DMB's Pre-Combine Mock Plan

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by PTulini:
The trade kind of ruins it for me.

Why???? The trade is the best part IMO.

Personally I don't think this is a year we trade down/stockpile. We're not building for the future anymore. This next season should be built for a playoff run. I'd rather have two potential starters with our first 2 picks vs. getting quality depth.

I agree with you somewhat, but you don't think Brown is a starting caliber OT? Or would you prefer to have a guy like Bulaga instead without the trade down?

At the same time, good teams have depth at key positions to ensure that the talent loss due to injury is minimal. With question marks at OLB, S, and CB, it's good to shore up those positions as early as possible.
Don't trade #16/#17. We can get a good player there. Possibly the OT of the future or C.J. Spiller.
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Two things:

1) Good call on free agency.
2) Hate the trade down and the pick of Brown. Would rather take Bulaga to solve our need rather then give the Lions a gift.

I kind of feel that way too. Although I like who he picks up with the Lions picks. But I'm thinking it may be worth it to trade back into the 2nd and give up next years first to do that...

See I'm the exact opposite. I love the idea of trading back and getting the extra 2nd rounder. I want as many picks in the top 3 rounds as we can get. Because there's more guys with 1st round talent in this draft than there are 1st round picks, that pushes guys who would be pegged as 2nd rounders back into the 3rd. There's a log jam of really talented players in the top 3 rounds who are similar to eachother. I don't think there's a huge gap between Bulaga or Williams and Brown honestly. So to get Brown in the 2nd, and get another pick like a TJ Ward who could team with Goldson at safety for the next few years, that's tremendous value. I love the idea of trading back and I have for a while now after seeing how many good players entered the draft and there was an already talented senior class.

you know this draft brother!
Originally posted by teeohh:

I kind of feel that way too. Although I like who he picks up with the Lions picks. But I'm thinking it may be worth it to trade back into the 2nd and give up next years first to do that...
only over my dead body!!! i would never give up a future firstrounder...but i would give up a current one.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Id rather have a rookie or Mankins instead of Baas...The dude isnt good
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Id rather have a rookie or Mankins instead of Baas...The dude isnt good

Well in my mock, we do get Johnson...
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by PTulini:
The trade kind of ruins it for me.

Why???? The trade is the best part IMO.

Personally I don't think this is a year we trade down/stockpile. We're not building for the future anymore. This next season should be built for a playoff run. I'd rather have two potential starters with our first 2 picks vs. getting quality depth.

Good call. We should trade a few of our later picks to get up close so we can grab, mccluster, and get javier arenas.

No way that graham falls to us. He'll be the guy that shoots up draft boards, it would be amazing to get him and get a RT though.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Resign:

Aubrayo Franklin - NT (Franchise)
David Baas - OG (RFA)
Barry Sims - OT/OG
Ahmad Brooks - LB
Matt Wilhem - LB
Marcus Hudson - DB (RFA)

Extend:

Patrick Willis - ILB
Vernon Davis - TE

Free Agency:

No one worth mentioning - how bout them apples?

NFL Draft:

R1: Brandon Graham - DE/LB - Michigan
- Scot McCloughan is not in a position to take a risk in the early rounds this year. I consider Graham to be one of the more pure and safe players in this draft, and he showed why during the Senior Bowl. Playoff teams have that one player that provides premium pass rush: Jared Allen, Dwight Freeney, Terrell Suggs, and Demarcus Ware. The addition of Graham will not only improve our pass rush (not just sacks), but also may indirectly benefit our secondary as more rushed throws may occur.

Trade - 49ers trade 16/17th pick for Detriot Lions 2nd, 3rd, and future draft pick.

Why for the 49ers: With the expected run on offensive tackles, the 49ers will be in a very lucrative spot to trade this draft pick - considering it is a need as well at RT. Since I think there will be many suitable players in the 2nd round for the position, the 49ers can still be relived to know that the Lions have a very high 2nd round draft pick. Read the rest of the draft to see why.

Why for the Lions: While Suh is the best rated prospect, I think the Rams want to get that franchise QB in Clausen. Assuming that is the case, the Lions can not pass up Suh at the #2 spot. With that pick, it still leaves a HUGE hole at LT. Bulaga is an excellent LT prospect that will boot Backus to another position along the O-line. With a franchise QB, WR, and TE secured, the Lions need to address the LT position promptly and with a tangable prospect.

R2 (f/ Lions): Charles Brown - OT - USC
- Brown reminds me a lot of Joe Staley when he came out of Cent. Mich. Brown is a former TE that transitioned to LT in the last couple of years. Substantial upgrade over Adam Snyder in terms of pass blocking. Good technique and agility in his game. Still somewhat raw, but a very good prospect in his own right.

R2: Kyle Wilson - CB/KR - Boise St.
- One of the emerging prospects after the completion of the Senior Bowl. Wilson has demonstrated outstanding ball skills, and exceptional return ability throughout his college career. If this class of CBs were a bit weaker, he'll be a first round draft choice.

R3 (f/ Lions): T.J. ward - S - Oregon State

- I debated between Ward and Chanceller, but at the end, I think Ward is a more NFL ready SS with moer potential. With Roman on his way out, Ward fits nicely as a rotational player to Lewis. He also provide some solid special teams play.

R3: Mike Johnson - OT/OG - Alabama

- A technically sound athlete, Johnson is a prototypical OG player for our blocking scheme(s). A possible starter on the left side, Johnson has experience at LG and LT.

R4: Eric Decker - WR - Minnesota
- As a U of M student, I've seen Decker play, and let me tell you - this guy is a Singletary player. Fantastic route runner, pass catcher, and run blocker, Decker does it all. With his ideal height and versitility, he is what we hoped Arnaz Batte should have developed into as a 49er.

R5: Jim Dray - TE - Stanford
- In my opinion, he's one of the best blocking TEs in this draft. Addresses a huge hole on the team.

R6: Jeff Owens - DT/NT - Georgia

- A developmental prospect at NT, Owens has a similar frame to Franklin.

R7: Trindon Holliday - RB/WR/KR - LSU

- Purely a special teams player.

Depth Chart -

QB: Smith/Hill/Davis
RB: Gore/Coffee/Robinson
FB: Norris
TE: Davis/Walker/Dray*

WR: Crabtree/Hill
WR: Morgan/Jones
WR: Decker*

LT: Staley/Sims
LG: Baas/Johnson*
OC: Heitmann/wragge
RG: Rachal/Snyder
RT: Brown*/Boone

LE: Smith/McDonald
NT: Franklin/Owens*
RE: Sopoaga/Balmer

OLB: Lawson/Brooks
ILB: Willis/McKillop
ILB: Spikes/Wilhem
OLB: Graham*/Haralson/Briggs

CB: Clements/Brown/Hudson
CB: Spencer/Wilson*
FS: Goldson/Smith
SS: Lewis/Ward*

ST: Nedney, Lee, Jennings, Holiday*

Kyle Wilson could easily go in the 1st if he runs well. So could Charles Brown although he would probably go late 1st round if he does. BTW I like Kyle Wilson a lot and would like to get him if we can whenever we can get him. My feeling is he is going to run a real good 40 time and he will sky rocket up the boards. We may be talking about him at #13 or #16/#17. If he runs between 4.32 - 4.35 he wouldn't be picked too high there based on the way he plays. He may or may not be that fast. But he plays fast. I think he's quicker and faster than people give him credit for.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Feb 2, 2010 at 6:36 AM ]
Theres no way we trade with the lions. The Lions would be more likely to trade down in the draft they have to many needs. And Kyle Wilson will not be there in the 2nd.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I like most of the players in the mock. I just dont like mocks that project trades that arent going to happen.

Share 49ersWebzone