There are 173 users in the forums

Who is the guy we MUST draft in round 1??

Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Any one of the top 5 OL (that could make it to us, this doesn't include Okung): So.. Davis, Bulaga, Williams, Iupati, or Campbell. Not as big a fan of Campbell though because he is very raw and possess a much higher bust factor than the rest.

If campbell is raw then I don't want him. He could turn into a project player and Singletary doesnt have anytime to wait for a player. He's still waiting on Balmer and for the most part Alex Smith to develop.

We need 2 players who can come in and have an impact from day 1.

I can't see us taking Campbell unless every single other top OL is gone. He's probably going to have a nice combine, but he's still a 20-32 tier kind of guy like Charles Brown of USC is.
The one position the Niners MUST draft is OT. There is no one GUY the Niners must draft. I prefer Bulaga ( assuming Okung is long gone) but would be fine with Davis or Williams as well. One of these players MUST be taken.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
The one position the Niners MUST draft is OT. There is no one GUY the Niners must draft. I prefer Bulaga ( assuming Okung is long gone) but would be fine with Davis or Williams as well. One of these players MUST be taken.

Agree. I want any combo of an OT & CJ Spiller or OT & Brandon Graham.
I know we need a RT, but if we have an opportunity to take Spiller at #13 then we should pounce on it. If we don't then Seattle will take him at #14 and will haunt us for the next 10 yrs.!!! Besides, Williams or Iupati should be there at #16.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Agree. I want any combo of an OT & CJ Spiller or OT & Brandon Graham.

Those would be the 2 guys I would most want to have in addition to an OT as well. I believe both Spiller and Graham would be immediate impact players for us.
Originally posted by NinersFo6:
I know we need a RT, but if we have an opportunity to take Spiller at #13 then we should pounce on it. If we don't then Seattle will take him at #14 and will haunt us for the next 10 yrs.!!! Besides, Williams or Iupati should be there at #16.

we'll be so screwed if seattle takes spiller
Originally posted by krizay:
Trade up for Sam Bradford if he's sitting there at #7.

I hope you are joking.
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Picks 1a, 1b and 2 should be able to challenge for a starting position immediately.

The soft spots in the current starting line-up are at RT, RS, S and CB.

Why draft for 2011 when it could be a lock-out year?!

Draft for immediate contribution in 2010.

Excellent point!!

We need three guys to make immediate impact. So how about this scenario...

Anthony Davis/Brian Bulaga/Trent Williams--Any of these would immediately contribute at RT especially under the Solari/Brown team. The added bonus is that we have a solid chance to land one of those, a very good chance indeed. RT will be addressed in the first guranteed.

That's one first round pick.

The other should do the same so who can do that given the amount of time on the field, talent, and who the best chance to start with impact? The only player I see worthy of those qualificatons is Iupati. He's far better than Baas or Rachal and would take over and impact immediately almost Pro Bowl impact.

Given the amount of time he would be on the field as compared to any other position around the same pick such as Thomas, Graham, D. Williams or even Spiller, Iupati is a logical choice at #16/17 more than any other player.

I don't see M. Lewis retiring nor losing his place as a starter to Thomas. Graham and Williams would see limited time given the talent and the play of those at their respective positions. Who else at this point can come close to being pro bowl material? The only real choice is Iupati.

Now we can find value in the second for RS and contributor to either O or D. I see a few:
J. Best
K. Wright
D. McCluster
P. Cox
J. Ford (will jump deep into second after Combine)

Looks like we a very solid chance to meet your requirements, Jim.

Forget all the RT talk. This team has an opportunity to add 2-3 players who can upgrade our roster immediately.

Now Im not saying we are all set on the offensive line, but I do think the best player available is going to be much better than picking some guy because Snyder has sucked it up. Now if one of the top Tackles do fall to us thats a possibility, but by no means should we reach for any position draft day.

That said, the player we MUST pick is the player who can help this team win now. And Im having a hard time believing that player is an O Lineman.

Id even consider BPA at #13 (Spiller, Graham, Haden, McClain) and trading #16/17 for an immediate upgrade at our biggest position of need- QB (McNabb).
CJ Spiller

• LA49erFan4ever
  • Info N/A
CJ Spiller and the top OL...

imagine VD,Crabtree,Spiller,Gore plus with some pass protection smith should put up numbers and if he doesnt then definitly smith needs to be shown the door..
has to be any OT any one who saw any of the games is that we didnt get any push for run and could pass protect our guy snyder led the league in sacks i think if we replace him smith should do fine the jacksoncille and houston and seattle games are good examples on what he can do with pass protection
Originally posted by rivercity:
Since we get 2 round 1 picks, the answer has to be 2 guys, right? My choice: Spiller plus Best Right Tackle Available. But if you're only allowing 1, I'm saying Spiller. He can change some games on ST and in Spread formation right away, then grow into a bigger role down the road.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BigBug415:
Forget all the RT talk. This team has an opportunity to add 2-3 players who can upgrade our roster immediately.

Now Im not saying we are all set on the offensive line, but I do think the best player available is going to be much better than picking some guy because Snyder has sucked it up. Now if one of the top Tackles do fall to us thats a possibility, but by no means should we reach for any position draft day.

That said, the player we MUST pick is the player who can help this team win now. And Im having a hard time believing that player is an O Lineman.

Id even consider BPA at #13 (Spiller, Graham, Haden, McClain) and trading #16/17 for an immediate upgrade at our biggest position of need- QB (McNabb).

Did you watch the 49ers last season? If you did you would know not only how awful this O-Line was but how awful Snyder was. Getting a guy like Bulaga in the first round would be a major addition to the Line and team. Just because they don't make flashy highlight reel plays doesn't mean they don't make an impact.

We aren't even saying reach for a player, Bulaga, Davis and Williams are all good value at 13 or 16/17.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by krizay:
Trade up for Sam Bradford if he's sitting there at #7.

A QB that's had major shoulder surgery, accurate but doesn't have a strong arm, and ran a spread in Oklahoma. Doesn't look like much of an upgrade from what we've already got.

Beautifully said.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Feb 9, 2010 at 7:30 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone