There are 51 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Strick's Pre-Combine Mock

Sorry, folks, there's no Spiller in this mock. I'm big Spiller fan, but I think there's better value later. (I think Ryan Mathews might turn out to be the best RB of this class.)

Since it looks like most of our free agents will be returning, I won't speculate with free agency....

1a. Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa (6-6 312lbs): Had a solid season (except against Graham and Michigan) and should come off the board earlier than expected in the 1st. RT has become the biggest issue for our team and with a renewed devotion to being physical and having strong Oline play, this pick makes a lot of sense.

1b. Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, Michigan (6-1 263lbs): He's projected all over draft boards, but no one will argue about his talent. He's shorter than scouts like for a 4-3 DE, but that shouldn't stop us from pulling the trigger on the best pass rusher in this class. Measureables may lend other DEs to being selected higher, but that's a common mistake made annually.

2. Jahvid Best, RB/Ret, Cal (5-10 195lbs): Size and durability concerns will force Best to slip a bit and he very likely may still be on the board when we select in the 2nd. He's a very capable returner as well and just as explosive as Spiller. Best is a better prospect than Leon Washington coming out, who fit beautifully into Raye's offense in NY.

3. John Jerry, OG/OT, Ole Miss (6-5 332lbs): Jerry surprised scouts in Mobile by shedding nearly 20lbs and showing off some extra mobility. At season's end, he was looking like a potential mid-round pick, but after leaving some teams with thoughts that he could play some OT, he's moving up the draft boards. Scott loves players with versatility and Jerry could provide some much-needed depth and competition on the Oline.

4. T.J. Ward, SS, Oregon (5-10 200lbs): Ward seems a little undersized to play SS in the NFL, but he's a hard-hitter and his speed will probably limit his looks at FS. He has good ball-skills and is one of the more well-rounded safeties in this class. With Michael Lewis' longevity up in the air, Ward would be a perfect compliment to groom along side of Goldson.

5. Akwasi Owusu-Ansuh, CB/Ret, Indiana (PA) (6-1 205lbs): He has great size and speed for a CB. He's coming off a shoulder injury that's kept him out of the offseason festivities; however, he is expected to attend the Combine later this month; although, he'll still likely be limited by his shoulder. He's a small-school All-American, with a large upside. In addition to his CB skills, Akwasi is a dominant returner. He has 9 career TDs as a returner. Akwasi could be a tremendous value pick for us.

6. David Gettis, WR, Baylor: At 6-3 217lbs, he has the frame teams cherish. He has large, strong hands and good speed (4.4) to go along with his size. With Battle likely parting ways, Gettis is a nice project for the team.

7a. Travis Ivey, NT, Maryland (6-4 341lbs): Ivey played very well and gained some attention as a stout defender in the Texas vs. the Nation game. With Franklin's uncertainty and our lack of depth at NT, Ivey is a smart choice. He'll get a chance to impress scouts at the Combine.

7b. (Comp) Sam Shields, CB/Ret, Miami (6-0 186lbs): Shields is very raw, but he's also very intriguing. He played WR his first 3 seasons, before moving to CB as a senior. He'll likely land with a team as a special teams player, while he's coached up as a CB. He has sub-4.4 speed and he's a great athlete. In fact, he was clocked at 4.2 last summer.

[ Edited by strickac on Feb 16, 2010 at 11:02:45 ]
I like the draft and it covers the basic issues for our team - Oline, Pass Rush, Return, and Backfield.
I like it, Best i think is just too good to make it to 49, otherwise you can put McCluster in there instead. Overall very good
Great job Stric!
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I like it, Best i think is just too good to make it to 49, otherwise you can put McCluster in there instead. Overall very good

Would take either of those 2 in a heartbeat for the 2nd.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Strick, I think Graham is actually 6'2". We'll find out for sure at the combine.
just an FYI Bulaga had a bad first 2 weeks because of his throid condition and graham was playing him when he was recovering and Bulaga stopped morgan who is much better than graham so im pretty sure he can stop graham also i doubt best would fall to the second although i hope he does

nice draft tho
Originally posted by mayo63:
Strick, I think Graham is actually 6'2". We'll find out for sure at the combine.

I've seen him listed at 6'3" even, but he measured 6'1" 1/8 at the Senior Bowl. That's pretty short for a 4-3 DE. Every year we see talented players fall because scouts/teams over-value measurables.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
just an FYI Bulaga had a bad first 2 weeks because of his throid condition and graham was playing him when he was recovering and Bulaga stopped morgan who is much better than graham so im pretty sure he can stop graham also i doubt best would fall to the second although i hope he does

nice draft tho

Morgan is overrated, IMO. He looks amazing on paper and shows flashes of dominance, but I'd take Graham over him. Graham is the more-consistant pass rusher. I'm not going to hold Bulaga's thyroid bout against him, but he had nothing for Graham.

Best should be gone based on talent alone, but he's battled injuries throughout his college career and he's smaller than ideal. There are going to be questions surrounding his ability to an everydown player.
Originally posted by kronik:
Great job Stric!

I really like the draft & like all of the guys with the experience & chances of fillings the KR/PR spots
I dig this draft. I'm sketchy on Shields...he lacks the toughness to play his position. Throw in my draft favorite Armanti Edwards and we got a deal! lol.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

nice draft tho

The more I see Bulaga play the more he just does not look like he has much upside! Graham showed the world that he is not ready!
- Either Bulaga or Trent Williams will most likely be the pick. New OL Coach Solari likes OL who're light on their feet and highly mobile. Either of these guys would fill that bill.

- Graham's a stud, no doubt. But, given there are so many directions Singletary/Mac can go here, it's hard to say who they'll consider BPA. I know they're both leary of taking a pass rusher early on...so many have been NFL busts recently. Other options would include RB (Spiller) for the speed and KR abilities he'd bring; another would be best CB on the board (likely Donovan Warren); another would be true DL...like Jared Odrick, who could be a monster DE opposite Justin Smith. I guess McClain's also a possibility, although I think he's too much like Willis...you really need someone who can take the hits to free Willis to make plays.

- Not that high on Best...speed, yes, but durability's a definite concern. If Spiller's the pick in 1st, then that's that. If not, and Singletary doesn't get his CB in the 1st, Perrish Cox would be an excellent pick in the 2nd.

- OG's the right position in 3rd, but not Jerry. Same rationale applies at this position as OT...Solari will be looking for a highly mobile OG, and that's not Jerry. The guy who meets the criteria better would be Alabama's Mike Johnson. He played both OG and OT for Nick Saban, so is also very versatile.

- 4th rd, I'm thinking WR...someone like Blair White from Mich St. I'm not convinced they'll draft a S at all as so many seem to think. Coach already has Reggie Smith & Curtis Taylor, so I really don't see a big need, even if Michael Lewis shows signs of concussion stress.

The rest are fine...
I love this draft. I think I might do carwheels down my road naked if we got Best in R2. It's about time we tapped into the local talent on draft day.
Good mock. I'd be happy with it.