LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 183 users in the forums

Charles Brown over Bryan Bulaga?!

I've noticed a trend over the last few months that Bryan Bulaga is the tackle that best fits what we need at right tackle. It's like everyone bought a ticket and is riding on his train or something. So, not to burst any bubbles but...looking at game film I see bad footwork on passing plays. He is stout run blocking, but that isn't our problem at right tackle.

We need protection on the right side on passing downs...and from all the prospects i've watched none does it better the Charles Brown from usc. His footwork is amazing...and considering he was a converted tight-end like Joe Staley he fits perfectly to me as our first round pick. His run blocking is solid...but will improve when he gets more girth in the weight room.

i found it interesting that Bryan Bulaga had a bad game against Brandon Graham who today showed why he's a beast and should be drafted in the first....whom i hope we draft with the other pick

But anyways, heres the highlight videos i found of both tackle prospects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DYk6GzwHC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AheRQNNgK64
Good Grief....
Charles Brown is skinny for the NFL.
  • flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Good Grief....

Personally, I think Bulaga is the BEST OT in the draft. The guy is the definition of a MAULER. Pass pro excellent. Run blocking excellent. My only concern is the whole thyroid deal. If that checks out, 13th pick needs to belong to Bulaga.

Brown, looks fantastic in pass pro, but terrible in run blocking. So, late 2nd, early 3rd? Maybe. Plus idk about you, but i could use a break from a USC lineman for a couple years. Chilo leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
You're kidding right?
Originally posted by thaakingd:
I've noticed a trend over the last few months that Bryan Bulaga is the tackle that best fits what we need at right tackle. It's like everyone bought a ticket and is riding on his train or something. So, not to burst any bubbles but...looking at game film I see bad footwork on passing plays. He is stout run blocking, but that isn't our problem at right tackle.

We need protection on the right side on passing downs...and from all the prospects i've watched none does it better the Charles Brown from usc. His footwork is amazing...and considering he was a converted tight-end like Joe Staley he fits perfectly to me as our first round pick. His run blocking is solid...but will improve when he gets more girth in the weight room.

i found it interesting that Bryan Bulaga had a bad game against Brandon Graham who today showed why he's a beast and should be drafted in the first....whom i hope we draft with the other pick

But anyways, heres the highlight videos i found of both tackle prospects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DYk6GzwHC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AheRQNNgK64

i dont see the bad footwork for bulaga that you do....indeed, he consistently seems to keep his body square to the pass rusher, as does brown as well..bulaga has more bul and run blocks better, and is more suited to right tackle than is brown
He is really athletic... not a huge guy, but he isn't covered in fat like a lot of other players. More like a big tight end like Staley. I really like him.
If we took Charlie Brown over Bulaga it would be like the rest of the league is Lucy and the 49ers are Charlie Brown. We'd come up to kick the ball (pick) out of the park and whiff! Right on our backsides for another 3 years at RT!!

Bulaga comes from a school that teaches fundamentals and makes them work against 8/9 men fronts all the time, so when the situation comes in a game they can win. He is the lineman we need.

As far as your comparison against Graham, what about the Bowl game against Morgan?? Morgan is considered to be the best DE in the draft and was held in check by bulaga.

TAKE Bryan!
From the video, it seems to me like Baluga is going to have trouble with speed rushers who use the edge.

But that being said, he still looked pretty beastly on a lot of plays against good competition as well...
[ Edited by Leathaface on Jan 31, 2010 at 9:42 AM ]

Bulaga > Brown

No. 13 = Bulaga

Brown = 2nd round

Do the math, we're taking Bulaga.
Share 49ersWebzone