There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jake's Mock

It's been a while since I've done one of these...

I'd be real happy if I saw something like this:

1st a) Trade down for a mid-low first and a mid-low 2nd.
b) Iupati
c) Brown
2nd a)Jahvid Best
b) Nate Allen
3rd Used to move up and grab Nate
4th Linval Joseph

I think this addresses most of our needs. Iupati plugs in at LG and gives us a chance to run to the left side. He's our new Larry. With Pashos likely to return, I think we can wait a little longer to pick up a OT. Brown gives us a guy that can Push Pashos his first year and will benefit if he doesn't take the starting role.
Jahvid Best gives us the change of pace back we're looking for that could potenially take over for Gore as he declines. Nate is one of the best cover safeties in college right now...and it's a position we could definately use help. Joseph is depth for us at NT and someone for Franklin to mentor. In the 5th, I'd like to see us take a CB..but honestly, I don't know who.

[ Edited by Jakemall on Apr 19, 2010 at 13:11:29 ]
Originally posted by Jakemall:
It's been a while since I've done one of these...

I'd be real happy if I saw something like this:

1st a) Trade down for a mid-low first and a mid-low 2nd.
b) Lupati
c) Brown
2nd a)Jahvid Best
b) Nate Allen
3rd Used to move up and grab Nate
4th Linval Joseph

I think this addresses most of our needs. Lupati plugs in at LG and gives us a chance to run to the left side. He's our new Larry. With Pashos likely to return, I think we can wait a little longer to pick up a OT. Brown gives us a guy that can Push Pashos his first year and will benefit if he doesn't take the starting role.
Jahvid Best gives us the change of pace back we're looking for that could potenially take over for Gore as he declines. Nate is one of the best cover safeties in college right now...and it's a position we could definately use help. Joseph is depth for us at NT and someone for Franklin to mentor. In the 5th, I'd like to see us take a CB..but honestly, I don't know who.

Not bad!

[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Feb 25, 2010 at 10:20:33 ]
So with two first-round picks, we end up with the 6th best tackle, an interior lineman, the 2nd or 3rd best RB with a history of injury problems, the 5th best DB, and a DT outside the top 10?

Pass.
Originally posted by sspiker:
So with two first-round picks, we end up with the 6th best tackle, an interior lineman, the 2nd or 3rd best RB with a history of injury problems, the 5th best DB, and a DT outside the top 10?

Pass.

As I recall we picked up Gore with that very same history. You'd rather take who at tackle? The 4 best OTs will be gone by the 10th pick. I'd rather trade down and get value. You could sub a CB for Best...but I like the pick. Have you seen that boy run?

I'm lost...what's wrong with getting the 5th best DB in the 2nd round (which happens to fill a need at the same time) or a DT that's not a top guy in in the 4th?

Were you hoping that I'd pick Okung, lupati, spiller and mays?

[ Edited by Jakemall on Feb 25, 2010 at 10:59:18 ]
I'll have a difficult time feeling good about the draft if we don't leave the 1st round with Joe Haden, CJ Spiller, or a top-flight RT.
I'll have a difficult time feeling good about the draft if we don't leave the 1st round with Joe Haden, CJ Spiller, or a top-flight RT.

So you think spending a 1st round pick on a CB or a HB is more important than working on our line and getting a new safety. I'm sorry, but I disagree. I won't complain if we get spiller, but we have more pressing needs than a high priced rookie CB.

[ Edited by Jakemall on Feb 25, 2010 at 12:58:42 ]
It's all about BPA...if there's a top CB like Haden on the board, I see McCloughan pulling the trigger. I also see Singletary wanting and getting his OT...someone not named Iupati. Whatever OT they pick, that player must have the ability to play both positions. Guys who can do that include Campbell, Bulaga and Brown. Knowing how McCloughan feels about OG's, I don't see Iupati as a 1st rd pick. Even if he's trying to learn how to play OT, he's still an OG who's an OT wannabe. Do you risk a 1st rd pick on that? I wouldn't. Get your OT who's mobile, and can zone block, because new OL Coach Solari isn't like Warhop or Foerster. He's a Bob McKittrick disciple, and that means to play for him you need quick feet, and the ability to lead screens, sweeps, and ability to zone block. All of those leave Trent Williams out of that equation, and Okung will be long gone. With two 1st rd picks, there's no reason to trade...unless some team just makes you a ridiculous offer that results in a minimum of two more high picks.

Pass.

As I recall we picked up Gore with that very same history. You'd rather take who at tackle? The 4 best OTs will be gone by the 10th pick. I'd rather trade down and get value. You could sub a CB for Best...but I like the pick. Have you seen that boy run?

I'm lost...what's wrong with getting the 5th best DB in the 2nd round (which happens to fill a need at the same time) or a DT that's not a top guy in in the 4th?

Were you hoping that I'd pick Okung, lupati, spiller and mays?

Please let me know where you get your magic crystal ball to predict the future.

Clausen, Bradford, Suh, McCoy, Bryant, Haden, Berry, McClain - which guy doesn't go top 10?

I don't mind a trade down but Charles Brown would be a bad pick. He's no RT.

I would be very disappointed if we walked away with 2 top 20 picks and got those 2 players in the first round + Nate Allen.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
It's Iupati, with an i and not an L.

So you think spending a 1st round pick on a CB or a HB is more important than working on our line and getting a new safety. I'm sorry, but I disagree. I won't complain if we get spiller, but we have more pressing needs than a high priced rookie CB.

If someone like Haden is available, absolutely. And I specifically said "top flight RT", which means I definitely want to work on our line. I also specifically said "the 1st round", which means I have no problem with taking a safety in the 2nd or 3rd... and that's exactly what you posted, so I'm not sure what your complaining about.

Any of these scenarios would make me happy: Haden/Spiller, Haden/RT, Spiller/RT. Your scenario would make me very disappointed.
@ Corvaninerfan -You could be right about BPA, but I would rather see us trade down with that pick unless we get another miracle drop on a player we can't resist a la Crabtree.

@ Genus49 - I prefer a magic 8 ball. They're proven to be more accurate than your run of the mill crystal ball. Why isn't Brown not a RT? It wasn't really 2 players + nate..it was more like 2 players + best and nate. If we can't get a top ranked RT and Brown really isn't a great option then looking down deeper in the draft would be the direction I'd go.

@23zack80 - thanks for the correction.

Sspiker - I'm not convinced that a stud CB changes our defense...there are possiblities in FA as well. I think making our offense more productive with the line will add more to our defense (keeping them fresher and off the field) than grabbing a CB. Now safety is a huge weak link..but you weren't arguing with me about that. I don't see us taking Spiller based on what we're hearing about the 9er braintrust's opinion on size of a hb. I think he'd be a great pick up, but also spending a #1 on a back sends a message to Gore.

Sspiker - I'm not convinced that a stud CB changes our defense...there are possiblities in FA as well. I think making our offense more productive with the line will add more to our defense (keeping them fresher and off the field) than grabbing a CB. Now safety is a huge weak link..but you weren't arguing with me about that. I don't see us taking Spiller based on what we're hearing about the 9er braintrust's opinion on size of a hb. I think he'd be a great pick up, but also spending a #1 on a back sends a message to Gore.

Well the message was already sent to Gore that they're going to rest him to keep him durable. We'll see how he reacts.

But this is quickly becoming a two-back league. Johnson/White, Rice/McGahee, Peterson/Taylor, create the best rushing attacks in the league. What message does it send to Gore? It tells him: you're getting some reinforcements to take your game, and our team, to the next level.

@ Genus49 - I prefer a magic 8 ball. They're proven to be more accurate than your run of the mill crystal ball. Why isn't Brown not a RT? It wasn't really 2 players + nate..it was more like 2 players + best and nate. If we can't get a top ranked RT and Brown really isn't a great option then looking down deeper in the draft would be the direction I'd go.

Ok well first of all Brown is a better pass blocker and lacks strength to get consistent push in the run game. Putting him in at RT would be stupid and I don't see him being better at LT than Staley so then what's the point? Hell given his weight I doubt McGloughan even has him on the board.

And you have us drafting Best with our original 2nd rounder...so the trade does nothing...not to mention you actually have us giving up a pick to come back up to draft Allen.

One thing this team shouldn't do is overreact and reach for players.
Originally posted by genus49:

Ok well first of all Brown is a better pass blocker and lacks strength to get consistent push in the run game. Putting him in at RT would be stupid and I don't see him being better at LT than Staley so then what's the point? Hell given his weight I doubt McGloughan even has him on the board.

And you have us drafting Best with our original 2nd rounder...so the trade does nothing...not to mention you actually have us giving up a pick to come back up to draft Allen.

I'll own it if brown isn't the RT we're looking for...but I'm not sure I follow about reaching...Allen isn't a reach imo.
Originally posted by genus49:

I'll own it if brown isn't the RT we're looking for...but I'm not sure I follow about reaching...Allen isn't a reach imo.

I was talking about Brown in the first round. I don't mind Allen I just don't think he's worth trading up for. Plus I just don't know if safety is that big of a need. We can certainly use the upgrade with Lewis and his concussions/age but I also think moving Goldson to SS and letting Reggie Smith play at FS could work.

I think the 2nd round could be a good place to grab a dropping 3-4 OLB. Improve the pass rush and improve the DB play instantaneously