There are 330 users in the forums

RB @ 17!

Okay I seriosuly think one of the top OT's will fall to us at 13 & we grab him. Oakland is bound to f**k it up somehow either which way.

Okay no secret we need a solid #2 back. Too many people here love Spiller. But the best running back not talked of until soon because after his combine, then his pro day RYAN MATHEWS is going to be the hot cock! he's rising, especially after watching & listening to the scouts. i think he's the most pure rb in the draft. a real rb. classic feel good story. 5'11 225 solid, good break away speed!

Diego, Det, Wsh, Sea all need a RB bad, no way he makes back in the 2nd round. It's like when you see something good and it's right there you have to go with your gut, becasue he's not going to make it back around.

Best example is the Carolina Panthers!! Check it. They drafted Jonathan Stewart @ 13. Already had Deangelo Williams. They had other needs especially at Qb, D. Passed on Flacco, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. Has it worked out for them? f**k yeah! both rushed for over 1,000 yds!

Dal drafting Felix Jones in the 1st rd with Barber still at the helm, no Jones isa huge threat.

Look at the Jets last year with Shonn Greene in the second over a WR which they needed, but that turned out great for them. nice compliment to Thomas Jones, now is probally the new starting rb

Pit drafting Rashard Mendenhall. they new he was to good to be true (time will tell but he's shown flashes when healthy), plus willie parker came off a 1300 yd season (but injury prone to)

Pipe dreams...................
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wailers15:
Okay I seriosuly think one of the top OT's will fall to us at 13 & we grab him. Oakland is bound to f**k it up somehow either which way.

Okay no secret we need a solid #2 back. Too many people here love Spiller. But the best running back not talked of until soon because after his combine, then his pro day RYAN MATHEWS is going to be the hot cock! he's rising, especially after watching & listening to the scouts. i think he's the most pure rb in the draft. a real rb. classic feel good story. 5'11 225 solid, good break away speed!

Diego, Det, Wsh, Sea all need a RB bad, no way he makes back in the 2nd round. It's like when you see something good and it's right there you have to go with your gut, becasue he's not going to make it back around.

Best example is the Carolina Panthers!! Check it. They drafted Jonathan Stewart @ 13. Already had Deangelo Williams. They had other needs especially at Qb, D. Passed on Flacco, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. Has it worked out for them? f**k yeah! both rushed for over 1,000 yds!

Dal drafting Felix Jones in the 1st rd with Barber still at the helm, no Jones isa huge threat.

Look at the Jets last year with Shonn Greene in the second over a WR which they needed, but that turned out great for them. nice compliment to Thomas Jones, now is probally the new starting rb

Pit drafting Rashard Mendenhall. they new he was to good to be true (time will tell but he's shown flashes when healthy), plus willie parker came off a 1300 yd season (but injury prone to)

Detroit like Kevin Smith but he is coming off the injury and they don;t want to part with Maurice Morris so I doubt they spend a high pick on a RB. More likely a 3rd-4th rounder.

San Diego drafted Turner and Sproles in the middle rounds and will be in the market for Thomas Jones. AJ Smith may or may not use a high pick on one.

Washington runs Shanny's ZBS and Shanny simply does not blow high draft picks on RB's so slim but unlikely chance he goes and gets one early.

Seattle needs a bigger back to compliment Jones/Forsett. Carroll could opt to take one early, but he could hold off for one of his boys (McKnight/Johnson) or they could pursue Julius brother Thomas as well.

Houston/Cleveland are the teams to fear that could be in pursuit of Matthews.
Originally posted by wailers15:

And now Luke Moore is their QB, and Chris Gamble is their only corner. It worked for a season when they drafted a RT even though they already had one of the best O-lines in football. In case you didn't see any 49er games, one rookie RT isn't going to make us one of the best O-lines in football. Right now we're just hoping to be in the middle of the pack.

It hasn't worked out "great" for the Panthers either. This year both those players rushed for over 1,100 yards. They were the first duo in history to do this, but it still didn't get them to the playoffs. They ran for 2,200 yards and didn't make the playoffs. I'd rather make the playoffs than have two players that are fun to watch. I want us to be drafting for a sustained dynasty, and that means Pass-rusher/Corner/Safety and Offensive Tackle. We need a defensive play-maker more than we need an offensive play-maker. If anything we need a new OC, not new players.

Ryan Mathews isn't that type of back. He's a Frank Gore type of back, 4-7 yards consistently. Unless we're trading Gore there'd be no reason to take him that early, might as well just wait 'till the 2nd and get a back.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by foreign49er:
And now Luke Moore is their QB, and Chris Gamble is their only corner. It worked for a season when they drafted a RT even though they already had one of the best O-lines in football. In case you didn't see any 49er games, one rookie RT isn't going to make us one of the best O-lines in football. Right now we're just hoping to be in the middle of the pack.

It hasn't worked out "great" for the Panthers either. This year both those players rushed for over 1,100 yards. They were the first duo in history to do this, but it still didn't get them to the playoffs. They ran for 2,200 yards and didn't make the playoffs. I'd rather make the playoffs than have two players that are fun to watch. I want us to be drafting for a sustained dynasty, and that means Pass-rusher/Corner/Safety and Offensive Tackle. We need a defensive play-maker more than we need an offensive play-maker. If anything we need a new OC, not new players.

Ryan Mathews isn't that type of back. He's a Frank Gore type of back, 4-7 yards consistently. Unless we're trading Gore there'd be no reason to take him that early, might as well just wait 'till the 2nd and get a back.

His name is Matt Moore

The drafting of Jeff Otah by Carolina filled a need and they had to trade up to secure him. The LT at the time Travelle Wharton was average at best out there, he was better suited to LG which is where he ended up after that draft. Jordan Gross moved over to LT with Otah being entrenched at RT.
I don't see backup running back as being very high on our list of priorities and certainly not justifying anywhere near a 1st round pick.

RBs do not need a long development time. You basically draft them and turn them loose. When Frank has had enough, or nea that point, we can start to look out for his replacement.

Meantime OT, OG, OLB, S, should keep us busy.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by foreign49er:

His name is Matt Moore

The drafting of Jeff Otah by Carolina filled a need and they had to trade up to secure him. The LT at the time Travelle Wharton was average at best out there, he was better suited to LG which is where he ended up after that draft. Jordan Gross moved over to LT with Otah being entrenched at RT.

Damnit. My point is one RB and a RT won't have the same impact here as it did in Carolina. Especially not Ryan Mathews who is a Frank Gore type runner, A guy who gets better the more carries he gets, the two of them splitting carries just wouldn't work.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by English:
I don't see backup running back as being very high on our list of priorities and certainly not justifying anywhere near a 1st round pick.

RBs do not need a long development time. You basically draft them and turn them loose. When Frank has had enough, or nea that point, we can start to look out for his replacement.

Meantime OT, OG, OLB, S, should keep us busy.

English, I've noticed you've been opposed to drafting a RB in all your postes.A Change Of Pace RB isn't a backup to Gore, it's another weapon to use on favorable down and distances.The key to success is SPEED in the COP back.
Share 49ersWebzone