There are 198 users in the forums

Can Trent Williams play left tackle?

Can Trent Williams play left tackle?

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Since I would guess that Russell Okung will be gone, I would say Bulaga or Davis.

Sorry, I'm just not sold on Williams at LT or LOT or whatever.

I would probably choose Bulaga or Davis over Williams too since (IMO), they both have more upside and project better to LT eventually, than does Williams. The flip-side though, is that (again, IMO), Williams projects to be more pro-ready and seems to be an ideal RT fit for us (which is what we need given how the team is commited to Staley at LT). So the upside to drafting Williams is that he plugs right in at RT, with slightly less of a learning curve than the juniors Bulaga/Davis (though less for Bulaga).

To me, Bulaga is the guy I want, but he might be long gone by #13.

I'm not disagreeing per say, but why do you say that? Is it the amount of money we gave him? I think Sing has proven he will move whoever he needs to put the team in the best position to win. If our first round OT shows well I could see them moving him to LT. However, I doubt that he would be able to over take Staley his rookie year.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Since I would guess that Russell Okung will be gone, I would say Bulaga or Davis.

Sorry, I'm just not sold on Williams at LT or LOT or whatever.

I would probably choose Bulaga or Davis over Williams too since (IMO), they both have more upside and project better to LT eventually, than does Williams. The flip-side though, is that (again, IMO), Williams projects to be more pro-ready and seems to be an ideal RT fit for us (which is what we need given how the team is commited to Staley at LT). So the upside to drafting Williams is that he plugs right in at RT, with slightly less of a learning curve than the juniors Bulaga/Davis (though less for Bulaga).

To me, Bulaga is the guy I want, but he might be long gone by #13.

I'm not disagreeing per say, but why do you say that? Is it the amount of money we gave him? I think Sing has proven he will move whoever he needs to put the team in the best position to win. If our first round OT shows well I could see them moving him to LT. However, I doubt that he would be able to over take Staley his rookie year.

What I'm saying is, the team seems commited to Staley as our LT right now, so the open position on the line is RT. You're right in that Sing could eventually move things around, especially if the rookie OT shows he can handle the LT spot...but my point is, we're not necessarily drafting for a LT since we already have one, he's fairly young and he's getting paid LT money.

Not saying that makes it right, but all indications are that Staley will have to fail pretty miserably to be unseated at LT anytime soon.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Originally posted by 23zack80:
we're looking for a right tackle. why should that matter ?

Would you want a first round player who couldn't fill in on the left side if Joe Staley gets hurt in the future? I know I will not be happy if the team has Adam Snyder backing up left tackle instead of the guy drafted in the first round. If the team drafts a tackle in the first round, they should either A)be a left tackle right away or B)be a player who can start at right tackle with the ability to play left tackle in the future.

I'd rather draft the most dominant right tackle regardless of him being able to play the left side. That's why we also draft and sign FA's for depth. What if our right tackle gets injured ?

Left tackle>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>right tackle

Adam Snyder at right tackle is an ok situation. Adam Snyder at left tackle is a scary situation.
we're looking for a right tackle. why should that matter ?

Would you want a first round player who couldn't fill in on the left side if Joe Staley gets hurt in the future? I know I will not be happy if the team has Adam Snyder backing up left tackle instead of the guy drafted in the first round. If the team drafts a tackle in the first round, they should either A)be a left tackle right away or B)be a player who can start at right tackle with the ability to play left tackle in the future.

I'd rather draft the most dominant right tackle regardless of him being able to play the left side. That's why we also draft and sign FA's for depth. What if our right tackle gets injured ?

Left tackle>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>right tackle

Adam Snyder at right tackle is an ok situation. Adam Snyder at left tackle is a scary situation.

Adam Snyder Starting is a VERY scary situation.
Share 49ersWebzone