LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Your favorite 1st round combo

Your favorite 1st round combo

It seems like the niners will be looking at one of these 4 players, unless someone unexpectedly drops out of the top 10 (McClain, Haden, Bryant, Berry, Claussen). I don't, however, believe thatthis is very likelyand am thus assuming these players are off the board. Iupati is the only worthwhile lineman who is not a Tackle, and we will not get 2 OTs obviously. With Bryant off the board WR will not be a consideration, and I'm counting on Claussen and Bradford to be off the board making QB not an option with our picks. Spiller is the only worthwhile offensive skill player left at our spots. with Haden, McClain, and Berry gone, I don't see CB, S, or ILB, having value here. Our D-line is our strength, the team still likes Balmer for at least 1 more year, and so unless they fal in love with Dan Williams, I don't think they'll draft a NT or DE so high. This leaves OLB as the only position on the defense that will present value at our picks. This means 3 players--Grahm, Hughes, and JPP. For simplicity purposes, and based on my current rankings, I elected Grahm, although I could have said "beat OLB available." I believe 2 of these 4 players will be wearing red and gold this April. What combo do you prefer?
The thing about drafting an OT and Iupati vs some other combo with Spiller is that the OT and Iupati are every down players (assuming they start) whereas Spiller would only touch the ball a few times per game. Granted those could be game changing touches but, if I'm thinking value and considering its also a need, I'm thinking OL. I'm just not sure that a returner in the 1st is a luxury we have yet.
I wouldn't be opposed to McClain/Spiller either. But a lot will be dependent upon who is available in the first round. Spiller/Graham, Spiller/Bulaga etc all good to me. We need speed, we need Oline, we need pass rusher. I think Spiller/Graham would be BPA and still address a number of needs.
Originally posted by ghostrider:
The thing about drafting an OT and Iupati vs some other combo with Spiller is that the OT and Iupati are every down players (assuming they start) whereas Spiller would only touch the ball a few times per game. Granted those could be game changing touches but, if I'm thinking value and considering its also a need, I'm thinking OL. I'm just not sure that a returner in the 1st is a luxury we have yet.

And an OLB in the 2nd
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
We have to use at least one pick on OL.
Mays and Tebow ftw.

honestly best OL and safety of pass rush. i feel that that the first three picks will be OL S or OLB and OL then third a PR KR
I think they will do best OT plus Graham. But I would love to have Spiller. I just don't think it will happen.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I think they will do best OT plus Graham. But I would love to have Spiller. I just don't think it will happen.

I'm with this, then get a G in the 2nd, unless McC is there.
  • wshaheen321
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by j3xperience:
Mays and Tebow ftw.

honestly best OL and safety of pass rush. i feel that that the first three picks will be OL S or OLB and OL then third a PR KR

OL for one of the firsts is a lock. Pass rush isn't a pressing need as we are what? 4th in the league in sacks this year? I'd say that's pretty good. What I would do is:

Best OL for first pick, CJ Spiller (A lot of games came down to a botched special teams play, with him those problems are gone), then I would take a safety in the second and a corner later in the draft.

This way our OL gets taken care of, our miserable return game is taken care of and our secondary gets some much needed help. I refrain from OLBs because I like the development I saw from Brooks and Lawson last season, esp. Brooks when he was in.
we better pick OL with our 1st round pick i dont care if its a reach

Bulaga/Williams - either would be an instant ROT Upgrade over Snyder

Brandon Graham - Because he is a beast and you can never have too many of those

&

Jacoby Ford in the 2nd.. Becomes the much needed return man and slot receiver. Maybe the fastest guy in the draft.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Sam Bradford and Bulaga or any other OT.

Without trading up. Bulaga or any other OT and Earl Thomas

If Dez Bryant is on the board Bryant and Bulaga or any other OT
Spiller, Williams and Iupati are the players in my combo with Iupati just getting beat out.

My favorite first round scenario is Spiller and Williams as of right now. But Tico, where's your man-crush for Iupati? It is still there. However, Trent Williams has always graded around top 15 whereas Iupati is just now getting there. Sure Iupati can be stuck at LOG and call it a day, but LOG wasn't a desperate need for us where ROT is.

Therefore, Trent Williams becomes the best prospect based on value and need. He's been viewed as a top 15 even top 10 to some of the respected draftniks out there. He is no doubt the best ROT prospect with the ability to play LT. As I said before, there are better LT prospects than him so I think he will be the last of the top four tackle prospects: Okung, Davis, Campbell, and Bulaga.

On the other pick, Spiller seems like a top ten pick especially after the Combine. He is the best RB and RS prospect in the draft so why not get a top 10 pick, the best RB to groom behind Gore while using his play-making ability on certain plays, and the best RS for both punts and kickoffs at #13. Makes total sense.

And, there are some solid guard prospects in the second and third who could challenge if not beat out Baas while allowing us to have someone to replace him next year if he bolts.

Two of those three picks in the first would be an excellent start and would make my year!!!! More and more, I believe that at least one of these will be ours with the percentages increasing toward getting two.

Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Bulaga/Williams - either would be an instant ROT Upgrade over Snyder

Brandon Graham - Because he is a beast and you can never have too many of those

&

Jacoby Ford in the 2nd.. Becomes the much needed return man and slot receiver. Maybe the fastest guy in the draft.

This would be really nice
Best OT (Bulaga) and Brandon Graham...

...then BPA in the 2nd (J. Best, Ford, CB, FS)
Share 49ersWebzone