There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

84 Minute Mayock Conference Call Re: Combine/Draft

Mayock 84 Mins Conf Call

Interesting point late on where he goes on to say that a Right Tackle shouldn't be taken in Round 1. Might move Trent Williams off a few draft boards.
How does this float your boat?

1A - Spiller
1B - Brandon Graham
2 - Ducasse (who Mayock said could make a good NFL RT)
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianUKNiner:

1A - Spiller
1B - Brandon Graham

The first 2/3 of the first round is for left tackles only in my opinion. The highest a right tackle should be taken is the end of the first round.

1A - Spiller
1B - Brandon Graham

Doesn't Ducasse need some work/time? I'd prefer Jason Fox, although I've read that Ducasse has a very high ceiling.

I'd love a Spiller and Graham first though

CHAMPIONSHIP!

PS... if Graham is gone, I'd love Lupati to replace Bass or the FS from texas...Thomas
Originally posted by irishluder:

1A - Spiller
1B - Brandon Graham

Doesn't Ducasse need some work/time? I'd prefer Jason Fox, although I've read that Ducasse has a very high ceiling.

CHAMPIONSHIP!

PS... if Graham is gone, I'd love Lupati to replace Bass or the FS from texas...Thomas

That is the great debate - whether Iupati could be a pro-bowl LG, or if Iupati could be a RT in the NFL? So Spiller and Graham would be great if we can get a quality RT out of the later rounds. We need the RT solidified, whenever it is that we pick one. So Graham, Spiller, and Saffold, or whoever, it would be a great draft to get three starters out of the draft.
We have to get a RT at some point in the draft for sure.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

That is the great debate - whether Iupati could be a pro-bowl LG, or if Iupati could be a RT in the NFL? So Spiller and Graham would be great if we can get a quality RT out of the later rounds. We need the RT solidified, whenever it is that we pick one. So Graham, Spiller, and Saffold, or whoever, it would be a great draft to get three starters out of the draft.

Kiper was saying the same thing about Chilo Rachel, a talented guard with fast enough feet to transition to RT, the year we drafted him.
When a teams OL suck's as bad as ours, normal rules no longer apply.

Upgrading/Improving our OL MUST be the #1 priority.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

If that means defying conventional wisdom by draft a guard Iupati at #13 or #17 then that is what must be done. It should be noted that Scotty was the Seahawks Director of College Scouting, when they drafted Hutchinson with their 1st rounder (#17).

If that means drafting a RT with a mid 1st rounder, so be it. Maybe we should just draft a LT and move Staley back to RT???

I work in IT and don't profess to have all the knowledge of a professional NFL GM, but I know enough about football to know that good teams are built from the inside out, starting with the OL, and ours sucks and it's time to fix it by drafting:

Bulaga and Iupati with our #13 and #16/17.
Originally posted by tohara3:
We have to get a starting RT at some point in the draft for sure.

fixed
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

If that means defying conventional wisdom by draft a guard Iupati at #13 or #17 then that is what must be done. It should be noted that Scotty was the Seahawks Director of College Scouting, when they drafted Hutchinson with their 1st rounder (#17).

If that means drafting a RT with a mid 1st rounder, so be it. Maybe we should just draft a LT and move Staley back to RT???

I work in IT and don't profess to have all the knowledge of a professional NFL GM, but I know enough about football to know that good teams are built from the inside out, starting with the OL, and ours sucks and it's time to fix it by drafting:

I agree with you.
Anyone have Mayock big board? Sounded interesting with Berry at like 12 and kindle at 7

1A - Spiller
1B - Brandon Graham

I give that a big fat BOOOYAAAH!

I would be stoked with that draft. Throw a safety and a guard in there and I'm sold.
Originally posted by irishluder:

1A - Spiller
1B - Brandon Graham

CHAMPIONSHIP!

how could we be a championship team if we have a bottom 5 OL in the nfl and we dont address OL in first round?
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by tohara3:
We have to get a starting RT at some point in the draft for sure.

fixed

Thanks
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

Dave, you know how much I share that same feeling about two OLs in the first, but I am more inclined to share the wealth. Beside an OL in the first, I want a play-making all-around talent like Spiller, a pass-rushing beast like Graham, a true NT in D. Williams and/or a ball-hawking safety like Thomas who is becoming more what we need at FS, while moving Goldson to SS where his killer instinct sets the tone of that D as he can play both positions.

In this wonderful cookie jar of NFL hopefuls, I want two different flavors worthy of being the top. After the list of OGs and OTs for the combine, there will be enough options through out each round to land two OLs. It would be a serious and daunting task for Solari and Brown to christen two rook OLs to become starters.

To be honest, any two of these players would make me soooooo happy:
Haden
McClain
Spiller
Bulaga
Graham
Iupati
Thomas
D. Williams
T. Williams

Nine guys!

Frick yea!!!!