There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

New SI Draft Board has some weirdness

SI just put out their top 50 draft board and it’s got some surprising placements. Haden is 5, Bruce Campbell at 9, Bradford 16, Clausen 23, Spiller 28 behind Mt. Cody (27)!!, Trent Williams 38 behind Maurkice Pouncey! There are seemingly cogent arguments for most of the placements (e.g., "scouts feel Spiller plays a soft game and question his ability to be a feature runner at the next level.")
If it went down like that, we’d be choosing for our two 1st-rounders among McClain and Earl Thomas (I doubt we’d go for Bradford with the shoulder thing), Sergio Kindle, Iupati, and Bulaga. 2d-round options might be Perrish Cox, Gilyard, Daryl Washington, Kareem Jackson, Corey Wooton. It’s probably whack, but it shows me that one sidenote to the strength and depth of this draft (and the question marks surrounding the QBs) is higher uncertainty in the first 2 rounds than usual. Thoughts from the Board-makers?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/02/23/combine.45/1.html
  • PFKMan23
  • Info N/A
It does have weirdness but I'm not sure I have any confidence in any mock pre-combine or pro day. I think we will have a much better picture after all that stuff ends.
I didn't see the first 21 picks, but I think it looks alright. I think Trent Williams could fall if teams peg him as a RT, which is very possible/likely.

Also, I know people hate on Cody, but he's a force in the middle and teams are always looking to shore up their interior DL, especially 3-4 defenses. I doubt he slides as much as everyone is projecting.

With Spiller, I wouldn't be surprised if he drops a little. He looks like a great change of pace guy and ST standout. I can see the concerns about taking him as your franchise RB. I love how they put Ryan Matthews as the biggest sleeper of the draft. He's the most complete RB, IMO.

I know the NFL loves size and speed, but GA Tech's WR looks like a boom or bust type of pick. He'll go early, even with the broken foot. He might be the riskiest pick of the draft.

[ Edited by strickac on Feb 24, 2010 at 08:31:56 ]
They are going the wrong way with Spiller. I think he's going to be a top 15 lock by the end of the combine, and probably gone before the Niners draft at 13.

Spiller is the most explosive player in this draft, and these difference-making players are very few. Look out for Denver at 10.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
They are going the wrong way with Spiller. I think he's going to be a top 15 lock by the end of the combine, and probably gone before the Niners draft at 13.

Spiller is the most explosive player in this draft, and these difference-making players are very few. Look out for Denver at 10.

True but you really think Denver can afford to go RB again? Not to mention all those free agent rb's they have and the fact that Eddie royal is pretty explosive in the return game. I was thinking they would go Dez Bryant if not McClain.

[ Edited by lamontb on Feb 24, 2010 at 13:21:43 ]
Originally posted by lamontb:

True but you really thin Denver can afford to go RB again? Not to mention all those free agent rb's they have and the fact that Eddie royal is pretty explosive in the return game. I was thinking they would go Dez Bryant is not McClain.

I agree. I don't think Denver will be interested in Spiller. They just got Moreno last year too.

I agree completely. This draft is deep but the speed guys are mostly little. Spiller's big enough. I'm just hoping he lasts till 13.
Originally posted by valrod33:

Dear Lord
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

Dear Lord

You ought to have to use 2 picks to get him, like buying an extra seat on a plane.

Now this thread needs a NSFW title!
Who is that?
Originally posted by pelos21:
Who is that?

Terrence Cody

Wow!! I did not need to see that..

I just do not see Denver taking a running back after picking Moreno last year. That would be shocking to me. With Brandon Marshall on the way out I have to believe that Dez Bryant is a lock to Denver if he is available.