There are 151 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

But would you trade our first pick and our second rounder for Eric Berry?

But would you trade our first pick and our second rounder for Eric Berry?

Not for Berry, maybe for Mr.Suh
Berry is very good and might even turn out to be great in the NFL
but for that kind of large commitment in money to that high a draft slot
i'll take The [Bluechip] DT over the safety
[ Edited by highway49 on Feb 4, 2010 at 7:51 AM ]
no we can pick up Kerry Rhodes in FA and save our picks
The 2nd round is deep this year. I'd rather get more 2nd round picks than give ours up, but I wouldn't complain if Scot moved up to get Berry.
  • 49ersBackOnTop38
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49erman5692:
no we can pick up Kerry Rhodes in FA and save our picks

Kerry Rhodes??? No thanks..in the 5 years he has started he is averaging 3 INT's a season. We have a FS on the team that can do that now in Dashon. I think in order for us to go from good to great on the defensive side is to get that ballhawking safety like an Ed Reed and Berry would be the closest thing to that barring no major injuries. His work ethic for a college player is almost unmatched. He is already addicted to the film room and his talent is remarkable. Of course a pass rush does wonders for a secondary but Berry can man centerfield and allow Goldson to play closer to line which I think he could handle very easil and help our pass rush. The more I think about it, the more I would love for this to happen but I know realistically it probably won't :(
I wish the Zone was around in 1985. You would have people screaming wah wah we traded away next year's 1st rounder for a receiver from Mississippi Valley State. What idiot's we could of drafted Vance Johnson. Just how much more production will Jerry Rice have than Vance Johnson?

My point is some people are worth the cost of trading up for. If you think the guy could be a Hall of Famer why settle for his ugly cousin and another average player.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I wish the Zone was around in 1985. You would have people screaming wah wah we traded away next year's 1st rounder for a receiver from Mississippi Valley State. What idiot's we could of drafted Vance Johnson. Just how much more production will Jerry Rice have than Vance Johnson?

My point is some people are worth the cost of trading up for. If you think the guy could be a Hall of Famer why settle for his ugly cousin and another average player.

You have a good point, but in this SUPER deep draft I am not trading any of my 2nd or 3rd rounders away, unless its trading down to get more. Of course, Scotty doesn't seem to do this, but who knows.

We are not a FS away from a championship... we need that 2nd rounder
  • 49ersBackOnTop38
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by irishluder:

You have a good point, but in this SUPER deep draft I am not trading any of my 2nd or 3rd rounders away, unless its trading down to get more. Of course, Scotty doesn't seem to do this, but who knows.

We are not a FS away from a championship... we need that 2nd rounder

So what do u think our needs are going into next season that would position us best for a championship run? I would say our top needs are OT, S, and return man. We can still get all of those needs since we will still get 3 picks in 3 rounds. We can have the best safety prospect since Sean Taylor, the best RT option and get a return man/nickel back in Arenas or return man/Slot WR in Ford in the 3rd. We have talent up and down our roster we just need those few pics to push us over the edge and into the playoffs. Once we are there, anything can happen. This draft is deep all throughout the draft, not just the first 3 rounds
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Originally posted by irishluder:
Make it stop

Were not going to get eric berry, or any safety in the 1st unless they are by far the BPA and we cant trade back

If we could give up a second rounder and our extra first then hell yes. Make yourself stop.

1A) Eric Berry
1B) Bulaga/Davis/Williams
3) Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (CB)

Were do I sign!!

looks good on paper. A lot of thing have to go right for it to happen like that. but I would be happy with this first day draft. Although I don't know much about Akwasi(iam guessing he's has return abilitys as well).
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

Well the zone would've been screaming to fire that fraud Bill Walsh and dump his worthless QB Joe Montana long before 1985, so the decision to grab Jerry Rice would've never been made. When Walsh trade for Steve Young the zone would've gone ballistic over the decision

Personally I'm all for trading a 1st and 2nd to get Berry because we can always trade our 1b back and pick up a second again so we're no worse off.

If I were doing it I would trade our 1a, 2nd and next year's 3rd up to #5 (assuming Berry falls that far), trade our 1b back to 22 and get the Pat's 1st second (which is the 12th pick in that round). That gives us the #5 pick, the #22 pick and the #44 pick, which is basically what we would have anyway.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by smileyman:

Well the zone would've been screaming to fire that fraud Bill Walsh and dump his worthless QB Joe Montana long before 1985, so the decision to grab Jerry Rice would've never been made. When Walsh trade for Steve Young the zone would've gone ballistic over the decision

Personally I'm all for trading a 1st and 2nd to get Berry because we can always trade our 1b back and pick up a second again so we're no worse off.

If I were doing it I would trade our 1a, 2nd and next year's 3rd up to #5 (assuming Berry falls that far), trade our 1b back to 22 and get the Pat's 1st second (which is the 12th pick in that round). That gives us the #5 pick, the #22 pick and the #44 pick, which is basically what we would have anyway.

I think we could get #5 with #13 and our second rounder and a late round pick as high draft picks aren't as valuable as they once were. If the team did trade up to get a player(Berry, Okung, Clausen), I would like to see them trade down from 16/17 to pick up a second rounder to replace the one used in the original trade.
  • ramlive10
  • Info N/A
Picking Earl Thomas at the 16th pick, does not seem like a bad consolation prize, providing that the price for Berry is to high.

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2010/1/14/1251979/earl-thomas-nfl-draft-scouting
[ Edited by ramlive10 on Feb 4, 2010 at 4:04 PM ]
Originally posted by ramlive10:
Picking Earl Thomas at the 16th pick, does not seem like a bad consolation prize, providing that the price for Berry is to high.

Agreed. The Niners need a safety with ball skills and range......Thomas would be that guy. Isn't that big but shows a willingness to come up and play the run, too. Works for me.
does anybody know how accurate this trade pick value calculator is? and the extent to which the deepness of this years draft plays in to pick values?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by ramlive10:

Agreed. The Niners need a safety with ball skills and range......Thomas would be that guy. Isn't that big but shows a willingness to come up and play the run, too. Works for me.

I agree and have been mentioning that all along, that the 9ers need a Safety with range and of course ball skills. Sure he isn't the best at supporting the run, but he isn't that bad or the worse at it either. But again, I really doubt McCloughan drafts Thomas in the 1st...I just don't see it happening.