LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 320 users in the forums

We should draft an Rush OLB!

I think we should spend one of our high picks on an OLB either JPP, Brandon Graham, or Jerry Hughes. I think JPP may still be there at 13 (if Jacksonville takes Morgan, Cleveland takes Haden, and Oakland takes Campbell), but if not I doubt Graham or Hughes last till our second round pick. I think we should trade next years 1st and this years 4th for San Deigo's 1st. We can then take Graham or Hughes (whomever NE doesn't take, hughes more 3-4 OLB but non factor in run, Graham better all around player, but not as good scheme wise). Plus we then still have our second rounder and third rounder.

PS this trade is almost identical to the one we did with NE in 2007, same pick (28) and our fourth rounder is also #110 (however, we do not know the # of round 3 compensatory picks). SD does this because, without Dan Williams (they need a Nose tackle BAD) and rather than trading up, they gain valuable assets for the future, seeing as they do not need the picks now. Then they pick Ryan Mathews in round 2 and find a suitor for cromartie as they gain more future picks.

With this plan we fill all needs; improve our last ranked O-line, give a boost to our special teams, get another weapon on the offensive side, find a replacment for the constantly injured SS micheal lewis, and improve our pass rush and pass D in total.
So our draft looks something like this:

1A CJ Spiller
1B T Willams
1C B Graham
2 Chad Jones
3 V Ducasse
5-7 BPA

This fills all needs while still getting great value and improving for the future.
How is Graham not a fit scheme wise?
I see your point but I hate the idea of trading away a future first round pick. So I will pass.

You could fill the kr/pr need with a later pick and rejiggle that way, though!
Originally posted by drake49er:
How is Graham not a fit scheme wise?

Graham is a 4-3 DE and has not yet played standing up as he is mainly a 3 point blitzer, and is not good in coverage. Meanwhile Hughes is much better in coverage and can blitz from the 2 point stance. Although Hughes can easily switch to the 3-4 OLB although he is not very good against the run (little bulk and strength, tends to get washed by bigger lineman). I think Graham can still play in the 3 point stance, yet will always be weak in coverage. He is still the most versitile OLB in the draft and probably the safest bet (JPP will either be BEASTLY or Bust!).
Originally posted by English:
I see your point but I hate the idea of trading away a future first round pick. So I will pass.

Its not my favorite option either, but with all the juniors declaring due to the inevitable rookie salary scale, next years draft class will be much weaker. As well, with Warner retiered, 49ers are almost (don't wanna jinx it) gauranteed a playoff spot, where as in 2008 we gave NE a top 10 pick after a terrible season. But I see your point.
Originally posted by GoldenGateFan:

Its not my favorite option either, but with all the juniors declaring due to the inevitable rookie salary scale, next years draft class will be much weaker. As well, with Warner retiered, 49ers are almost (don't wanna jinx it) gauranteed a playoff spot, where as in 2008 we gave NE a top 10 pick after a terrible season. But I see your point.

My personal opinion - for what it is worth - is that the middle of next yeat's draft will indeed be worse. I suspect that the top round or so will not be too much affected. Could be wrong though!

I just hate losing the first pick! Don't care if it is a weak draft, illogically I still want it.

Personally I think (hope!) that Brooks solves our historic pass rush problems, although we were pretty good last year, and becomes a complete beast. Although first we have to re-sign him.
Originally posted by GoldenGateFan:

My personal opinion - for what it is worth - is that the middle of next yeat's draft will indeed be worse. I suspect that the top round or so will not be too much affected. Could be wrong though!

I just hate losing the first pick! Don't care if it is a weak draft, illogically I still want it.

Personally I think (hope!) that Brooks solves our historic pass rush problems, although we were pretty good last year, and becomes a complete beast. Although first we have to re-sign him.

IMO, Brooks is NOT the answer to or problems. Although he did a real good job of getting 5 sacks in such limited playing time, he is purely a 3rd down player and has not showed consistency or proven himself. Graham has! Guy is just all around solid, uses his hands well, uses counter moves and really can wrap up a QB. just watch any michigan games or the senior bowl. the guy was everywhere! Anyway, if no to the 1st round pick trade (which isn't really realistic anyway, just think it would be wicked), I'd rather have JPP at 13 and T Williams at 17. I just think we really need an elite pass rusher. Although we got did a real good job in the sack (te he) depatmant, most of the sacks came form our DEs or blitzes. Our Pass D was awful, and without an elite CB, the only other way to improve out pass D is by improving our pass rush. Just see what the bengals did this year with their unique blitzes, and dominace in the trenches. Also, Chad Jones in the back will help to lay the wood on recievers going deep and help pick off errant throws due to the pressure. All in all, I think we need more playmakers on the defensive end than we do on the offensive end, though we do still need a slot reviever. BAAAAAAAD. There will always be special teamers later in the draft
I'm adamantly opposed to anything involving trading next year's first.
Will people stop trading away our 1st rounder next year. Newsflash we might need a QB in the next draft, and next year's class has 3 great candidates (Locker, Mallett, Pryor).

Don't like that look at the big tall beastly receivers next year has to offer (Floyd, Jones, Green).

If you can't hit up our needs with 8 picks and 2 1st rounders stop thinking about the draft.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Will people stop trading away our 1st rounder next year. Newsflash we might need a QB in the next draft, and next year's class has 3 great candidates (Locker, Mallett, Pryor).

Don't like that look at the big tall beastly receivers next year has to offer (Floyd, Jones, Green).

If you can't hit up our needs with 8 picks and 2 1st rounders stop thinking about the draft.

Nice one, tjd. This obsession with filling all the needs now is ridiculous. Next year the Niners will have different needs and will need draft picks to address them, too. I would rather see the Niners make moves like the Patriots always do to net additional future picks while moving back in the current draft.

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Nice one, tjd. This obsession with filling all the needs now is ridiculous. Next year the Niners will have different needs and will need draft picks to address them, too. I would rather see the Niners make moves like the Patriots always do to net additional future picks while moving back in the current draft.

Agree nice post!
I hate trading away future first round picks as well. When we traded with NE yea we got Joe, but look at who we missed next year's draft. Clady and Otha were there and look like better OTs than Joe or of we wanted another dominate ILB we could of gotten Mayo. We're not a bradon graham away from the superbowl.

SD probably needs to keep their first round pick to replay LT if they don't trade for one.
Share 49ersWebzone