There are 473 users in the forums
Evaluating Anthony Davis, Bruce Campbell, Trent Williams
Feb 11, 2010 at 1:35 PM
- DaveWilcox
- Veteran
- Posts: 3,717
This is a great analysis and breakdown of these players.. Do you have the 411 on Bulaga and Iupati??
Feb 11, 2010 at 1:39 PM
- alburns
- Veteran
- Posts: 906
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
This is a great analysis and breakdown of these players.. Do you have the 411 on Bulaga and Iupati??
nope, he hasn't evaluated them yet. It looks like he does one per week
Feb 11, 2010 at 1:46 PM
- 4evrfan
- Veteran
- Posts: 3,061
Everything I've seen and heard about Williams screams "Don't draft him"! I pray we don't! Unfortunately, Campbell and Davis will likely be gone by our pick.
Feb 11, 2010 at 1:53 PM
- smileyman
- Info N/A
Originally posted by alburns:
DAVIS:
That weakness can be coached out of him, but it's really a microcosm of Davis' entire game. He has the ability to be a truly great player but he's inconsistent in some ways and raw in others. Pair him up with the right offensive line coach and he could be the next Ryan Clady. Pair him up with the wrong coach and he could be a complete bust.
I think Davis is probably one of the top three tackles to come out and completely agree with this summary. He needs further coaching to really develop into an elite talent.
Quote:
CAMPBELL
The Football Scientist Lab Result: If I were to grade the three left tackles reviewed thus far in the Draft Lab series, I would rate Campbell No. 1, Davis No. 2 and Williams No. 3. I plan to focus on Oklahoma State Cowboys OT Russell Okung in an upcoming edition as well. Campbell is just as -- if not more -- adept at guarding the blindside as the other two and there is every reason to think he could develop into a dominant NFL run blocker. That doesn't seem to be the consensus perception of his skills and that disparity means that he receives a TFS seal of approval.
Campbell has been fairly well regarded by most draft experts and has rated very high. What keeps him from being rated higher is his nagging health injuries. No team wants to spend a high first round pick on a guy that might miss 3 or 4 games a season.
Quote:
WILLIAMS
The Football Scientist lab result: Had I not known before watching video of Williams that he was considered a first-round prospect in many circles, it wouldn't have occurred to me to even consider ranking him that high. He might go in the first round because he is a left tackle, but the metrics say he will be a mediocre pro player, and that stamps him with the TFS overhyped label.
Williams' rankings as a tackle were based on his dominating play at RT from 2008. He was moved to LT for the first time in 2009, where of course he wasn't as dominating. He also was asked to play center. He'll be just fine as a RT in the league, and I think that with some familiarity with the position he'll become a decent LT as well.
Feb 11, 2010 at 1:57 PM
- ninertico
- Veteran
- Posts: 10,259
I am sure there is enough tape of Williams at RT to warrant first round consideration. It is known that he had difficulty on the left side so I don't expect a seal of approval for the left side.
The right is an entirely different matter.
Great analysis... So Campbell does look to jump into the OT mix after all. We better hope that both QBs become top 10. If not, we may not get a chance on these OTs. I still expect Seattle to draft one of the OTs and therefore would highly want a LT at #14.
We just may have to reach at #13 if we do want that RT. Damn, this is exciting!
This is the most exciting draft in years!
The right is an entirely different matter.
Great analysis... So Campbell does look to jump into the OT mix after all. We better hope that both QBs become top 10. If not, we may not get a chance on these OTs. I still expect Seattle to draft one of the OTs and therefore would highly want a LT at #14.
We just may have to reach at #13 if we do want that RT. Damn, this is exciting!
This is the most exciting draft in years!
Feb 11, 2010 at 2:01 PM
- kronik
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,316
This guy isn't the only person that thinks so lowly of Williams. Even McShay hinted he won't be a first rounder. I personally agree.
Feb 11, 2010 at 2:10 PM
- smileyman
- Info N/A
Originally posted by kronik:
This guy isn't the only person that thinks so lowly of Williams. Even McShay hinted he won't be a first rounder. I personally agree.
I completely disagree. Williams won't go high in the first round but he'll still go in the first.
(And I don't trust anything McShay says).
Feb 11, 2010 at 2:18 PM
- kronik
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,316
Originally posted by smileyman:Originally posted by kronik:
This guy isn't the only person that thinks so lowly of Williams. Even McShay hinted he won't be a first rounder. I personally agree.
I completely disagree. Williams won't go high in the first round but he'll still go in the first.
(And I don't trust anything McShay says).
You're probably right and I agree with your comment about McShay. I just wouldn't be surprised if he drops out of the first due to his inability to play LT and having alot of "bad film"
Feb 11, 2010 at 2:22 PM
- rivercity
- Veteran
- Posts: 198
This is a great read. OL is probably the hardest position for non-experts like us (and maybe even experts) to evaluate. Last year, Brian Orakpo made Phil Loadholt look like my grandmama in the UT/OU game, so I dropped Loadholt off my radar screen, but he turned into decent nfl player this year, so it's hard to judge on a small sample of games. The combine and workouts will tell more. With Okung, Iupati and Balaga, it seems that there are at least 6 legitimate 1st-round OL prospects this year, and good depth in subsequent rounds, which is great for us. We just got to scout like crazy to try and get the right one, or really, ones.
Feb 11, 2010 at 2:34 PM
- TX9R
- Veteran
- Posts: 8,352
Does he say which position Williams played in each of those games, because he played all over the line all year due to other guys getting injured. Basically he took one for the team and is now being punished for it. I'll take the previous seasons when he wasn't playing out of position and was the best lineman on a line that produced a few NFL players.
Feb 11, 2010 at 2:38 PM
- DVDA
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,367
Originally posted by smileyman:Originally posted by kronik:
This guy isn't the only person that thinks so lowly of Williams. Even McShay hinted he won't be a first rounder. I personally agree.
I completely disagree. Williams won't go high in the first round but he'll still go in the first.
(And I don't trust anything McShay says).
I would hate to see the 49ers take him with either of their picks. If the team traded down or up to the end of the first round then I would be ok with it but I just don't see him as value in the first round.
Feb 12, 2010 at 5:20 AM
- grizzlyadams
- Veteran
- Posts: 5,674
I've been screaming all along for the Niners to ignore Trent Williams. I watched every college game he played. He played for my team, and I want him no where near SF. He's a terrible OT.
Feb 12, 2010 at 5:22 AM
- grizzlyadams
- Veteran
- Posts: 5,674
I've been screaming all along for the Niners to ignore Trent Williams. I watched every college game he played. He played for my team, and I want him no where near SF. He's a terrible OT.
Feb 12, 2010 at 6:36 AM
- DesiDez
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,678
I agree with his assessment of Davis as I've said many of the same things.
Campbell is someone I haven't looked at closely mainly because I've been busy lately.
Williams- I like him as a RT and only as a RT. There's video of every pass from Sam Bradford in the Florida NC game and Williams looked amazing. Yes, he has been disappointment at LT, but the transition from RT to LT is a lot harder than you think. Footwork and the initial kick/slide step are completely backwards when you switch sides. If you don't believe, then just look at how well Barry Sims played at LT (his natural position) this season vs how bad he played as a RT in '08.
Campbell is someone I haven't looked at closely mainly because I've been busy lately.
Williams- I like him as a RT and only as a RT. There's video of every pass from Sam Bradford in the Florida NC game and Williams looked amazing. Yes, he has been disappointment at LT, but the transition from RT to LT is a lot harder than you think. Footwork and the initial kick/slide step are completely backwards when you switch sides. If you don't believe, then just look at how well Barry Sims played at LT (his natural position) this season vs how bad he played as a RT in '08.