better than any pro day results or the unofficial times.

The unofficial times that NFLN uses during the broadcasts are simply someone in the booth with a stopwatch, which isn't exactly error free. Thus the large discrepancies.

NFL uses electronic timers that record the time when the runner passes by. Pretty hard to introduce error in that.

The Pro Day times come on tracks, with friendly personnell holding the stopwatches.

Also every coach and GM there had their own stopwatch and was recording the 40 times. Some of them don't even record the whole thing and are just interested in the 10 yard time.

Finally the 40 yard dash time has no bearing on actual football speed. Example: Chris Johnson recorded a 4.24 at the combine, Patrick Willis ran a 4.49, yet Willis was able to chase Johnson down in the open field.

It's only measured electronically for the finish. The start is still done manually, so there is still plenty of room for error.
Originally posted by mug0mug:
I trust these combine results much better than any pro day results or the unofficial times.

The unofficial times that NFLN uses during the broadcasts are simply someone in the booth with a stopwatch, which isn't exactly error free. Thus the large discrepancies.

NFL uses electronic timers that record the time when the runner passes by. Pretty hard to introduce error in that.

The Pro Day times come on tracks, with friendly personnell holding the stopwatches.

Also every coach and GM there had their own stopwatch and was recording the 40 times. Some of them don't even record the whole thing and are just interested in the 10 yard time.

Finally the 40 yard dash time has no bearing on actual football speed. Example: Chris Johnson recorded a 4.24 at the combine, Patrick Willis ran a 4.49, yet Willis was able to chase Johnson down in the open field.

It's only measured electronically for the finish. The start is still done manually, so there is still plenty of room for error.

So you feel hand timed at the START AND FINISH is more accurate than electronic at the finish... By what logic is that? 2 times hand timed at the start and finish is better than one hand timed at the start and electronic at the finish. Yeah no room for error there using hand times at both ends...
People who blindly believe electronic timers are retarded... Scouts and professionals might not be absolutely accurate, but they are likely precise because they do it so often. And that precision is all that matters since speeds are important when you compare players relative to one another. I don't first of all trust even the electronic finishes, but I think that it's based on when there's movement detected (laser?), so depending on where your hand/head is located when you're in your stride it makes a difference. That hurts players that run through rather than do the head bob forward. And I think we can all agree that a simple head bob doesn't make you a faster player. Furthermore, there are obvious discrepancies involved in the start times too, probably because it's based on some sort of movement. Hence why Mays and Spiller probably were penalized for not cocking their arm all the way back in their starting stance. If you can believe an electronic system without knowing how it exactly works, then you're doing it wrong.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

On 1 play when the guy was cutting back...

Johnson was not cutting back on the play I have in mind. He was running down the sideline and Willis came from the middle of the field to chase him down and push him out of bounds.

If you are on the sideline you are boxed in on one side. Therefore you are constrained on speed by that boxing in. And one play doesn't mean jack. I can run down Chris Johnson on 1 play in the season. But I can't at least 99.999999% of the time and neither can anybody else in the open field.

You could run down... Chris. Johnson. No offense but I do not believe you for a second

Originally posted by chico49erfan:

On 1 play when the guy was cutting back...

Johnson was not cutting back on the play I have in mind. He was running down the sideline and Willis came from the middle of the field to chase him down and push him out of bounds.

If you are on the sideline you are boxed in on one side. Therefore you are constrained on speed by that boxing in. And one play doesn't mean jack. I can run down Chris Johnson on 1 play in the season. But I can't at least 99.999999% of the time and neither can anybody else in the open field.

You could run down... Chris. Johnson. No offense but I do not believe you for a second

It appears that some of us did not take Geometry which is OK because only 2 years of maths is required and I think Algebra is the cutoff.
I was bored so I did this

Using NFL.com videos of the combine
I took 10 times on both CJ Spiller and Taylor Mays

CJ Spiller
-------
Solidg2000s official 40 time 4.308

Taylor Mays
-------
Solidg2000s official 40 time 4.2633
Originally posted by solidg2000:

CJ Spiller
-------

Taylor Mays
-------

As I understand it, you're saying you played the tape of their 40's and timed them yourself, 10 times each, recorded each one, then averaged them out? And these are your results?

Seems reasonable to me, and raises the question, why doesn't the NFL Combine do the same--take their "official" times off the video replay--which would eliminate any problems with starting and stopping the timer (electronic or handheld).

Do me a favor and do the same thing with Joe Haden's 40, if you can. He doesn't look that slow when he's running the 40, but his time was terrible. Makes me wonder if there wasn't some kind of problem with the timer.
good s**t solidg2000!!!

[ Edited by SFCH3DDERZ on Mar 3, 2010 at 15:48:47 ]
Originally posted by solidg2000:

CJ Spiller
-------

Taylor Mays
-------

Sorry the times are official electronic times. Not your hand times from watching the video.
Share 49ersWebzone