There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Can Trent Williams play left tackle?

Can Trent Williams play left tackle?

Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Since I would guess that Russell Okung will be gone, I would say Bulaga or Davis.

Sorry, I'm just not sold on Williams at LT or LOT or whatever.

I would probably choose Bulaga or Davis over Williams too since (IMO), they both have more upside and project better to LT eventually, than does Williams. The flip-side though, is that (again, IMO), Williams projects to be more pro-ready and seems to be an ideal RT fit for us (which is what we need given how the team is commited to Staley at LT). So the upside to drafting Williams is that he plugs right in at RT, with slightly less of a learning curve than the juniors Bulaga/Davis (though less for Bulaga).

To me, Bulaga is the guy I want, but he might be long gone by #13.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 4, 2010 at 1:14 PM ]
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Since I would guess that Russell Okung will be gone, I would say Bulaga or Davis.

Sorry, I'm just not sold on Williams at LT or LOT or whatever.

I would probably choose Bulaga or Davis over Williams too since (IMO), they both have more upside and project better to LT eventually, than does Williams. The flip-side though, is that (again, IMO), Williams projects to be more pro-ready and seems to be an ideal RT fit for us (which is what we need given how the team is commited to Staley at LT). So the upside to drafting Williams is that he plugs right in at RT, with slightly less of a learning curve than the juniors Bulaga/Davis (though less for Bulaga).

To me, Bulaga is the guy I want, but he might be long gone by #13.

Again spot on. I'd love to have Bulaga or Davis but I really think both of them will be gone by our first pick.
I am not opposed ot drafting Williams either, but just think there are others that if available would be better. Any way you look at it, if we draft an OT and expect them to start we will have growing pains. I am not sure what our plans are for Pashos,
but am jazzed that we have Solari and now Ray Brown to coach the offensive line.

If you suscribe to the theory that O-lineman that played at National powerhouses and
excelled then you would have to have some hope that Baas, Rachal and maybe even Boone can pan out better with some coaching.
[ Edited by nvninerfan1 on Feb 4, 2010 at 1:40 PM ]
I am not opposed ot drafting Williams either, but just think there are others that if available would be better. Any way you look at it, if we draft an OT and expect them to start we will have growing pains. I am not sure what our plans are for Pashos,
but am jazzed that we have Solari and now Ray Brown to coach the offensive line.

If you suscribe to the theory that O-lineman that played at National powerhouses and
excelled then you would have to have some hope that Baas, Rachal and maybe even Boone can pan out better with some coaching.

I wasn't basing that solely on the fact that Williams played at a "powerhouse" and excelled there. Though, playing in a conference as pass-happy as the big-12 and gaining All-American status because of your high-level of play, should count for something. It's not the end of the scouting report, but it's critical.
Is it realistic that Williams will be available at #16/17? If so, it would certainly open up a lot of options for the Niners. They could go true BPA at #13, or they could trade down.

If Williams presented those options, and could solve the RT problem, I'd be all for it.
JOE STALEY IS OUR LEFT TACKLE< I REALLY DOUBT SING MOVES STALEY TO RIGHT TACKLE> CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK
I'd like to chime in on Trent Williams.

Earlier this week, I was having an argument over Sam Bradford's NFL potential with of friend of mine(of course, I think he's very overrated. I don't see any difference between him and McCoy and I'm not high on McCoy either, at least as a 1st rounder)

Anyway, I found two videos on Youtube showing every Sam Bradford throw from the NC champioship game against Florida in 08 (scroll below)

Trent Williams of course is playing RT in this game because Phil Loadholt has been holding down the LT spot, I think, for 3 years. Williams is going against Florida's Cunningham all game and completely shuts him down. I think Cunningham registers one QB pressure on a speed rush in the 3rd quarter. Florida does blitz Williams several times and gets pressure only because they overload his side. Can't blame Williams on those because he can't block everybody.

After watching the videos, I think you will see that Williams has a great punch for offensive lineman. Meaning that he doesn't wait for DE to engage but Williams will initiate the first contact.

If I'm drafting strictly for RT, Bulaga and Williams are the most NFL ready right tackles. Davis, Campbell, Brown all have great potential but only at LTs. I haven't formed at opinion yet on Okung. Bulaga can play either side to me.

• DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
JOE STALEY IS OUR LEFT TACKLE< I REALLY DOUBT SING MOVES STALEY TO RIGHT TACKLE> CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK CAPS LOCK

Thank you for the immature and annoying response. What happens if Joe Staley gets hurt again? Would you be happy knowing our first round pick at tackle can't move over and fill in for him? When Barry Sims is playing left tackle instead of our first round pick, I hope you fill your bathtub with water and throw your computer/laptop into it instead of posting about how stupid the 49ers general manager is for drafting a right tackle in the first round.

If a tackle is drafted in the first round he should have to potential to play left tackle. If teams draft players in the first round who are restricted to the right side, they are not doing their jobs very well.
Originally posted by 23zack80:

Thank you for the immature and annoying response. What happens if Joe Staley gets hurt again? Would you be happy knowing our first round pick at tackle can't move over and fill in for him? When Barry Sims is playing left tackle instead of our first round pick, I hope you fill your bathtub with water and throw your computer/laptop into it instead of posting about how stupid the 49ers general manager is for drafting a right tackle in the first round.

If a tackle is drafted in the first round he should have to potential to play left tackle. If teams draft players in the first round who are restricted to the right side, they are not doing their jobs very well.

[ Edited by kronik on Feb 4, 2010 at 2:57 PM ]
Well here's McShay's take on both Okung and Williams...

Just like I thought, Williams will be challenged for spots in the OT ranks and his difficulty at LT will drop him a bit. Again, he's a great ROT who can start right now, but will take some work at LT.

This will drive Bulaga, Davis, and Campbell ahead of him as all of these OTs look like LT prospects first. The new name now in his article is C. Brown who some here said he may jump into the mid first with a great workout and Combine. He too looks like a LT prospect before a RT one.

So where do you think both Okung and Williams will go? And, I think we can say good bye to Bulaga, Davis and Okung as there are too many LOT needy teams in the top 10 already. Heck, Al Davis may reach for Campbell as many peg him as THE workout warrior out of all of them.

It will be Williams, Iupati or Brown now, IMO.

After the Combine, I figure the OT ladder this way:
Davis
Bulaga
Okung
Campbell
Iupati
Williams
Brown

It is going to be very exciting in those first ten picks!
[ Edited by ninertico on Feb 4, 2010 at 5:50 PM ]
we're looking for a right tackle. why should that matter ?

yeah this. wtf are you guys talking about lmao
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:

Would you want a first round player who couldn't fill in on the left side if Joe Staley gets hurt in the future? I know I will not be happy if the team has Adam Snyder backing up left tackle instead of the guy drafted in the first round. If the team drafts a tackle in the first round, they should either A)be a left tackle right away or B)be a player who can start at right tackle with the ability to play left tackle in the future.
I would take Williams & plug him in at RT & he could move to left if we need him to fill in for Staley for some reason.
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:

Would you want a first round player who couldn't fill in on the left side if Joe Staley gets hurt in the future? I know I will not be happy if the team has Adam Snyder backing up left tackle instead of the guy drafted in the first round. If the team drafts a tackle in the first round, they should either A)be a left tackle right away or B)be a player who can start at right tackle with the ability to play left tackle in the future.

I'd rather draft the most dominant right tackle regardless of him being able to play the left side. That's why we also draft and sign FA's for depth. What if our right tackle gets injured ?