There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

All Defense in 1st Round?

• LilAzn9er
  • Info N/A
What do you guys think if we took Joe Haden (#13) and Brandon Graham (#16 or 17) in the 1st round? I understand we are weak on the O-Line, but I think it's a good opportunity to strengthen our already stout defense. The defense should lead the team, not the offense.
I would hate to ignore OL or playmaker in the first. But if we have to only pick defensive players, Haden and Graham are the ones I'd be happy with.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
That would be freaken awesome...as long as we address the OLine and return game with the next picks or in free agency...

And you never know...Mcloughan always goes with and did say were going with the BPA

[ Edited by ImaMod on Feb 16, 2010 at 21:51:40 ]
Originally posted by LilAzn9er:
What do you guys think if we took Joe Haden (#13) and Brandon Graham (#16 or 17) in the 1st round? I understand we are weak on the O-Line, but I think it's a good opportunity to strengthen our already stout defense. The defense should lead the team, not the offense.

You just defined the problem but didn't bring a solution.

The defense led the team last year, and all it did was lead the team to an 8-8 record.

Address both 1st rounders on defense and not addressing the oline is 2009 all over again for 2010.
One thing is for sure: we better not miss on first rounders. When I say miss, I mean picking a guy, paying him first round money and getting third round production.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

The defense led the team last year, and all it did was lead the team to an 8-8 record.

Address both 1st rounders on defense and not addressing the oline is 2009 all over again for 2010.

This. I like a strong D but our need on O is for either on or two players (depending on Baas) who can start from day one.

We could I suppose end up with an all-D first round if players fell to us who we simply could not ignore, but all other things being equal, we are unlikely to find a starting RT outside of the first two rounds.

As with all of these threads, of course, the answer is: it depends on who has gone and who is left.
Originally posted by English:

This. I like a strong D but our need on O is for either on or two players (depending on Baas) who can start from day one.

We could I suppose end up with an all-D first round if players fell to us who we simply could not ignore, but all other things being equal, we are unlikely to find a starting RT outside of the first two rounds.

As with all of these threads, of course, the answer is: it depends on who has gone and who is left.

I like Haden, couldn't we get a T/OG at 17? addresses both....
No, offense is this teams problem. Fix the problem.

Haden/Graham would be great if McSing makes a concerted effort to address return and oline through the rest of the draft/off season.
Haden
Graham
McClusky
Jerry
Saffold
Would work for me.
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Originally posted by English:

I like Haden, couldn't we get a T/OG at 17? addresses both....

I like him too and we need him. But it depends. If there has been a run on tackles then, hmm. Like I say, depends.
Our defense was decent, if not dominant at times. Our offense was really bad for long stretches.

Going defense for the 1st two picks, and not coming away with a tackle would be a huge setback, even if things fall our way and Berry or Haden were available at 13 (unlikley, but anything could happen).

We have to help the offense with this draft. Our defense would be "better" if we could help them out by scoring more points.
Originally posted by olapac:
Our defense was decent, if not dominant at times. Our offense was really bad for long stretches.

Going defense for the 1st two picks, and not coming away with a tackle would be a huge setback, even if things fall our way and Berry or Haden were available at 13 (unlikley, but anything could happen).

We have to help the offense with this draft. Our defense would be "better" if we could help them out by scoring more points.

And actually being able to convert a god damn 3rd down.
I'd love it. I have concerns with Haden, but if they see him as the guy then I'm down. Graham is beast and we'll be lucky if he's still on the board then. Personally, I think he could slide into the top 10.

As for RT, sure it's a pressing need, but we could still draft a guy in the 2nd or even 3rd round. Pashos will most likely be back and he has some talent. He's good enough to hold the spot down while a rookie is brought along. If Pashos hadn't gotten injured last season, we might not be having this conversation. He struggled initially, but was quickly getting back in the groove before he went down. After seeing Scott nail the Staley pick, I trust that he can also find a quality RT. There is always talent flying under the radar and pure RTs don't get the nat'l recognition as do LTs (or guys that are considered possible LTs).

Everyone is also screaming for an OG early, but I have my doubts. Rachal isn't going anywhere and Baas played his beat football down the stretch. He'll probably be tendered and if he continues to play well, then the team will probably extend him. A rookie isn't likely to step in and unseat one of those guys. If we do select a rookie OG early, to me, that would signal that the team is planning to move forward without Baas. I just don't think they're ready to give up on him just yet.
Originally posted by strickac:
I'd love it. I have concerns with Haden, but if they see him as the guy then I'm down. Graham is beast and we'll be lucky if he's still on the board then. Personally, I think he could slide into the top 10.

As for RT, sure it's a pressing need, but we could still draft a guy in the 2nd or even 3rd round. Pashos will most likely be back and he has some talent. He's good enough to hold the spot down while a rookie is brought along. If Pashos hadn't gotten injured last season, we might not be having this conversation. He struggled initially, but was quickly getting back in the groove before he went down. After seeing Scott nail the Staley pick, I trust that he can also find a quality RT. There is always talent flying under the radar and pure RTs don't get the nat'l recognition as do LTs (or guys that are considered possible LTs).

Everyone is also screaming for an OG early, but I have my doubts. Rachal isn't going anywhere and Baas played his beat football down the stretch. He'll probably be tendered and if he continues to play well, then the team will probably extend him. A rookie isn't likely to step in and unseat one of those guys. If we do select a rookie OG early, to me, that would signal that the team is planning to move forward without Baas. I just don't think they're ready to give up on him just yet.

The Matts seem convinced Pashos will follow Foerster to the Skins.
Originally posted by Joecool:
One thing is for sure: we better not miss on first rounders. When I say miss, I mean picking a guy, paying him first round money and getting third round production.

Agree, we cannot miss on either of the 1st rounders this season.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home