LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Maurkice Pouncey

I'd love it if he were there to pickup in the second round but I think he's gone by then.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Our second? Yeah I'm gonna file that one under I'll believe it when I see it. I don't think there's a chance in hell he drops all the way to 49.

+1
I've had my eye on this guy for awhile, too...he'd be an excellent alternative to Iupati, although a major selling point for each player is their versatility. The advantage Pouncey has over Iupati is he's an excellent C. Good as Heitmann's been, it's not too soon to find his eventual replacement. A 1st rd w/Davis or one of the other top OT's and Pouncey would be a great investment in our OL now and for the future.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I've had my eye on this guy for awhile, too...he'd be an excellent alternative to Iupati, although a major selling point for each player is their versatility. The advantage Pouncey has over Iupati is he's an excellent C. Good as Heitmann's been, it's not too soon to find his eventual replacement. A 1st rd w/Davis or one of the other top OT's and Pouncey would be a great investment in our OL now and for the future.

Would be perfect if we could move back a bit and still get him.
You bet...it could work out well and maybe garner another pick, which is always good. Our interior OL needs some upgrades and Pouncey's just the guy who can give it to us.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
You bet...it could work out well and maybe garner another pick, which is always good. Our interior OL needs some upgrades and Pouncey's just the guy who can give it to us.

In terms of value #17 is too high for Pouncey. I agree interior help is needed. Iupati would be a good fit at LG
Maurkice Pouncey or Jon Asamoah in the second would be nice for the O line but both could be gone by pick 49.
Unfortunately his value (and iupati's imo) don't really match up with where we're picking in the mid 1st.

Then again I think that whole line of thinking is overrated. Pouncey is rated by a few as the top interior linemen, you see what a guy like Mangold has done for the Jets, or how valuable Mawae has been to the Titans the last few years, I don't think it's wise to undersell the value of possibly dominant center.
wouldn't love or hate the pick. he can play guard til heitman is too old but we have more pressing needs
  • bret
  • Veteran
You guys talking about 49 are dreaming! Maurkice Pouncey is one of the top 15 players in the draft. But the losers at the top of the draft will draft the 5th best tackle or 4th best DE/LB before they take someone who will be great. And so Pouncey will fall to a playoff team who will pounce and look like geniuses again! Nick Mangold was a top 15 talent, so was Logan Mankins. But they played the "wrong position" and so got drafted by playoff teams instead of losers.

The Niners would be smart to invest 17 in a player like this!

He's not going to be there in the 2nd.

A trade down from 13 or 17 to mid 20s and I'm interested.
If hes there in the second you have to take him. First of all, he an inteligent player capable of playing center or guard and could be groomed as heitmans eventual replacement and play guard and gives us a on of flexibility. I would be shocked if hes there in the 2nd but if he is you almost have to pull the trigger because its hard to immagine another player that could bring as much depth and value to your team being available at 49. But theres such an overflow of players with the excessive ammount of juniors coming out this year that there is going to be a ton of steals out there.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Would love to get Pouncey in the 2nd round. He can play at LG for next 2-3 years and then replace Heitmann at C.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
He's not going to be there in the 2nd.

A trade down from 13 or 17 to mid 20s and I'm interested.

If Spiller fell to 17 we could trade with San Diego and get their 1st and 2nd so they can get a RB which they need. Just an idea.
the more i review last year's games and see how poorly we picked up the blitz on the interior the more i'm thinking:

1) maybe heitmann should be held responsible for some of that. he was by far the most tenured of all the lineman (esp with staley out) and the C at that. shouldn't he kinda be the one to rally the guys?

2) if we move to a bit more zone blocking... wouldnt guys like pouncey and c.brown fit more into that mold? our attempts to find "road graders" havent really been successful.

3) i like the idea of a PROVEN SEC PERFORMER stepping in

4) heitman is no spring chicken and if he goes down, how much worse do we get with wragge or wallace?

i almost wouldnt mind if we ended up with spiller and pouncey...
in my mind it's playoff's or bust in 2010 and i hate to think of our playoff chances if either gore or heitmann go down for an extended period, AND they would also make our team much better if everyone were to stay healthy all year long.
Share 49ersWebzone