There are 111 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

84 Minute Mayock Conference Call Re: Combine/Draft

We have to get get a RT in the first round. We can't take a chance in later rounds. IF we don't get a SOLID RT for next season, say hello to another 8-8 season! We can't contin ue to run Gore between the guards most of the game AND we have a Q.B. that loves to roll to the right side. W/O a R.T. we will SUCK!
The more I look at the way this draft is starting to shape up, I'm not so sure a top OT will be available @ #13! Maybe Trent Williams, but I'm not even sure about that? To be honest, if the top 4 OT's are gone, I wouldn't take one in the 1st round! Maryland's OT Bruce Campbell is a better pass blocker than run blocker and UMass OT Vladimir Ducasse (according to Mike Mayock) would not even be ready to start at RT on day 1! Why reach?

We can get great players who can step in and contribute from day 1. A DB or pass rushing LB, versatile RB/WR threat. As much as we need O-line help, we still need play-makers on both sides of the ball! According to Mike Mayock, he has Tennessee Safety Eric Berry rated as the #2 Safety, behind Earl Thomas from Texas! He says Berry could go at #12 overall. (Hmmm, the 49ers are sitting at #13.) Could Berry fall to us?

I wonder if we reach a little bit and still grab OG Mike Iupati at #16/17? He can play several positions, but we need to work on him holding so much if the 49ers draft him.

What do you guys think? Am I in the ballpark?

[ Edited by PTulini on Feb 23, 2010 at 22:59:57 ]
He said he had berry rated as the 12th rated player not going 12th in the draft. Iupati is not going to play RT day 1 of the season. If we draft iupati I hope we just stick him at LG and be happy with him there. You say don't reach for OT but you're okay with reaching for iupati? I don't see your logic there.
Originally posted by noobie:
He said he had berry rated as the 12th rated player not going 12th in the draft. Iupati is not going to play RT day 1 of the season. If we draft iupati I hope we just stick him at LG and be happy with him there. You say don't reach for OT but you're okay with reaching for iupati? I don't see your logic there.

I stand corrected. But even more the reason that Eric Berry could be there when the 49ers pick @ #13. As for Iupati, do not think that Mike Iupati would be a big reach @ pick #16/17. Iupati is said to be versatile enough to play ALL 5 positions on the offensive line! That would be tramendous value for the 49ers.
Why do so many believe what Mayock says/thinks? He can say whatever he wants...that doesn't make it so. I believe there is absolutely no way Singletary comes out of the 1st rd without his OT. Ideally you draft a guy who's capable of playing either LT or RT...most of the top 5 or so can do that. What Mayock may not get is that Singletary missed out on Oher last year because Crabtree fell to him. He also may not get that the Niners have two new OL coach's now...Solari's philosophy on OL is different, in that he employs some zone blocking, he expects his OL to be highly mobile and very agile, so they can lead screens, sweeps, etc. It's also possible if the guy they draft is a better LT than Staley, Joe could end up back at RT. That's a win-win situation in my book. Singletary will get his OT...in the 1st rd, no matter what Mayock or any other supposed expert thinks.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Why do so many believe what Mayock says/thinks? He can say whatever he wants...that doesn't make it so. I believe there is absolutely no way Singletary comes out of the 1st rd without his OT. Ideally you draft a guy who's capable of playing either LT or RT...most of the top 5 or so can do that. What Mayock may not get is that Singletary missed out on Oher last year because Crabtree fell to him. He also may not get that the Niners have two new OL coach's now...Solari's philosophy on OL is different, in that he employs some zone blocking, he expects his OL to be highly mobile and very agile, so they can lead screens, sweeps, etc. It's also possible if the guy they draft is a better LT than Staley, Joe could end up back at RT. That's a win-win situation in my book. Singletary will get his OT...in the 1st rd, no matter what Mayock or any other supposed expert thinks.

I completely agree with you. I think that some people (myself included) see Mike Mayock as one of the most accurate "draft experts" in recent years. More-so than guys like ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr!
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by noobie:

I stand corrected. But even more the reason that Eric Berry could be there when the 49ers pick @ #13. As for Iupati, do not think that Mike Iupati would be a big reach @ pick #16/17. Iupati is said to be versatile enough to play ALL 5 positions on the offensive line! That would be tramendous value for the 49ers.

I think iupati is a reach at 16/17. Mayock said iupati could play all 5 spots before the senior bowl. Think most ppl think the best he could be a right OT and even that could be a year down the line.
Originally posted by PTulini:
The more I look at the way this draft is starting to shape up, I'm not so sure a top OT will be available @ #13! Maybe Trent Williams, but I'm not even sure about that? To be honest, if the top 4 OT's are gone, I wouldn't take one in the 1st round! Maryland's OT Bruce Campbell is a better pass blocker than run blocker and UMass OT Vladimir Ducasse (according to Mike Mayock) would not even be ready to start at RT on day 1! Why reach?

We can get great players who can step in and contribute from day 1. A DB or pass rushing LB, versatile RB/WR threat. As much as we need O-line help, we still need play-makers on both sides of the ball! According to Mike Mayock, he has Tennessee Safety Eric Berry rated as the #2 Safety, behind Earl Thomas from Texas! He says Berry could go at #12 overall. (Hmmm, the 49ers are sitting at #13.) Could Berry fall to us?

I wonder if we reach a little bit and still grab OG Mike Iupati at #16/17? He can play several positions, but we need to work on him holding so much if the 49ers draft him.

What do you guys think? Am I in the ballpark?

To quote mayock..."Yup"
btw lot's of good info in that 84 mins.

[ Edited by highway49 on Feb 24, 2010 at 10:27:55 ]
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
When a teams OL suck's as bad as ours, normal rules no longer apply.

Upgrading/Improving our OL MUST be the #1 priority.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

If that means defying conventional wisdom by draft a guard Iupati at #13 or #17 then that is what must be done. It should be noted that Scotty was the Seahawks Director of College Scouting, when they drafted Hutchinson with their 1st rounder (#17).

If that means drafting a RT with a mid 1st rounder, so be it. Maybe we should just draft a LT and move Staley back to RT???

I work in IT and don't profess to have all the knowledge of a professional NFL GM, but I know enough about football to know that good teams are built from the inside out, starting with the OL, and ours sucks and it's time to fix it by drafting:

Bulaga and Iupati with our #13 and #16/17.

Wll Dave, this maybe the reason why most IT projects are never completed as planned. LOL...Terrible my friend The OL is really not at the point of panic and if it was, two rookies would ot solve the problem. Let get some spped on this team and we can pick up the fat boys later.
Good teams build offensive lines in a variety of different ways. I believe there was a recent article which illustrates my point. I know that I'm in the minority, but I don't think we need to reach for a RT if there isn't a guy who can step in and be an upgrade from day one. I am a firm believer that good coaching can make players better. Mike Singletary obviously hired Mike Solari and Ray Brown for a reason. I'm interested to see what they can do. I do agree that we need an upgrade at RT, but I'm not sure we need to reach for just any OT in round 1.
Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:
How does this float your boat?

1A - Spiller
1B - Brandon Graham
2 - Ducasse (who Mayock said could make a good NFL RT)

This is the perfect draft.
It'll be interesting to see how/when the best OT's begin flying off the board...it's become popular to expect Spiller or one of the BPA's to be there at #13...but my gut says if Singletary sees an alarming number gone early, he won't wait to get the next highest OT on his draft board. I also expect to see Charles Brown move up after the combine...he's very athletic and has LT ability, so could be a guy Solair may be very interested in. He could go late 1st rd, possibly higher, so is someone to keep an eye on. The thinking on OL candidates needs some modification from previous drafts, mainly due to Solari. He favors highly mobile/agile OL...guys who can lead screens, sweeps, and who can zone block. Bulaga, Campbell and Brown fit that criteria better than the others. Trent Williams is a popular pick for us, but he wouldn't stack up as well as the other three just mentioned. Whether it's at #13 or 16/17, I don't think it matters so much, but I just don't see any way Coach doesn't have his OT and BPA by the end of rd 1.
Im taking an OT in the first round. If we don't expect to see Alex getting hit and having to run for his life AGAIN.

In the last 7 or 8 years, only once has our O-Line been any way good (2006). Im sick and tired of watching all the QB's we put out there run for their lives, Gore have to fight tooth and nail just to get a 1 yard gain, on 4th and 1's/Trying to punch it into the endzone, having little to no faith in the line to be able to get a push.