LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

Bleacher report: CJ Spiller and Niners...

Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by PlayAction:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/345615-why-cj-spiller-is-a-cant-miss-pick-for-the-san-francisco-49ers

A lot of how what I think Spiller can do for Niners is debated in this article. But simply put is this:

Could the Niners use a "homerun" threat on Special Teams?
Could Niners use another "homerun" threat on offense?
Could Niners use a "homerun" threat to sub 7 to 10 times a game for Gore?
The fact that Gore has only played one full healthy season out of five (and missed several games the last two) with Niners speaks loudly.

Depending how draft shakes out (remember last years BIG surprise?) and Free Agency, I would like Niners to take Spiller at #13 and then draft best available OT at #16/17.

For those (like me) who don't get to watch alot of college ball there are several Spiller clips on youtube that will have you going gaga, and i dont mean lady gaga lol

IMO Niners should try to get a solid veteran guard or tackle in FA and still draft a future stud ready to go full time in a year or two.....

Niner fans go to heaven
as Niners reach Super Bowl 2011!!

he missed 1 game in 07, 2 games in 08 and 2 games this year.

I dont want us to draft CJ Spiller, Frank Gore is our man.

A lot of (succesful) teams have a 1-2 punch at RB and Spiller would be a huge boost on special teams and also help out as a receiver in addition to playing RB.
for the record... GORE MISSED 3 GAMES THIS YEAR!!!
stats say he only missed 2 because he had 1 carry vs minnesota.
  • PlayAction
  • Info N/A
"until he breaks a leg or decides to retire early Gore is definitely our guy!"

obviously drafting Spiller won't automatically put Gore out to pasture or relegate him to 2nd or 3rd string!

And If by some sad trick of fate Gore were to miss a game or two this year?
Maybe Glen Coffee is the eventual heir to the rb position;
BUT where was Coffee ranked in last year's draft as compared to Spiller this year?

maybe this talk of drafting Spiller is moot because Al Davis drafts Spiller at #8
for we all know how Al loves speed!

maybe even IF Spiller was there at #13 or #16 the Niners wouldn't draft him, because our GM and HC think we're A-OK with BJones and Battle returning kicks?

Don't know what Scott and coach sing have in mind to do this draft, but
maybe they shouldn't draft a RT because Tony Pashos is the man?
maybe they shouldn't draft a cb because Nate Clements(or Walt Harris) is the man?
maybe they shouldn't draft a qb because Alex Smith is the man?
maybe they shouldn't draft an olb because Lawson is the man?
maybe they shouldn't draft a safety because MLewis is the man?
maybe they shouldn't draft a special teams guy because Battle or Jones is the man?

Niner heaven is a Niner win
in Super Bowl 2011!
I think he'd be a good pick...for these reasons:

- He'd immediately elevate our crap KR game. He's got the ability to take it to the house!

- He'd add much-needed speed to the backfield. I'd envision Raye using him in much the same way as the Vikes use Harvin, Chargers use Sproles, etc.

- He'd be a player other teams would have to account for...a real threat to take it to the house on any given play...how long's it been since we had that???

- Good as Gore still is, how many more years does he have performing at that level...Spiller's a great insurance pick from that standpoint.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
KR?
Absolutely, KR...he did it at Clemson and he'd do it as a Niner.
  • PlayAction
  • Info N/A
2006 - Played in all 16 games during All-Pro and Pro Bowl rookie season, leading the NFL in punt returns (47) and punt return yards (600) and was tied for the lead in punt return TDs (3) and second (first in NFC) in punt return average (12.8)... Also led NFC in kick return average (fifth in the NFL) at 26.4 on 20 returns for 528 yards while tying for league lead with 2 kickoff return TDs... Saw time on defense as a reserve cornerback recording 11 tackles and 1 PBU... Posted a NFL-high 11 punt returns of 20 or more yards, the most in the league since 1997 (Karl Williams, TB, 12)... During Super Bowl XLI (2/4/07) became 8th player in NFL history to return a kickoff for a touchdown in a Super Bowl and first to do so on the game’s opening kick.

These were Devin Hester's rookie year stats 2006;
this guy carried Bears to SBowl almost single handedly with his special teams stats.

I don't care if its Spiller or if Niners can pry JCribbs from Browns, it's this kind of player Niners desperately need on special teams to give them that boost, that one-play game changer!
We lost EVERY GAME BY 7 POINTS OR LESS (except 1). With our current team, I think Spiller could give us the extra nudge that puts all these games in the WIN column, and get us into the playoffs.

We're not that far off, our biggest weakness has been the offense. Sure an O-lineman helps too, but I think Spiller can come in from day 1 and make a difference, and facilitate things for Alex.
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
We lost EVERY GAME BY 7 POINTS OR LESS (except 1). With our current team, I think Spiller could give us the extra nudge that puts all these games in the WIN column, and get us into the playoffs...

nice insight
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
We lost EVERY GAME BY 7 POINTS OR LESS (except 1). With our current team, I think Spiller could give us the extra nudge that puts all these games in the WIN column, and get us into the playoffs.

We're not that far off, our biggest weakness has been the offense. Sure an O-lineman helps too, but I think Spiller can come in from day 1 and make a difference, and facilitate things for Alex.

i wouldnt mind getting spiller but the offense wasnt the reason why we lost most of the games was lost because of special teams ( fumbles and poor field position) which would be fixed by spiller and also a couple was the defenses fault as well (don't get me wrong they are a solid unit) and also i think a solid o line will help more

if i had a choice between OT and spiller it would be OT our guy didn't even play every game and he still led the league in sacks allowed in the NFL

Spiller's the HR threat we just don't have now...love Gore, I think just about everyone in this forum does, but as the featured RB, he's been absorbing a good deal of punishment. Spiller can augment Frank...and present defenses with a real threat...as a runner or receiver. Plus, on ST's, he's a guy who can change games...so, yeah, he'd be a great pick and I hope the draft falls that way. If we come out of the 1st rd with Spiller and either Bulaga or T. Williams, Singletary would have to be one very happy camper.
Share 49ersWebzone