Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
I can't tell if you want to replace average-speed, worn down Gore. If you prefer Spiller to Gore, then perhaps you'll have to justify that. Meanwhile, the OL was 30th in number of negative runs up the middle. They were also 20th in QB hits and 22nd in sacks.
I believe you're also making the point that there's a bigger dropoff in talent between Spiller and other returners/RBs (e.g. McCluster) than for Iupati and the other guards. I don't believe that's been shown. Most Bowl reports seem to note the opposite. Also, Iupati would start from day one, the other guards would probably compete with Baas and Rachal, thereby slowing the teamwork so vital to a successful OL.
My hope is the Niners will somehow fill the starting RT or guard before the draft.
You never addressed my point about Gore being a very productive (and even a pro-bowl) RB, even though you believe our o-line was unable to create any creases for our RB.
Did Frank do this all by himself? Ok, if you believe that, what makes you think a guy like Spiller who's even quicker/faster than Gore, can't do it by himself too (and maybe even better, given his speed/quickness/ability)? And if you don't believe Gore did this all by himself, then you have to agree that our line did in fact create enough creases for Gore to have a pro-bowl year and be one of the top ball carriers in the league in terms of yards per carry.
You just can't have it both ways.
I don't think in terms of Gore versus Spiller...I think in terms of Gore AND Spiller both making plays in the running game for the next 2 years, then I think of Spiller and "whomever" once Frank leaves as a free agent after 2011.
I also don't think that McCluster is a legitimate full-time RB in this league, whereas I don't know of anyone who DOESN'T think Spiller is a full-time RB in the NFL. I'd be happy with McCluster and all that he brings to a team, but I'd be even happier with Spiller (so it's a matter of preference for me).
Again, I'm not opposed to drafting Iupati and would be very happy with our o-line...I just think we can go in a different direction (RT and Spiller in the 1st, OG in the 2nd) and still get to where we all want to go.
I addressed the issue with the offensive stats (very offensive) of 30th in neg. yards up the middle. Don't you remember the great sounds of "thud" from the Niners rushing attack.
You prop up the OL by denigrating Gore. Much of the Niners' rushing yardage was against Seattle and the Rams, two of the worst teams in the NFL, and we played them twice each. Honestly, your argument suggests that we shouldn't draft an OL or RB. We're doing just fine.
As you said, Gore is going to the Pro Bowl, not anyone from the OL. If you're pushing Spiller as a full-time RB for the Niners, that means you want to start him and have Gore be the backup. Good luck with that.
You're not reading what I'm writing, and you're not understanding what I'm trying to say at all...it's like you don't even want to understand what I'm saying.
I don't doubt that we were 30th in negative run yardage up the middle. But if you think that's JUST because of a bad o-line, you really don't know much about football. Stop and think about this for one moment, please. If a team can't beat you at the edge, in other words, if they don't have RBs that are fast enough to get to the corner and turn upfield, what would you do as a defense? Why, you would stack the middle of the field all day long wouldn't you? You know they can't outrun you, so they have no choice but to power it up the middle and see if they can get a push. Any DC with half a brain would know to defend us this way, and that's part of the problem.
If you think that's denigrating Gore, or if you somehow think I don't like Frank, you're nuts. He's the only playmaker we've had the last few years and I have nothing but respect and admiration for him. But if you're honest with yourself, you'd know what I'm talking about when I say he doesn't have the speed to threaten teams at the edge, so they don't worry about that when playing us...we have ZERO speed in the backfield, so they defense us accordingly.
Lastly, I don't see anybody, not Spiller or anybody else, starting over Gore anytime soon. I'm not stupid so don't mistake me for someone who is. I also know that it really doesn't matter who "starts" the game or even who finishes, it's about production every time you step on the field. So if Spiller only got 7-10 carries, 2-5 catches a game, 2-4 kickoffs and 3-5 punt returns a game, that's still 14-24 touches for a guy with world class speed and top-tier playmaking ability.
That may not be enough for you, but it works for me.
Since you don't want to read or understand what I'm writing, I'll state it again as clearly as I possibly can. I WOULDN'T MIND AT ALL IF WE DRAFTED A RT AND IUPATI IN THE FIRST ROUND. I SEE THE LOGIC IN IT, I REALLY DO, REGARDLESS OF THE WORDS YOU'RE TRYING TO PUT IN MY MOUTH. I just think there's another solution that addresses both issues (lack of speed at RB and adding personnel to the o-line).
Finally, I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm right....I'm just saying, I believe there's another way and I've tried to explain what that way is and why I think it makes sense.
There, is that clear enough for you?
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 28, 2010 at 11:56 PM ]