LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

Does anyone actually believe we'll draft Iupati?

I think the Niners will pick the best OT (i'm hoping it's not Anathony Davis) and Iupati in the first round. I know they are not sexy picks, but we need to do what's best for the team.
In checking other teams website's, one thing is clear.
Everone like's Iupati, and all the draft-niks at those sites
want their team to draft him. Picking Best Player Available
can have many variations as to how it's viewed by any one person or team.
Overall value based on position.I.E. Guard vs QB
Best college career
Most potential.
Combine measurables...the list go on and on

IMO, If our coaching staff thinks he is as close to a sure fire
pro bowler as is possible for them to determine, then go get him
as soon as they can and move on.
[ Edited by highway49 on Jan 28, 2010 at 9:47 AM ]
I don't think they will do it, I'd be surprised if they did.
i dont think they will take a OG in the first round, my gut feeling is that it will be OT with the 13th pick and Taylor Mays with the 17th pick if hes still around, im not a big fun of Mays but i think thats how its going to play down
I do not think we draft Iupati unless we trade down and he is still available. OG's are just not taken that high normally and certainly not by Scott. I just dont see us passing on Bulaga, Williams, Spiller,etc.. to take Iupati.
Originally posted by 49ers1983:
i dont think they will take a OG in the first round, my gut feeling is that it will be OT with the 13th pick and Taylor Mays with the 17th pick if hes still around, im not a big fun of Mays but i think thats how its going to play down

I'm glad that you and McClaughan don't share guts, cause I would be pissed if we took Mays at 17.

What was the name of that big and fast USC safety a few years ago that everyone wanted to trade back into the first round to get? He seemed to have the exact same skill set: big hitter but poor in coverage, and every mock had him going in the first round.

LOL, the dude fell all the way to the 5th or 6th round and was out of the league a year later. In fact, I think he was in our training camp that 2nd year and after we cut him, he was done, IIRC.

Edit... Darnell Bing. That was the guy.
[ Edited by ghostrider on Jan 28, 2010 at 10:22 AM ]
I say nothing but Nays
to usc ........... Mays
Originally posted by Superbowl09:

I'm glad that you and McClaughan don't share guts, cause I would be pissed if we took Mays at 17.

you and me both. i'll be so f**king p*ssed, just thinking of mays possibly getting picked by us just makes me angry
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by Superbowl09:

you and me both. i'll be so f**king p*ssed, just thinking of mays possibly getting picked by us just makes me angry

Don't worry, contrary to what his guts are whispering in his ear we will not take Mays at 17, McClaughan is not that dumb.

I don't think we will. Not that we shouldn't. But we won't IMO. I think they will look heavily for a RT and then a play maker with speed like C.J. Spiller.
I think that if we draft an OT at 13 then with the 2nd pick in the 1st there will be a big decision to make. I wouldn't be mad if it happened.
To answer the question of do we believe that we will draft Iupati. In the Willis Draft the great question was whether we would take Willis or Carriker - both needs for our team. Scotty, and Co, took Willis - a Pro Bowler versus a very good player. If Iupati is a pro bowler OG then I would think this same logic is in effect.

In the last four drafts the Zone has been very close to whom the Niners would pick. They did not think that Mc would draft Balmer but they picked Willis, V. Davis, A. Smith, M. Lawson etc. So I think that the Zone is pretty much in harmony with the general space and the general pick. Unless a top ten player drops to us, as in the case of Crabtree, I think that the Zone pretty much has their fingers on the pulse of the 1st round pick, all bets are off after thata.

So to me it all rotates around Spiller, Bulaga, Iupati, Graham. Three of these four players will most likely be available when the Niners pick. So we will have a 75% chance of picking the player that the Niners pick. Any of those four picks would be helpful to us. Which one will be dependent upon whom is available at the time of our pick, and what kinds of offers we would receive at the time of the pick, and whom we already have in place due to offseason acquirements.

I think that the draft issues will also be influenced by Solari and Brown. It appears that with new blood in the coaching ranks will influence the draft issues. I personally would like to see 2-3 Oline picks in this draft. I would like to see Iupati, Saffold/Fox, Carter/Asamoah/Jerry. And those picks will be influenced by Solari and Brown.

So since Iupati is seen as a consensus all pro guard then all pro would be a hard thing to say no to at #13. So I think his chances are good to be a Niner. How good remain to be seen.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
To answer the question of do we believe that we will draft Iupati. In the Willis Draft the great question was whether we would take Willis or Carriker - both needs for our team. Scotty, and Co, took Willis - a Pro Bowler versus a very good player. If Iupati is a pro bowler OG then I would think this same logic is in effect.

In the last four drafts the Zone has been very close to whom the Niners would pick. They did not think that Mc would draft Balmer but they picked Willis, V. Davis, A. Smith, M. Lawson etc. So I think that the Zone is pretty much in harmony with the general space and the general pick. Unless a top ten player drops to us, as in the case of Crabtree, I think that the Zone pretty much has their fingers on the pulse of the 1st round pick, all bets are off after thata.

So to me it all rotates around Spiller, Bulaga, Iupati, Graham. Three of these four players will most likely be available when the Niners pick. So we will have a 75% chance of picking the player that the Niners pick. Any of those four picks would be helpful to us. Which one will be dependent upon whom is available at the time of our pick, and what kinds of offers we would receive at the time of the pick, and whom we already have in place due to offseason acquirements.

I think that the draft issues will also be influenced by Solari and Brown. It appears that with new blood in the coaching ranks will influence the draft issues. I personally would like to see 2-3 Oline picks in this draft. I would like to see Iupati, Saffold/Fox, Carter/Asamoah/Jerry. And those picks will be influenced by Solari and Brown.

So since Iupati is seen as a consensus all pro guard then all pro would be a hard thing to say no to at #13. So I think his chances are good to be a Niner. How good remain to be seen.

You have a very good point AND if 3 of those 4 are available when we pick, that means that we will more than likely get two of them since we pick again only 2-3 picks after.
Originally posted by teeohh:
I don't think they will do it, I'd be surprised if they did.

well, we Got willis, vernon, and we got crabtree.....

so....maybe they are listening to us....but, then again...we did get balmer....

eh....
Share 49ersWebzone