LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

What kind of olineman should we be looking at as possible niners picks?

has there been any word from the niners suggesting what type of olineman they will be looking at....

specifically does the offense need the big road graders or the mckitrrick like quick, finesse guys?

at guard, would they value a john jerry (350 lbs) or a mitch petrus (much lighter, former fullback)

does bulaga or anthony davis fir the offense better?

answering this will give a lot more insight on the accuracy of these mocks...
Bulaga would be the best fit he ran the same scheme in college as mike solari Does here for the 49ers he is agile and strong and never quits on a play
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Iupati would look nice as our LG, too. Real athletic and motor constantly on. Bulaga I'm starting to perfer even over Okung.
Just my opinion, but here goes:

All OT's must have quick feet, good lateral movement, long arms, and be durable. I say ALL OT's, not just LT, because the club will generally have only 3 OT's on the Active 45. ALL must be able to handle speed rushers on both sides of the line, in case of injury. I don't value solely "road-graders" at OT. Certainly, any OT needs to also be able to drive block for the run, but that isn't the main criteria. Snyder is a road grader and look how well that has worked out at RT. In short, just find a Staley-clone, who can play either side (like Staley).

At OG, I like to see one road-grader to run behind on 3rd and 1, with the other OG being a more mobile guy, who can pull/trap and help the team to run wide. Both OG's need to be sturdy enough to stand-up to the bull rush in pass protection and also must be durable. The interior OL back-ups also need to be split, one as a road-grader, one as a puller/trapper. I also like interior OL, who top-out at 6'4" or less, so they are not so difficult to throw over.

At C, I want a really smart guy with the build and skills of either OG, who also has exceptional leadership skills. The C should be a film room junkie.

Solari is going to use both man and zone blocking schemes. The above formula seems to me to be what is needed to be successful.
In a word, how about a BMUF. You fill in the words.
Originally posted by jimbagg:

All OT's must have quick feet, good lateral movement, long arms, and be durable. I say ALL OT's, not just LT, because the club will generally have only 3 OT's on the Active 45. ALL must be able to handle speed rushers on both sides of the line, in case of injury. I don't value solely "road-graders" at OT. Certainly, any OT needs to also be able to drive block for the run, but that isn't the main criteria. Snyder is a road grader and look how well that has worked out at RT. In short, just find a Staley-clone, who can play either side (like Staley).

At OG, I like to see one road-grader to run behind on 3rd and 1, with the other OG being a more mobile guy, who can pull/trap and help the team to run wide. Both OG's need to be sturdy enough to stand-up to the bull rush in pass protection and also must be durable. The interior OL back-ups also need to be split, one as a road-grader, one as a puller/trapper. I also like interior OL, who top-out at 6'4" or less, so they are not so difficult to throw over.

At C, I want a really smart guy with the build and skills of either OG, who also has exceptional leadership skills. The C should be a film room junkie.

Solari is going to use both man and zone blocking schemes. The above formula seems to me to be what is needed to be successful.

Nice post & I hope the 49ers take some of your advice!
Originally posted by jimbagg:

I agree, excellent post. Both Bulaga and Campbell seem to fit the OT description. Not sure about Davis as they say he already struggles with his weight.
Share 49ersWebzone