LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 238 users in the forums

Funky Chicken Mock v1

This is a mock that I came up with last week, before the senior bowl. Interestingly though, the senior bowl seemed to validate some of my choices. I tried to address our needs and still get good value. Certain things, like O line and return man, I made sure to hit more than once.

R 1a - OT Brian Bulaga
ROT is our biggest need and this is a great position to draft one of this year's best.

R 1b - OLB Brandon Graham

Even with all the sacks last year, I still don't feel like we get enough consistent pressure from 4 rushers. A top edge rusher would fix that. And before you complain about Graham not being an inch taller, take a look at how tall Woodley, Harrison, and Dummerville are. Height is not as critical for edge rushers as people think.

R 2 - OG John Jerry
The interior of our line still needs improvement.

R 3 - CB/KR Javier Arenas
He can return kicks and punts for us, and could be a good nickle corner.

R 4 - S Kam Chancellor

We need more bodies and more talent at safety. Chancellor seems to have more range and speed that he's given credit for. And the guy can sure hit.

R 5 - WR/KR Antonio Brown
We need a 5th WR and it would be best if that guy was fast. Brown can be a vertical threat in the passing game and another option in the return game.

R 6 - RB Lagarrette Blount
Like Rashad Jennings last year, Blount will slide in the draft. But he's perfect for Singletary, who loves being a positive influence in the lives of troubled players. And even though people want speed, we really need a short yardage back. Blount could be that and more.

R 7 - TE Jim Dray

We need a blocking TE, and this guy can really help our run game. Just like he did for Gerhart at Stanford.

R 7 comp - Ekom Udofia
I'll be honest, I don't know much about which DTs are going to be around at the end of round 7. So plugged in the local kid.

Most of my projections are based on maddog's big board, some of the group mock drafts that have been done around here, and my own feelings on how it will shake out.

What do you think, zone?
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
I think for the 2nd round we can do better at guard than John Jerry. Either Ducasse or Asamoah should be available and I'd rather take them.

I think Blount will probably end up in the 5th, and I'm not sure that I want him. His running style is the same as Coffee's and Gore's and we really don't need 3 backs on the team with the same running style.
Originally posted by smileyman:
I think for the 2nd round we can do better at guard than John Jerry. Either Ducasse or Asamoah should be available and I'd rather take them.

I think Blount will probably end up in the 5th, and I'm not sure that I want him. His running style is the same as Coffee's and Gore's and we really don't need 3 backs on the team with the same running style.

I think those are both pretty valid criticisms.

With Jerry, I'm just guessing that by draft day he'll be higher on people's boards. But I'd be fine with one of the other top OGs.

And like I said, I really think we need to do better on short yardage. We got killed on 3rd or 4th and short last year. Is there another RB in this draft that you think would be better for picking up those tough 2 yard gains? Could they be had in the 6th?
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
This is a mock that I came up with last week, before the senior bowl. Interestingly though, the senior bowl seemed to validate some of my choices. I tried to address our needs and still get good value. Certain things, like O line and return man, I made sure to hit more than once.

R 1a - OT Brian Bulaga
ROT is our biggest need and this is a great position to draft one of this year's best.

Even with all the sacks last year, I still don't feel like we get enough consistent pressure from 4 rushers. A top edge rusher would fix that. And before you complain about Graham not being an inch taller, take a look at how tall Woodley, Harrison, and Dummerville are. Height is not as critical for edge rushers as people think.

R 2 - OG John Jerry

R 4 - S Kam Chancellor

We need more bodies and more talent at safety. Chancellor seems to have more range and speed that he's given credit for. And the guy can sure hit.

We need a 5th WR and it would be best if that guy was fast. Brown can be a vertical threat in the passing game and another option in the return game.

Like Rashad Jennings last year, Blount will slide in the draft. But he's perfect for Singletary, who loves being a positive influence in the lives of troubled players. And even though people want speed, we really need a short yardage back. Blount could be that and more.

[b]R 7 - TE Jim Dray

We need a blocking TE, and this guy can really help our run game. Just like he did for Gerhart at Stanford.
[/b]

R 7 comp - Ekom Udofia
I'll be honest, I don't know much about which DTs are going to be around at the end of round 7. So plugged in the local kid.

Most of my projections are based on maddog's big board, some of the group mock drafts that have been done around here, and my own feelings on how it will shake out.

What do you think, zone?

U took my thunder ARRGG!!!

Love this pick here. I have him in my mock also that I just poster. Great minds think alike I guess.
[ Edited by 49wyztoscore on Feb 2, 2010 at 10:52 PM ]
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:

R 1a - OT Brian Bulaga

R 2 - OG John Jerry

R 4 - S Kam Chancellor

[b]R 7 - TE Jim Dray

[/b]

R 7 comp - Ekom Udofia

What do you think, zone?

Love this pick here. I have him in my mock also that I just poster. Great minds think alike I guess.

Heh. Well, I haven't trademarked anything, so feel free to use him in your mock.

I noticed they used him in the sort of F back role we use a lot. Where he would motion back and forth between TE and FB. Seemed like he would fit in nicely.
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:

R 1a - OT Brian Bulaga

R 2 - OG John Jerry

R 4 - S Kam Chancellor

[b]R 7 - TE Jim Dray

[/b]

R 7 comp - Ekom Udofia

What do you think, zone?

Heh. Well, I haven't trademarked anything, so feel free to use him in your mock.

I noticed they used him in the sort of F back role we use a lot. Where he would motion back and forth between TE and FB. Seemed like he would fit in nicely.

Definitely. Not only is he the best block TE in the draft IMO he is a big RZ target at 6 foot 5.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

And like I said, I really think we need to do better on short yardage. We got killed on 3rd or 4th and short last year. Is there another RB in this draft that you think would be better for picking up those tough 2 yard gains? Could they be had in the 6th?

Gore's a power back. If we have a decent O-line he'll be able to get those tough yards by himself.

Gore's a power back. If we have a decent O-line he'll be able to get those tough yards by himself.

I see what you're saying. But even when our line has played well, Gore has not been a reliable short yardage back. I love the guy. I'm just saying that's not his game.

And Blount does have 20-30 pounds on both Gore and Coffee.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

I see what you're saying. But even when our line has played well, Gore has not been a reliable short yardage back. I love the guy. I'm just saying that's not his game.

And Blount does have 20-30 pounds on both Gore and Coffee.

Gore is quite capable of doing that. At the end of the season our line finally figured out how to run:

Cardinals--167 yards on the ground in 25 carries. Now normally this would include a run of 60 or 70 yards but the longest run in this game was 36 yards.

Eagles--107 yards on 16 carries. Long again was only 37 yards.

Detroit--71 yards on 28 carries. Long of 15

St. Louis--107 yards on 23 carries. Long o 34.

I think that if we pick up another back it needs to be a shifty type of back, not a power back. If we want a power back hand off the ball to Norris or Miller as a FB.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I like it, Funky especially the Bulaga and Graham picks.

Nice mock
I like it!
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
This would be good. You're one of the few guys that actually included a TE in their mock. I'm for anyone that pushes Norris off the team and competes for Walker's spot. I really wouldn't mind if they used a higher pick on this than 7th.

It's also interesting that you took the guard in the 2nd and KR in the 3rd rather than vice versa. Most people would mock Mike Johnson ahead of John Jerry, I think. Why Jerry?
very solid mock,
Love the 1st round
I'd prefer McCluster in the 2nd
Best OG in 3rd
Love getting the best blocking TE in the draft late
Big fan of your picks. In my perfect draft we get Iupati at 1b and Hughes is still there in round 2, but otherwise it's the same first 4 picks. OT, OG, OLB and and CB/KR with Bulaga and Arenas making the bread of the sandwhich.

And everything else seems like great late round value at quality positions of need.

Well done.
Share 49ersWebzone