Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Scott Wright's Mock

#13 OT Trent Williams
#17 RB CJ Spiller
#49 CB Parrish Cox

That would be an amazing draft. "Mindblasting," as Russell Peters would say.

- RT of the future with versatility to play across the line if need be - check
- Playmaker with blazing speed in the backfield and incredible kick returner - check
- Eventual starting CB and great punt-returner - check

Would you take Cox over Kyle Wilson though?

P.S. All hail Russell Peters.

No way...IMO, Wilson is the better natural corner and probably even a better punt returner. But I can't see him being there when we pick in the 2nd, so Cox would be a nice consolation prize.

Spiller doesn't return punts too?

He does and he's pretty good at it too, but he was one of the best kick returners in the country last year (tied for 1st in TD returns with 4, and 3rd in average at 33.1 per kick return).

Cox was one of the better punt returners in the country last year at 10.4 yards per punt return with 1 TD, which put him right behind Kyle Wilson in terms of average.

Fair enough, although having drafted Spiller at 17, I'm thinking the focus for a returner will be taken away from the pick at 49. If Cox/Wilson are the best players at 49 fair enough. But I wanna take the best player at 49 and I wouldn't factor Punt Returning into that.

Cox would be solid value at #49.

Plus, if you look up and down our roster (for better or worse) any player we draft in the 2nd regardless of position will likely not start in 2010 (injuries being the exception). Their contributions will initially be on special teams or as key subs...so Cox's PR abilities will allow him to make an impact sooner rather than later (which is what you generally need out of picks 1-3).

You're probably right, but you never know. If Cox/Wilson is the best player at 49 i will have no problem taking them. I just don't think the CB situation is bad at all to warrant using a 2nd round pick.
I would to get Spiller, but i think he will be gone by then. prolly even by 13th.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
We don't need a RB in the first round.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Scott Wright's Mock

#13 OT Trent Williams
#17 RB CJ Spiller
#49 CB Parrish Cox

That would be an amazing draft. "Mindblasting," as Russell Peters would say.

- RT of the future with versatility to play across the line if need be - check
- Playmaker with blazing speed in the backfield and incredible kick returner - check
- Eventual starting CB and great punt-returner - check

Would you take Cox over Kyle Wilson though?

P.S. All hail Russell Peters.

No way...IMO, Wilson is the better natural corner and probably even a better punt returner. But I can't see him being there when we pick in the 2nd, so Cox would be a nice consolation prize.

Spiller doesn't return punts too?

He does and he's pretty good at it too, but he was one of the best kick returners in the country last year (tied for 1st in TD returns with 4, and 3rd in average at 33.1 per kick return).

Cox was one of the better punt returners in the country last year at 10.4 yards per punt return with 1 TD, which put him right behind Kyle Wilson in terms of average.

Fair enough, although having drafted Spiller at 17, I'm thinking the focus for a returner will be taken away from the pick at 49. If Cox/Wilson are the best players at 49 fair enough. But I wanna take the best player at 49 and I wouldn't factor Punt Returning into that.

Cox would be solid value at #49.

Plus, if you look up and down our roster (for better or worse) any player we draft in the 2nd regardless of position will likely not start in 2010 (injuries being the exception). Their contributions will initially be on special teams or as key subs...so Cox's PR abilities will allow him to make an impact sooner rather than later (which is what you generally need out of picks 1-3).

You're probably right, but you never know. If Cox/Wilson is the best player at 49 i will have no problem taking them. I just don't think the CB situation is bad at all to warrant using a 2nd round pick.

True, but Nate is more of a question mark than many of us like to admit. His play has really fallen off over the last few years, and CBs generally don't get better or faster with age. If Nate is really starting to slide, it would help to have a young guy with decent size/speed (like Cox or Wilson) waiting in the wings to start opposite Spencer.
Originally posted by jimrat201:
Throw in Greg Hardy in Rd 2 and I would be happy

Word.
I don't want Williams, I would prefer to select Bulaga or Iupati or both.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

I don't want Williams either. Hell, I'd rather have Campbell over him.
For all you Williams haters, go back and read what people were writing about him after his junior year at RT.

I dare you.

He definitely didn't have as good a year on the left side for whatever reason, but he was absolutely dominant as a RT in 2008. IMO, getting a guy like Williams in the middle of the 1st round is a steal.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

But why don't you want Trent Williams? He was clearly a better RT than he was a LT. He only moved over to LT after Phil Loadholt left Oklahoma for the NFL. He was dominant as a RT (which is what we need).

For all you Williams haters, go back and read what people were writing about him after his junior year at RT.

I dare you.

He definitely didn't have as good a year on the left side for whatever reason, but he was absolutely dominant as a RT in 2008. IMO, getting a guy like Williams in the middle of the 1st round is a steal.

I agree. I would much prefer Trent Williams over Iupati. Bulaga is my first choice after Okung but Williams would be a SOLID pick.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Originally posted by jimrat201:
Throw in Greg Hardy in Rd 2 and I would be happy

Word.

Hardy round 3
I like Spiller. I think he reminds me of Felix Jones, but I can't see McCloughan drafting a part time player/returnman in the 1st round.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DesiDez:
I like Spiller. I think he reminds me of Felix Jones, but I can't see McCloughan drafting a part time player/returnman in the 1st round.

I agree with this. I just don't see they have the mentality that would go that route, not with Frank the Tank on the roster, who I am confident they believe could take it to the house on any given play, which is true. IMHO, this would all be true especially if McClain was there to pick instead.... I could definitely see McClain being picked over Spiller.

Who knows though...McSingRaye definitely would love to open up that run game to it's fullest and adding Spiller to the mix would only improve those chances.
Spiller is an absolute star. He will be the biggest impact player in this year's draft. The great thing is I don't think anyone ahead of us will take him because they have relatively no needs at RB, but his dimension as a PR/KR makes him a wild card for where he goes.

As for the OT's, the last OT drafted in the first round last year, Michael Oher, was better than any of the OT's this year. We really need an OT, but I am not sold at this point on their values at 13. I think we go skill position at 13 and OT at 17.
Share 49ersWebzone