LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 243 users in the forums

Would the 49ers Trade Up to Draft a Top OT?

Russell Okung appears to be the top OT in this draft according to the draft "experts." Would the 49ers be agressive enough to trade up and grab him or any other top OT if they fear '"their guy" will be gone before the #13 pick? We definitely have the ammo to make a move.

How would you feel about it?
No. When a class is deep in a position, why go to it when it will come to you?
If we were really looking for a left tackle, then yes, I think we might. I think the organization is happy with Joe Staley at LT, and will be content to wait and see which if any tackles are there at 13 or 17 so they can hopefully nab a starter at RT. We may even wait until the second round to take a tackle, but I doubt it.
I would say yes if there was a T that could go number 1 overall that slipped to like number 3 or 4 but you don't have that in this draft.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
No. Not with a draft class that's this deep with offensive line talent, and not when the team is happy with Staley at LT.
Hell NO. You just do not trade up for a RT when there are 4-5 very good OT prospects and one will fall to us.
Why trade up to get one player when you can stay where you are at and help two different positions of need?
scout all the top ones, and pick the guy who falls to you. in the 1st round, its a crapshoot anyways.

maybe you get Joe Thomas, maybe you get Robert Gallery. might as well stay put and pay less for equal risk.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Feb 10, 2010 at 11:05 PM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Hell NO. You just do not trade up for a RT when there are 4-5 very good OT prospects and one will fall to us.

this
It seems to me that our line would be better off by taking Williams/Buluga and Iupati then just trading away everything for Okung. Not to mention that route is also a heck of alot cheaper.

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Agree. In no way do we trade up for a RT!
let the draft come to us....our patience will be rewarded...3 of the top rated OT's
could be gone by our # 13, but that just means some one else we can use will be available...we got two early picks,we're in great position, be happy.
[ Edited by highway49 on Feb 11, 2010 at 12:24 PM ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Only player im trading up for is Eric Berry and that's not even worth it
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
13 and our second for Okung is the highest I would go. It would be nice to have a top ten pick at left tackle and a late first rounder at right tackle.
Share 49ersWebzone