LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Bleacher report: CJ Spiller and Niners...

Originally posted by wailers15:
If we land a solid FA OT then it would make sense to go for Spiller. Cause if we have no O lineman then sorry guys spiller aint doing s**t.
And to all those out there thinking we are going to draft our starting OT in the 2-3 rounds go acroos the bay cause it ain't happening. Those cats take time to develop. TIME!

If we take Spiller 13 we would take a tackle at 16/17. Unless there's a run on tackles going on I wouldn't panic.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 16, 2010 at 08:53:21 ]
I wouldn't mind taking Spiller at all. We need some speed on offense. I hope Gore doesn't get butt hurt though but if he does, we can't let him hold us back.
Originally posted by Youngone:
I wouldn't mind taking Spiller at all. We need some speed on offense. I hope Gore doesn't get butt hurt though but if he does, we can't let him hold us back.

Are you serious?
Originally posted by valrod33:

Are you serious?

I think he means, Gore doesn't seem like the type of player who would be butt-hurt if we brought in a backup RB. If he does get upset though, we need him to play through it and that shouldn't hold the team (or Gore) back from their performance.

I really think we need CJ Spiller though. Our Punt Return game is f**king AWFUL, and drafting a punt returner in the first round can never hurt when we've been drafting them in the 3rd-7th and they never end up working out.
Spiller would be awesome in our spread offense.
Alex dumping it off to C.J. and bye bye!!!
Spiller will make us so MUCH better in so MANY ways. Our defense is a top 10 right NOW, we can get better there, BUT the offense needs more talent. Spiller brings that, he would give us probably the best duo running attacks in the game ahead of Williams and Stewart, Williams and Brown, Barber and Jones, Wells and Hightower and other teams. He solidifies the return game, and gives Alex another toy to play with! Davis at TE, Gore in the backfield, Crabtree and Morgan out wide and Spiller in the slot!

Are you serious?

What I mean is that Gore is good, don't get me wrong but we can't just do the single back system because Gore thinks he can handle the whole load. We can't let our love for our running-back (lets remember that Running-backs are perishable commodities) get in the way of drafting for the future and being competitive. I'm not saying Gore holds us back, I'm saying we can't just cater to Gore and not draft play-makers because he wants to be the only back carrying the load cause when he sprains his ankle again we got nothing. I'm not knocking on the guy but I'm pretty sure, reading from his remarks after we drafted Coffee, that he wants to be the Man....but then again who doesn't. I'm just saying lets not let our commitment to Gore prevent us from getting offensive weapons.

For the record though, Gore is awesome and I'm glad he's a 9er. I would love for him to finish his career here til he is 34 but we are going to need fresh legs regardless....might as well get a RB who fills two needs.....PR/KR (a huge need) and backup/speedy back.

[ Edited by Youngone on Feb 16, 2010 at 09:55:11 ]
The biggest need for the 9ers offense is Oline, period. The last several years the 9ers have passed on upgrading their RT with the belief that they could get some band-aid fix in FA. Meanwhile, our QB's on his back in the turf and RBs are getting stopped for no gain in the back field.

IF the 9ers can nab a solid RT at #16/17, then Spiller would be great. In fact, I've never been completely happy with using the #13 on a RT because traditionally that's a little bit high for any team. However, there is very little latitude to get this position upgraded at this point.

If they can get Spiller and a solid RT, pull the trigger. If there is a run or RT's, Spiller is a luxury the 9ers can't really afford.
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
CJ Spiller > Harvin > Bush > Sproles !!!

Im all for it !!

Spiller would help our whole O IMHO!
There are no guarentees in life, spiller could be prone to injury even more so than Gore. Though I like his highlights, if the line is bad then he and the QB won't get to make plays when the QB is either hurried or the line blows up in his his route running.

Technically you need talent to run a good defense, and on offense you can get away with less talent by good schemes, example is New Orleans-they have good players but it is ability and balls of Peyton, take him away and other than Brees, the others will not be as good. Unfortunately, we need talent because our OC is bland and predictable, doesn't know how to create mismatches and breakdowns to the defense.

Originally posted by PlayAction:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/345615-why-cj-spiller-is-a-cant-miss-pick-for-the-san-francisco-49ers

A lot of how what I think Spiller can do for Niners is debated in this article. But simply put is this:

Could the Niners use a "homerun" threat on Special Teams?
Could Niners use another "homerun" threat on offense?
Could Niners use a "homerun" threat to sub 7 to 10 times a game for Gore?
The fact that Gore has only played one full healthy season out of five (and missed several games the last two) with Niners speaks loudly.

Depending how draft shakes out (remember last years BIG surprise?) and Free Agency, I would like Niners to take Spiller at #13 and then draft best available OT at #16/17.

For those (like me) who don't get to watch alot of college ball there are several Spiller clips on youtube that will have you going gaga, and i dont mean lady gaga lol

IMO Niners should try to get a solid veteran guard or tackle in FA and still draft a future stud ready to go full time in a year or two.....

Niner fans go to heaven
as Niners reach Super Bowl 2011!!

he missed 1 game in 07, 2 games in 08 and 2 games this year.

I dont want us to draft CJ Spiller, Frank Gore is our man.

He's our man now, but what about 2 or 3 years down the line?? Top running backs have short careers & usually can only put out between 3-6 extremely productive seasons. Look at guys like E. James, S. Alexander, T. Davis, Robert Smith & even LT is falling off.

Spiller could add an explosive threat to our back field for the next decade.

We'll have 8 other draft picks, 2 inside the top 50 to shore up our OL & secondary.

Somthing tells me with Crabtree, Davis, Gore & Spiller even Alex Smith could lead the 49ers to the super bowl.

[ Edited by GMniner805 on Feb 16, 2010 at 16:21:58 ]
im gonna be highly dissapointed if we pass up on spiller and super upset if he lands in seattle. only person i'll pass up spiller on is berry if he miraculously fell to 13 which no way in hell happens
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
im gonna be highly dissapointed if we pass up on spiller and super upset if he lands in seattle. only person i'll pass up spiller on is berry if he miraculously fell to 13 which no way in hell happens

God I wish Berry would fall to us! I would even be happy to trade up to get him.

Are you serious?

What I mean is that Gore is good, don't get me wrong but we can't just do the single back system because Gore thinks he can handle the whole load. We can't let our love for our running-back (lets remember that Running-backs are perishable commodities) get in the way of drafting for the future and being competitive. I'm not saying Gore holds us back, I'm saying we can't just cater to Gore and not draft play-makers because he wants to be the only back carrying the load cause when he sprains his ankle again we got nothing. I'm not knocking on the guy but I'm pretty sure, reading from his remarks after we drafted Coffee, that he wants to be the Man....but then again who doesn't. I'm just saying lets not let our commitment to Gore prevent us from getting offensive weapons.

For the record though, Gore is awesome and I'm glad he's a 9er. I would love for him to finish his career here til he is 34 but we are going to need fresh legs regardless....might as well get a RB who fills two needs.....PR/KR (a huge need) and backup/speedy back.

very good questions!

I like the idea of drafting Spiller. He would be a huge upgrade and threat as a kick and punt returner. He would help out at RB, getting anywhere from 5-10 carries, keeping Gore more fresh and giving us a home run hitter in the backfield and also he would help us out as a receiver, not just out of the backfield but also in the slot and we could use a fast, playmaker in the slot and Spiller was a terrific receiver at Clemson catching over 100 passes in his career and like I said he is not only a good receiver out of the backfield but he can line up in the slot as he is a pretty good route runner and seems natural as a receiver. I also think Spiller could end up being a #1 back in 2011 and we may need a #1 back in 2011 and at worst he would be a great 1-2 punch with Gore and whoever else we would bring in the future. Plus his special teams value is off the charts and I think alone as a kick returner he can help a team win an extra game or two.

Now that all being said, I don't think we will draft Spiller and if we did I would be affraid Raye would waste his talents.
Share 49ersWebzone