There are 233 users in the forums

Funky Chicken Mock v1

Good looking pics. However, I doubt that Arenas falls all the way to the 3rd round. If he did, that would be quite a steal since it covers two needs: a backup CB and a bonafide kick returner.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Good looking pics. However, I doubt that Arenas falls all the way to the 3rd round. If he did, that would be quite a steal since it covers two needs: a backup CB and a bonafide kick returner.

That is where I am seeing him projected fairly consistantly right now. A few have him in the second, but I've seen him in the 3rd as often as anywhere. It's where I have him going in my mocks. Maybe not all the way to us, (though I hope so), but he could unless he lights it up at the combine.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

That is where I am seeing him projected fairly consistantly right now. A few have him in the second, but I've seen him in the 3rd as often as anywhere. It's where I have him going in my mocks. Maybe not all the way to us, (though I hope so), but he could unless he lights it up at the combine.

It seems like there's a lot of CB talent projected in rounds 1 and 2, which is why I think Arenas could go in the 3rd. Whether or not he has the same coverage skills as those guys is debatable. But he definitely does not have the same size or speed, so he'll probably go later.

I think it works out well for us, because we need a KR guy and really, anything we get out of him at CB (which could be a lot, IMO) is a bonus.
Originally posted by Walsh:
This would be good. You're one of the few guys that actually included a TE in their mock. I'm for anyone that pushes Norris off the team and competes for Walker's spot. I really wouldn't mind if they used a higher pick on this than 7th.

It's also interesting that you took the guard in the 2nd and KR in the 3rd rather than vice versa. Most people would mock Mike Johnson ahead of John Jerry, I think. Why Jerry?

I certainly don't think that McCluster in the 2nd and an OG in the 3rd would be a bad way to go. In some ways I might even be happier (or at least more excited) with that. I guess I'm just a little skeptical about how much McCluster is going to bring to an NFL team beyond returning kicks. I know, he's a triple threat and all that. But at his size, I don't know if he's really going to have an impact at RB or WR. But Arenas, on the other hand, could be a good CB in the NFL. So I think getting him in the 3rd is greater value.

The other factor in my choices for round 2 and 3 was just the desire to fix the biggest flaw on our team as quickly as possible. The o line was, IMO, the major reason we didn't go to the playoffs last year. And it's not just because of the RT spot.

But again, I'm not 100% married to these picks. I'll probably do another mock soon with a totally different outlook. It's just fun trying to find new ways to fit the puzzle together.
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

And like I said, I really think we need to do better on short yardage. We got killed on 3rd or 4th and short last year. Is there another RB in this draft that you think would be better for picking up those tough 2 yard gains? Could they be had in the 6th?

Gore's a power back. If we have a decent O-line he'll be able to get those tough yards by himself.

I see what you're saying. But even when our line has played well, Gore has not been a reliable short yardage back. I love the guy. I'm just saying that's not his game.

And Blount does have 20-30 pounds on both Gore and Coffee.

Gore is quite capable of doing that. At the end of the season our line finally figured out how to run:

Cardinals--167 yards on the ground in 25 carries. Now normally this would include a run of 60 or 70 yards but the longest run in this game was 36 yards.

Eagles--107 yards on 16 carries. Long again was only 37 yards.

Detroit--71 yards on 28 carries. Long of 15

St. Louis--107 yards on 23 carries. Long o 34.

I think that if we pick up another back it needs to be a shifty type of back, not a power back. If we want a power back hand off the ball to Norris or Miller as a FB.

Sometimes people get too caught up in finding Thunder and Lightning. If we draft Blount I look at as an imitation of the Jets Thomas Jones and Shonne Green combo.

Bottom line is there's nothing wrong with using Gore as the primary back and then bringing in Blount as the sledgehammer to wear the team down in the 4th quarter.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

And like I said, I really think we need to do better on short yardage. We got killed on 3rd or 4th and short last year. Is there another RB in this draft that you think would be better for picking up those tough 2 yard gains? Could they be had in the 6th?

Gore's a power back. If we have a decent O-line he'll be able to get those tough yards by himself.

I see what you're saying. But even when our line has played well, Gore has not been a reliable short yardage back. I love the guy. I'm just saying that's not his game.

And Blount does have 20-30 pounds on both Gore and Coffee.

Gore is quite capable of doing that. At the end of the season our line finally figured out how to run:

Cardinals--167 yards on the ground in 25 carries. Now normally this would include a run of 60 or 70 yards but the longest run in this game was 36 yards.

Eagles--107 yards on 16 carries. Long again was only 37 yards.

Detroit--71 yards on 28 carries. Long of 15

St. Louis--107 yards on 23 carries. Long o 34.

I think that if we pick up another back it needs to be a shifty type of back, not a power back. If we want a power back hand off the ball to Norris or Miller as a FB.

Sometimes people get too caught up in finding Thunder and Lightning. If we draft Blount I look at as an imitation of the Jets Thomas Jones and Shonne Green combo.

Bottom line is there's nothing wrong with using Gore as the primary back and then bringing in Blount as the sledgehammer to wear the team down in the 4th quarter.

Exactly.

And seriously, Gore is a spectacular back in many, many ways. But steamrolling over two LBs to get that one yard is not his game. And sometimes, you need someone who can do that.
Share 49ersWebzone