LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 376 users in the forums

Solidg2000/WildTurkey 49ers draft 1.0

Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Like the Spiller pick.

Hate the Mays pick.

Exactly!
Switch out Mays for an RT and I'm on board. I think Ducasse is a good pickup as a GUARD in the 2nd Round, not RT.
Originally posted by sspiker:
Switch out Mays for an RT and I'm on board. I think Ducasse is a good pickup as a GUARD in the 2nd Round, not RT.

Hence the CIRON BLACK
Height: 6-5 | Weight: 322 | Position:OT | College: LSU
Like the Spiller pick.

Hate the Mays pick.

Could not have said it better myself.

Plus, mays as one of the most underrated? I think Mays may just b the most overrated player in the draft. He has amazing physical skills, yet cannot cover at all. However, I agree with you that (I'm sure I'll take heat for saying this) Earl Thomas is gonna be the next Mike Huff. Otherwise good mock!
Originally posted by GoldenGateFan:
Like the Spiller pick.

Hate the Mays pick.

Could not have said it better myself.

Plus, mays as one of the most underrated? I think Mays may just b the most overrated player in the draft. He has amazing physical skills, yet cannot cover at all. However, I agree with you that (I'm sure I'll take heat for saying this) Earl Thomas is gonna be the next Mike Huff. Otherwise good mock!

To be honest my top choice would be CJ and a OT but that is about 50% of all the mocks we see. The other 45% are OT and Iupati. Last 5 are for the rest.

I wanted to make this different but still help our team. I know a lot of people here dislike Taylor Mays, but the kid is a baller. Whether you all like it or not he is a great prospect. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be a 1st round pick in every mock around
Wasn't Mays also hurt all season?
I know everyone hates him though
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Wasn't Mays also hurt all season?
I know everyone hates him though

I don't. Everyone knocked him for not being a ball hawk and when asked to get an INT instead of the big hit he did it. With the right coaching this kid can be a Palumalu type SS. I love this mock actually. Ducasse and Black fill positions of need and Spiller is a playmaker.
Love the format with the pics. Nice job.

As for the mock I dont really like it as much:

Spiller - Like this pick although it depends on who else is available. If Haden somehow
falls there he has to be the pick. However, I would be very content with CJ

Mays - HATE this pick. Passing on a top OT or passrusher for Mays will piss me off

Ducasse - maybe OK in rd 2 but not for OT. He is going to be an OG in my opinion.
Because of that I wouldnt take him but would go for Jerry a round later

Hardy - sure. However, I certainly doubt he will be there in rd 3. Just too talented.

Black - sure again. He wont last until the 4th though. He is a late 2 or 3rd rounder.
If you think Ducasse is an OT though would you really want 2 OTs??

Your last 3 picks are solid for the rounds they are selected.
I like Spiller and Ducasse. I don't think the players are realistic where they are selected. A lot will go higher.
Last year, these were my choices for our 49ers

2009 Draft
1st Michael Crabtree
2nd Connor Barwin
3rd Shonn Greene
4th Louis Vasquez
5th Jasper Brinkley
6th Chris Baker
7th Alex Boone
Comp pick
5thDavid Bruton
7thKhalif Mitchell

I think after one season I do believe I did a pretty good job picking up talent and difference makers on both sides of the field. But even with that I only got one pick right (2 were picked up as UDFA).

So what the hell, Lets do this again.

1st Round
13 C.J. Spiller | RB/WR/KR/PR | Clemson

What Spiller brings to the table is that spark that can take over a game in one play. Whether it be returning a kickoff, being on the field as our #3/4 WR or giving Gore a breather, Spiller can change a game. CJ Spiller is everything Reggie Bush wanted to be. Or to make it easier, CJ Spiller is what Reggie Bush can be, if he ever starts breaking tackles

16/17 Taylor Mays | Safety | USC

My original choice was OT. I do believe everyone's thinking OT in the 1st, but after thinking about it, I decided to take a unique route. The consensus safety selection is Earl Thomas. When I see Earl Thomas, I see Mike Huff. So I decided to take the zones most underrated player. He has the size, he has the speed, and he has the tools. I am of the belief that the 1st round is for play makers and Mays can be our Bob Sanders

2nd Round
17 Vladimir Ducasse | OT/OG | UMass

He's big, He's strong, and he's raw. The longer he plays the better he will get. He is no where near his ceiling and can easily turn out to be the best OT taken in this years draft.

3rd Round
15 Greg Hardy | DE | Ole Miss

Once considered a top talent and 1st round selection. His downfall came mainly because of his health issues and inconsistent play. Even with a season cut short Hardy was the leading sack and QB pressure source for Ole Miss when he played. Talent is talent, and maybe standing him up might help him stay healthy.

4th Round
15 Ciron Black | OT/G | LSU

Started 53 games at LT. Named the 2009 Jacobs Blocking Trophy, which goes to the top offensive lineman in the SEC as voted on by the league’s coaches. He isn't the greatest athlete, so some believe he will be moved either to RT or inside to OG. Scott McC loves dersitility and he gets it here adding Black and Ducasse

5th Round

14 Linval Joseph | DT | East Carolina

Excellent size for a NT. Every year in college his stats have continued to get better and better. Came out as a Junior, would of possibly gone much higher if he would of stayed. His mistake is our gain.

6th Round

13 Clifton Geathers | DE | South Carolina

Excellent size and has excellent blood lines to go along with it. His older brother is a OT for the Bengals, and his uncle was an All-Pro DL

7th Round

17 Sherrick McManis | CB | Northwestern

Good size and speed, fighting through injuries yet still managed to earned first-team all-Big Ten honors from the media (and second-team status from the coaches). And his nickname is Batman.

If this was to happen I'll do the wytussie on top of the empire states building in my tulip!

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Spiller - Like this pick although it depends on who else is available. If Haden somehow

Mays - HATE this pick. Passing on a top OT or passrusher for Mays will piss me off

Ducasse - maybe OK in rd 2 but not for OT. He is going to be an OG in my opinion.

Hardy - sure. However, I certainly doubt he will be there in rd 3. Just too talented.

Black - sure again. He wont last until the 4th though. He is a late 2 or 3rd rounder.

Ducasse is a natural guard with experiance at tackle. Black is a natural tackle with tons of experiance. Black isn't an elite athlete and isn't very quick, and because of that I have seen him ranked as high as low 2nd to 5th. So unless Ducasse shows he is an incredible RT, he would be at guard and Black at tackle.

Hardy is a 1st round talent but has a lot of questions, think Michael Johnson
I love the CJ Spiller and Ciron Black picks, although I think Black is more of an OG.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Ducasse is a natural guard with experiance at tackle. Black is a natural tackle with tons of experiance. Black isn't an elite athlete and isn't very quick, and because of that I have seen him ranked as high as low 2nd to 5th. So unless Ducasse shows he is an incredible RT, he would be at guard and Black at tackle.

Hardy is a 1st round talent but has a lot of questions, think Michael Johnson

I know that Ducasse is a natural guard which is why I put that I believe he will play OG and why I wouldnt take him in rd 2. Black isnt elite enough to be in round 1 or 2 but I would be surprised if he made it past rd 3. There are few OTs in this draft after the big 5. However, its certainly possible. Finally, Hardy is a great talent which is why I would be shocked if he was there where you project in round 3.

Not the worst mock I have seen and some really good players but Mays in first pretty much killed it for me.

[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Feb 14, 2010 at 21:14:22 ]
I'd love to get Hardy in the third. That'll be a steal.
Spiller...yes. Mays, definitely not. Don't be fooled by his hype...when he had a stellar front 7 in front of him, he was making plays, last year after most of those guys graduated, he was as much of a liability as a playmaker. We already have a guy who's a big hitter in Michael Lewis. While it's true his future's somewhat in doubt due to 3 concussions last season, he's a sure tackler. Mays is too often trying to make the huge hit and he misses way too much, not to mention he's not very good in his pass defense. Goldson was guilty of that, too, but as last season wore on he improved on that quite a bit. BL, we don't need a S that early in the draft unless Berry miraculously falls to us...the likelihood of that happening is slim to none. The right pick at #16/17 is the best OT on the board...I'm growing more convinced that could end up being Charles Brown if the other top 5 guys are gone because of his excellence at zone blocking, which Coach Solari is implementing this off-season.

In the 2nd, I'd rather see Singletary get OG Mike Johnson from Alabama...one because of who he played for, two because he's already very versatile, having played both OG and OT for Nick Saban.

3rd rd no problem w/Hardy, but in your mock, you haven't addressed CB 'til the late rds...that's normally too late to get a quality player. Gilbert Arenas would also be a good 3rd rd pick if he's still around...he'd provide CB depth and is arguably the best KR coming out in the draft. Yes, Spiller's already taken for KR, but Arenas also excels at punt returns, which is not CJ's specialty.

4th rd...having taken an OT and OG already, this pick could be WR, pass rusher, DL.

I have no issues with the rest of your picks. Overall, you have a very good mock...but, I really don't see Singletary waiting to get his OT this draft. He missed out on Oher because Crabtree fell to him and I believe he'll pull the trigger early this time out.
Share 49ersWebzone