LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 332 users in the forums

Does anyone actually believe we'll draft Iupati?

Seems likely Baas will be retained (not that he's any good, but who knows what the coaches think considering his play improved over the year and he was hurt to begin it), and we all know how McCloughan feels about guards, even if it was just one quote.

I am fairly sure one of the first round picks will be a tackle, if only because all our beat writers seem so certain about it. But with Iupati struggling at tackle in the Senior Bowl practices, I just don't see it happening.
Even if Baas is there, if a player will upgrade your team you do it. Look at what Minnesota did with Adrian Peterson. They had a pretty good back with Chester Taylor and still picked Peterson. Why? Because he was a sure pick probowl player. All the sportswriters and their mom are saying Iupati is a certain probowl OG, so why not take him inspite of Baas?

We have got to shore up the oline with at least 2 of our 3 first picks, with an OT and an OG.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Unfortunately I don't. He'll probably go to Dallas as they value Oline the way you should, highly. And that will be the worst seeing him dominate for a decade in Dallas.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Unfortunately I don't. He'll probably go to Dallas as they value Oline the way you should, highly. And that will be the worst seeing him dominate for a decade in Dallas.

Dallas picks in the high 20's. We can still pick Iupati with our second 1st round pick before them... unless Dallas trades up for him.
At this point I think we should take him at 13 and then look to find another tackle in the mid rounds. Calloway, Tepper or Veldheer.

Iupati just looks like a Damien Woody clone.

Man, that is a horrible assumption that Mike Singletary, Mike Solari and Ray Brown don't HIGHLY value the OL. Heck, that is what Singletary has professed since day one that it starts with the OL. Last year, his pieces didn't come together under Foerester as well as he would have liked, but now he has his #1 OL coach choice plus a reputable OL coach and former player to assist him to boot.

C'mon now!

Don't underestimate the power of influence. Iupati will be a Niner, IMO. He's just too good of a prospect when we have had inconsistency at OL due to injury or substandard play.

I really wouldn't put it passed Scotty and Mike to draft to OLs in the first with Iupati and then Bulaga/Williams/Spiller. An almost probowl caliber OG is worth it @ #13 instead of risking not getting him when pick at #16/17.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
If they think Bass is the answer at LG then more power to them, but I just don't see that as being the case. If you can get Iupati at #17 you take him and forget about LG for the next 12 years.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Jan 28, 2010 at 7:29 AM ]
I sure hope so.. This is a no brainer as far as I am concerned. Draft him and Bulaga and OL is fixed. Our running game is improved.. Alex stays upright. It's all good.

Scotty, are you listening??
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninertico:

Man, that is a horrible assumption that Mike Singletary, Mike Solari and Ray Brown don't HIGHLY value the OL. Heck, that is what Singletary has professed since day one that it starts with the OL. Last year, his pieces didn't come together under Foerester as well as he would have liked, but now he has his #1 OL coach choice plus a reputable OL coach and former player to assist him to boot.

C'mon now!

Don't underestimate the power of influence. Iupati will be a Niner, IMO. He's just too good of a prospect when we have had inconsistency at OL due to injury or substandard play.

I really wouldn't put it passed Scotty and Mike to draft to OLs in the first with Iupati and then Bulaga/Williams/Spiller. An almost probowl caliber OG is worth it @ #13 instead of risking not getting him when pick at #16/17.

Yeah, but tico he should be there for us at #17. Who's going to take a guard at 14,15 or 16? Maybe Seattle,but they need a tackle not a guard. I think it's best to take the best available tackle at #13 then take Iupati at #17. It really should be no problem getting our players in this scenerio.
  • Stuuk
  • Veteran
I think it might be dependent on what presumably 'elite' defensive players are still on the board when we pick.

i.e. If at 13 someone is still on the board who they value as a can't miss defensive prospect (Possible candidates being Haden, Berry, McClain, OLB?) then I think they would take that player at 13 and then address the OL, most likely a tackle at 16/17. Thus making it unlikely we take Iupati

Alternatively if all the top defensive players are off the board I think it would come down to how much they covet Spiller. If they don't fancy him I think Iupati could come into play with us taking the best OT at 13 and then Iupati at 16/17, with the other immediate needs CB/Returner addressed in later rounds/FA.

On that note I like CB Ghee in the 2nd but whether he is available after the week he's having at the Senior Bowl is doubtful.
[ Edited by Stuuk on Jan 28, 2010 at 7:45 AM ]

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninertico:

C'mon now!

Those guys don't make the picks, Scot does and he's on record saying he doesn't value the position and proved it by letting Smiley go. History tells me if a player highly rated slides he takes that player over a need: Balmer, Crabtree are the latest examples. I know he'll take an OT most likey with that 1st pick, but if anyone slides at the 2nd pick I look for Scot to pull the trigger and wait until later in the draft for a G. Which I would be fine with if Iupati wasn't such a great prospect.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
I sure hope so.. This is a no brainer as far as I am concerned. Draft him and Bulaga and OL is fixed. Our running game is improved.. Alex stays upright. It's all good.

Scotty, are you listening??

The difference between Iupati and Bulaga is that Iupati deserves to be drafted in the mid teens and Bulaga doesnt. Based on his talent, Bulaga should go about 10-15 spots behind our picks. Actually most of the OTs are in that range.

It looks like there is one Steve Hutchinson and 4 Joe Staleys. Frankly, its a poor year for OTs. That is why it is so frustrating that everyone wants to get one in the first round.

Personally I would take a Hutchinson at any position rather than a Staley at a position of dire need.
No.
If there's not a guarantee that he can play RT....then probably not.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,500 for Overkill.
Originally posted by znk916:
Seems likely Baas will be retained (not that he's any good, but who knows what the coaches think considering his play improved over the year and he was hurt to begin it), and we all know how McCloughan feels about guards, even if it was just one quote.

I am fairly sure one of the first round picks will be a tackle, if only because all our beat writers seem so certain about it. But with Iupati struggling at tackle in the Senior Bowl practices, I just don't see it happening.

The only time Iupati struggled at practice is when they put him at OT. He's been dominate at OG. And I don't think resigning Baas to a one year deal will have any impact on our decision to draft Iupati.

I don't see us taking him at 13, but 16/17 is a possibility imo.
Share 49ersWebzone