There are 138 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Way Overrated OT Class

If the talent is overrated in round 1, I am all for waiting for 2nd or 3rd round for a OT. That will still be an upgrade over our current players. Let's go for impact players with our 1st round picks!

I am all for Hayden or Spiller and then Iupati or Graham!
Originally posted by amigoj49:
If the talent is overrated in round 1, I am all for waiting for 2nd or 3rd round for a OT. That will still be an upgrade over our current players. Let's go for impact players with our 1st round picks!

I am all for Hayden or Spiller and then Iupati or Graham!

If first round OTs are overrated, surely we can expect 2nd and 3rdcrounders to be overrated as well? Hence probably not starting material.

We need a starting RT
We need a RT badly. I can live with reaching a little bit if it means that we solve our biggest problem.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by pwilly52:
Originally posted by GoldenGateFan:
Originally posted by stever:
Originally posted by GoldenGateFan:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by noobie:
You call ALL the OT overrated yet you want a 370 pound tub of lard that's only going to play 50% of the snaps. A guy that doesn't get sacks, pressures, or even tackles in the 2nd?

Oh......SNAP! Slapped in the face by a noob.

You said exactley what i was thinking! First of all, i do believe that some of the OTs are overated, however Okung and Williams (watch game tape from last year, DOMINANT on the right side) are both extremly legit. As well, even if people are rushing to pick OTs and reaching, that doesn't mean we should just not pick an OT. I mean if the top 5 OTs are gone by our pick (doubt) we can always pick ducasse in round 2 and ciron black or jason fox in round 3/4.

My first choice would still be Williams at 13 and ducasse in round 2, and devote the other picks to DBs (donnovan Warren at 17, Reshad Jones in round 3) and then back to OT with Fox in round 4!

Sorry, but Williams at #13 looks a little bit high, Warren at #17 is a reach, Ducasse is really raw and needs some time to develop and nobody of those guys helps our return game.

Did you watch Williams on the Right Side??? Dominant!! This year he moved to left and proved that it is not like someone can just switch sides and keep up the same production. Although he is a reach (agreed) we NEED to solidify our O-line as well as improve our pass defense. Crabs and morgan will only get better, and with an improved O-line, Alex will have more time and improve even more. It will also help our already good run game.

On the other end, we had one of the best rush defenses, yet one of the worst pass defeses. As the league as a whole moves towards a more pass oriented game (just look at the SB), we need to improve our DBs as we have glaring holes at SS with lewis's concussions.

We can always find some one to impove our retunr game in later rounds such as LeRoy Vann, who has returned 11 punts/kicks for touchdowns!

I also like Brandon Graham to improve our mediocre pass rush.

Did you seriously just say that ...3rd in the league in sacks dumbass.

Yes, but there is nicer ways of saying it

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to say things nice-ly (is that a real word?) to some one who is too stubborn/ignorant/whatever to accept the fact that we have a good pass rush. Inconsistent, but good. But I do agree with him, Graham would be a great addition

[ Edited by pwilly52 on Feb 21, 2010 at 10:29:06 ]
Here is the bottom line: Scotty McC will follow his draft board and draft the best player on it. Some good results ex. Trading for 1st rounder in 2010 instead of drafting E Brown in the 2nd and some bad ex drafting Balmer and Chilo over DeSean Jackson... He drafted for need a few times (ex Brandon Williams) but generally sticks to his board...
Originally posted by bigwads:
Glad to see the Zone is as juvenile as ever.

Accusations with no facts. I am accused of wanting a blob that only plays 50% of the snap-but no mention that I would take him in the freaking second or third round. he needs to lose weight, but if he does he will be the next premier NG in the league.

And, now I only watch senior tape...too bad the Zone is full of noobies....Rule #1 of the draft, you only look at the most recent year's tape...duh...and I am being criticized for actually watching game film...wtf.

Does someone want to start bringing some facts into play or am I surrounded my mongrels?

That is a hilarious statement. Do you honestly feel that teams do not go back to a players previous year to look at their play? Do you really think that teams would not look at Trent Williams in his junior year playing RT when that is the position he will play in the NFL? Incredible. At least the "noobies" as you like to call them are smarter than that.

As for Cody, he is a HUGE risk with his weight concerns. You may not think taking him in rd 2 is a concern but I do. The Niners need to hit on their first 3 rounds in my opinion. All you have to do is look at Bass and Rachel and see how much it hurts when 2nd rd picks dont live up to expectations.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Accusations with no facts. I am accused of wanting a blob that only plays 50% of the snap-but no mention that I would take him in the freaking second or third round. he needs to lose weight, but if he does he will be the next premier NG in the league.

And, now I only watch senior tape...too bad the Zone is full of noobies....Rule #1 of the draft, you only look at the most recent year's tape...duh...and I am being criticized for actually watching game film...wtf.

Does someone want to start bringing some facts into play or am I surrounded my mongrels?

That is a hilarious statement. Do you honestly feel that teams do not go back to a players previous year to look at their play? Do you really think that teams would not look at Trent Williams in his junior year playing RT when that is the position he will play in the NFL? Incredible. At least the "noobies" as you like to call them are smarter than that.

As for Cody, he is a HUGE risk with his weight concerns. You may not think taking him in rd 2 is a concern but I do. The Niners need to hit on their first 3 rounds in my opinion. All you have to do is look at Bass and Rachel and see how much it hurts when 2nd rd picks dont live up to expectations.
Originally posted by foreign49er:

Watch the combine junior, you will hear that rule about a hundred times.

the combine=underwear olympics

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-02-17/let-games-begin-underwear-olympics

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/22/king-throws-water-on-the-scouting-combine/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/02/21/observations/index.html

and I believe he just called you junior...

If that rule had been applied to Patrick Willis he wouldn't be on our team. He had a mediocre senior year but based on his exceptional play in his junior year they knew that his drop in play was due to his broken arm.

Trent Williams was mediocre last year but due to his stellar play in his Junior year they know that his drop in play was due to him switching positions.

Watch the draft senior, you'll hear scouts talk about him as a RT when the 49ers draft him at #17.