Barry Sims - OT
Aubrayo Franklin - NT
Ahmed Brooks - DE/LB
Walt Harris - CB/S
Free Agent Signings - All of these signings are UFAs with or without the CBA.
Brandon Manumaleuna - TE - Chargers
- Addresses our need for a blocking TE.
Bobbie Williams - OG/OT - Bengals
- We may overpay a bit for Williams services, but he'll be worth every penny at the RG spot of the line. The Bengals may be reluctant to shell out the extra cash since Andre Smith can take over that spot. This could be our "Alan Faneca" type signing to bolster our offensive line, and take it to the next level. Fits the mold of a Solari type OL player.
Kassim Osgood - WR/ST - Chargers
- With the purge of Battle and Bruce off the roster, and the lack of tall WR at the position, Osgood provides a force on special teams, and a potential red zone target with his 6-5 200+ frame. Since Brandon Jones isn't guaranteed the #3 role at this point, Osgood may find the SF 49ers a good landing spot for his services. Pro-bowl player!
DeMetric Evans - DT/DE
Jason Hill - WR (surprise cut)
NFL Draft -
R1: C.J. Spiller - RB/KR - Clemson
- I don't buy the assumption that Spiller will be available at our #16/17 pick. If you look at past 3-4 drafts, you'll see that at least 1 RB has been taken in the top 15. With a two-back system that good teams utilize (Jets, Ravens, Panthers, Chargers), don't assume you can get a similar offensive weapon in the later routes. Not only is Spiller a dangerous weapon in the running game AND passing game, but he's got legit skills at kick and punt returning.
R1: Bryan Bulaga - OT - Iowa
- With our OG and KR/PR/RB holes filled, we now address our critical hole at right tackle. While I would hope Trent Williams is available, Bulaga is an excellent RT prospect and comes from a program that is known for grooming legit OLmen.
R2: Chad Jones - S - LSU
- With Goldson, R. Smith, and Lewis on the depth chart, the 49ers can afford to take a raw but full of potential safety that has prototypical size and speed for the SS position. A playmaker on defense, Jones also has special teams value as a returner.
R3: O'Brien Schofield - DE/LB - Wisconsin
- Schofield oozes with potential in the 3-4 defense as an OLB. With the competition between Lawson and Brooks, we now can add some competition with Haralson. Since I can't get Matt Roth, the badger will have to do.
R4: Mike Neal - DT/NT Purdue
- After a strong performance at the East-West shrine game, Neal's stock could go up. At the same time, the influx of underclassmen declaring could push him down. If you consider both, it evens out. While Neal may be a better fit at the 4-3 DT position, I think he could be a potential NT prospect behind Franklin. At the very least, he could be a serviceable 3-4 DE.
R5: Pat Angerer - ILB - Iowa
- Depth at the TED position
R6: Alric Arnett - WR - West Virginia
- Projects to be a nice role player behind Morgan.
R7: Chris Hawkins - CB - LSU
- Depth at CB to replace Marcus Hudson.
Depth Chart -