There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Way Overrated OT Class

Guys, the more I watch film of the OT's in this class the more I despise them. This class simply is not very good. Okung is the most athletic, so he will probably be ok, but he isn't the greatest run blocker of all time.

Williams, Davis, Campbell and Bulaga are all overrated by at least one round. IMHO these players would be in my second and third round slots. These guys are not first round picks. They just aren't.

I can't help but look back to last year when Oher fell to 22. Oher was a much much much better player than EVERY OT this year, including Okung!!!

People are inflating the value of these OT because of the needs at OT across the league. I employ the Zone to no longer get caught up in this hysteria. I was caught up in too about a month ago when I finally started looking into the draft, in fact, I wanted to take two OL's in the first round.

The problem is I think we are going to be super pissed off at who we take in the first round if we reach for a very average OT. The problem here is the OT's in the draft are not even first round talents in my opinion. For that matter, Joe Staley was better than all the OT's in this draft except for Okung., and Staley wasn't taken until 28.

At this point I am going with BPA, and I think that is going to be something more like Spiller, Hayden at 13 and Iupati, Graham, Hughes at 17/18.

Sorry guys, I know we need a RT really bad, but this may not be the year to get that guy. Maybe we trade our 2nd again for another first next year and then we can make a move for a blue chip OT next year or something.

We could land Cody in the second round and give a few years to work behind Franklin and to lose weight. Or, we could trade up into the 20's and get Williams or Davis. I really don't want anything to do with Campbell or Bulaga unless it is the third round.

[ Edited by bigwads on Feb 20, 2010 at 06:43:07 ]
spiller is more overrated tho
The question becomes how do you address the RT situation then? If you're not drafting one in the 1st who do you got that come in and start right away?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We don't need dominate LT types, just someone who can man our RT spot. They're all capable and except for one is better than our best OT, Staley.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Feb 20, 2010 at 07:14:15 ]
Originally posted by bigwads:
Guys, the more I watch film of the OT's in this class the more I despise them. This class simply is not very good. Okung is the most athletic, so he will probably be ok, but he isn't the greatest run blocker of all time.

Williams, Davis, Campbell and Bulaga are all overrated by at least one round. IMHO these players would be in my second and third round slots. These guys are not first round picks. They just aren't.

I can't help but look back to last year when Oher fell to 22. Oher was a much much much better player than EVERY OT this year, including Okung!!!

People are inflating the value of these OT because of the needs at OT across the league. I employ the Zone to no longer get caught up in this hysteria. I was caught up in too about a month ago when I finally started looking into the draft, in fact, I wanted to take two OL's in the first round.

The problem is I think we are going to be super pissed off at who we take in the first round if we reach for a very average OT. The problem here is the OT's in the draft are not even first round talents in my opinion. For that matter, Joe Staley was better than all the OT's in this draft except for Okung., and Staley wasn't taken until 28.

At this point I am going with BPA, and I think that is going to be something more like Spiller, Hayden at 13 and Iupati, Graham, Hughes at 17/18.

Sorry guys, I know we need a RT really bad, but this may not be the year to get that guy. Maybe we trade our 2nd again for another first next year and then we can make a move for a blue chip OT next year or something.

We could land Cody in the second round and give a few years to work behind Franklin and to lose weight. Or, we could trade up into the 20's and get Williams or Davis. I really don't want anything to do with Campbell or Bulaga unless it is the third round.

So, did you actually watch game tape, or did you just youtube people?
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by bigwads:

So, did you actually watch game tape, or did you just youtube people?

I was about to ask the same thing. How are you getting the game tape?

I whole-heartedly agree that we shouldn't take two OL, but if we don't get one then we're failing to address our biggest need. I've heard that Williams played his senior year on the left but he's a true RT. I also hear that he was much more consistent on the right side during his junior year. Were you able to see any film from his junior year? I also don't see us passing on a Tackle and getting a Guard, just not Scotty's style.

[ Edited by foreign49er on Feb 20, 2010 at 08:29:21 ]
You call ALL the OT overrated yet you want a 370 pound tub of lard that's only going to play 50% of the snaps. A guy that doesn't get sacks, pressures, or even tackles in the 2nd?
Originally posted by noobie:
You call ALL the OT overrated yet you want a 370 pound tub of lard that's only going to play 50% of the snaps. A guy that doesn't get sacks, pressures, or even tackles in the 2nd?

Oh......SNAP! Slapped in the face by a noob.

Funny. I was going to say the exact same thing. I think Okung, Davis, and Bulaga would be first rd picks in almost any year. Willams would be at worst an early 2nd.
I would simply not touch Cody at all.

I have never been an advocate of 2 OL in rd 1. WIth #13 I want Haden if he somehow should fall and then Spiller. However, we better take an OT with our 2nd first rounder.
Tony Pashos will probaly be your starting right tackle, he is better than any of the rookies that every one is gushing over. If they dont sign him they may reach but I think there will be to much best player avalible talent to pass on when they select. I think there may be a trade back on draft day then select a tackle. It is also amusing how everyone thinks taking a left tackle and moving him to the right will work. Players that dominate on one side dont nesicerily dominate on the oppisite. Barry Sims as an example.
In the last several years OT's have become the hottest trend to take in the top 20. OT's tend to be a safer pick than skill positions, because in many cases if they do not pan out as OT's they can be converted to guards.

This being said, while part of me would love to see Spiller in a 49ers uniform ( or Haden but he wont be there) the best thing for this team would be to take our top rated OT at 13 and then Iupati at 17.

It all starts in the trenches, and this would be a draft that we would look back on in 3 years as the draft that changed our teams future...

[ Edited by 49er4life on Feb 20, 2010 at 10:42:26 ]
Hopefully it wont be a draft reach BUST future which sets them back another six years. Dont get me wrong they must address the line but I dont whant them to pass on a possible superstar just to have an adiquit rt or guard. If rolando Mclain is there and he is rated higher or another player they better be wearing the red and gold or it will set this team back.
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Hopefully it wont be a draft reach BUST future which sets them back another six years. Dont get me wrong they must address the line but I dont whant them to pass on a possible superstar just to have an adiquit rt or guard. If rolando Mclain is there and he is rated higher or another player they better be wearing the red and gold or it will set this team back.

Just thought I'd help you out with some spelling.

It's spelled necessarily and not nesicerily.
It's spelled opposite and not oppisite
It's spelled adequate and not adiquit

No need to thank me.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Funny. I was going to say the exact same thing. I think Okung, Davis, and Bulaga would be first rd picks in almost any year. Willams would be at worst an early 2nd.
I would simply not touch Cody at all.

I have never been an advocate of 2 OL in rd 1. WIth #13 I want Haden if he somehow should fall and then Spiller. However, we better take an OT with our 2nd first rounder.

Bingo. This draft class for offensive linemen is one of the deepest in a long time.