There are 184 users in the forums

Who is the guy we MUST draft in round 1??

We have the potential to get to a dominating defense. Joe Haden or Eric Berry would do wonders to get us there.

Offensively we desperately need a tackle, but even when the line is fixed we're still a middle of the pack offense.

My ideal draft is (Berry, Haden), Williams, and Pouncey but the only way we can get to that is Haden slipping past Cleveland at 7.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Someone to play on the OL.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by rivercity:
Since we get 2 round 1 picks, the answer has to be 2 guys, right? My choice: Spiller plus Best Right Tackle Available. But if you're only allowing 1, I'm saying Spiller. He can change some games on ST and in Spread formation right away, then grow into a bigger role down the road.

Kick return. Round 1.

Spiller can do a lot more than return kicks, look at guys like Harvin & Jackson both selected in round one. A lot of teams Including the 49ers are wishing they hadn't passed on both of them.

Let's not miss out on another Clear home run hitter.

A lot of you are mentioning RT, well who's the tackle we must have?? There's a couple solid guys but I'm not seeing any "must have's" at that position.
[ Edited by GMniner805 on Feb 8, 2010 at 4:35 PM ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GMniner805:
Since we get 2 round 1 picks, the answer has to be 2 guys, right? My choice: Spiller plus Best Right Tackle Available. But if you're only allowing 1, I'm saying Spiller. He can change some games on ST and in Spread formation right away, then grow into a bigger role down the road.

Kick return. Round 1.

Spiller can do a lot more than return kicks, look at guys like Harvin & Jackson both selected in round one. A lot of teams Including the 49ers are wishing they hadn't passed on both of them.

A lot of you are mentioning RT, well who's the tackle we must have?? There's a couple solid guys but I'm not seeing any "must have's" at that position.

Here's the argument for going OL and not Spiller.

At RB we already have a Pro-Bowl caliber guy in Gore, Coffee should get better too. So in essence the RB position isn't a huge need.

At RT we have Adam Snyder. The guy is pure trash. Getting a guy like Bulaga to play RT at 13 or 17 and getting a returner later in the draft probably represents more value all things considered.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

Kick return. Round 1.

At RB we already have a Pro-Bowl caliber guy in Gore, Coffee should get better too. So in essence the RB position isn't a huge need.

At RT we have Adam Snyder. The guy is pure trash. Getting a guy like Bulaga to play RT at 13 or 17 and getting a returner later in the draft probably represents more value all things considered.

I don't see how tackle comes to play here because if we were to draft Spiller at 13 we would be drafting either Davis, Williams or Buluga at 17.

We're not taking Spiller over a tackle we're taking him over a Iupati or Earl Thomas, or Brandon Graham.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Kick return. Round 1.

I don't see how tackle comes to play here because if we were to draft Spiller at 13 we would be drafting either Davis, Williams or Buluga at 17.

We're not taking Spiller over a tackle we're taking him over a Iupati or Earl Thomas, or Brandon Graham.

We are talking about the 1 guy we MUST draft, my point is we must draft an OT and opposed to Spiller.

Kick return. Round 1.

We are talking about the 1 guy we MUST draft, my point is we must draft an OT and opposed to Spiller.

But we have 2 oppurtunities to draft that one guy. That can't be ignored here.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

Kick return. Round 1.

Yes we do, but my point is we MUST get an OL, Spiller isn't a must. For me OL is a must and we can go a number of different ways with the other pick.

Kick return. Round 1.

Yes we do, but my point is we MUST get an OL, Spiller isn't a must. For me OL is a must and we can go a number of different ways with the other pick.

True, but taking a tackle at 13 is not a must because either 2 or 3 picks later we'll get another shot at one.

I only the tackle at 13 if there's a run on tackles, or if a certain tackle just blows you away compared to the other ones. Part of it's projecting what happens at 14 and 15 to ensure that you get the 2 players you really want.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 8, 2010 at 5:04 PM ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

Kick return. Round 1.

True, but taking a tackle at 13 is not a must because either 2 or 3 picks later we'll get another shot at one.

I only the tackle at 13 if there's a run on tackles, or if a certain tackle just blows you away compared to the other ones.

The thread says in round 1 and not specifically at 13. In the 1st round we must come away with an OL.

I for one want us to make a splash with a playmaker with 1 of our first 3 picks. If thats, dez, cj, dexter, or jahvid. It doesnt matter to me I just want one of them.
Any one of the top 5 OL (that could make it to us, this doesn't include Okung): So.. Davis, Bulaga, Williams, Iupati, or Campbell. Not as big a fan of Campbell though because he is very raw and possess a much higher bust factor than the rest.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Any one of the top 5 OL (that could make it to us, this doesn't include Okung): So.. Davis, Bulaga, Williams, Iupati, or Campbell. Not as big a fan of Campbell though because he is very raw and possess a much higher bust factor than the rest.

If campbell is raw then I don't want him. He could turn into a project player and Singletary doesnt have anytime to wait for a player. He's still waiting on Balmer and for the most part Alex Smith to develop.

We need 2 players who can come in and have an impact from day 1.

Kick return. Round 1.

Bingo & kalen if you want to be technical name the tackle you believe is a must have. You will have a hard time doing that, because there isn't one.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

If campbell is raw then I don't want him. He could turn into a project player and Singletary doesnt have anytime to wait for a player. He's still waiting on Balmer and for the most part Alex Smith to develop.

We need 2 players who can come in and have an impact from day 1.

You should be able to expect picks 1,1,2,3 all be factors from day 1. thats the thing about 49ers fans their just not used to see it.

Share 49ersWebzone