LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

NYSunDevil's Mock Offseason 1

• NYSunDevil49er
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GoldenGateFan:
Originally posted by eastbay49er:
Great first round picks but theres NO WAY spikes falls to the 2nd round

Actually, I almost 100% disagree. Look at what happened to James Laurinaitis, Rey Maualuga, Curtis Lofton, Paul Posluszny, David Harris & Justin Durant. (Laurinaitis & Posluszny both win the Butkus award for best linebacker and slipped).
Rolando McClain has been easily the best ILB in college football, pushing Spike down in mock drafts. He will go in the top 5 in the second round. Every year a really good ILB falls to that position, and I believe that will happen again this year.

As well, although ILB is a concern for a few teams (Denver, Buffalo, Giants, etc) they have more pressing issues (WR-den, OT-buf, DB-nyg).

But ya, no way in hell we get Spikes. As well:
Originally posted by NYSunDevil49er:
3. Perrish Cox CB Oklahoma State(I forsee a fall based on his off field issues. If not available I'd take Donovan Warren, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, or Javier Arenas. In that order).
Donovan Warren is the second best CB in the draft, he is going FIRST ROUND. Save a broken leg, injury, etc. he is a LOCK for the first round. Will be a great cornerback in this League.

Don't forget to add Demeco Ryans to that list. There are going to be a lot of questions about Spikes athleticism, and that could be magnified at the combine. I wouldn't be surprised to see him run in the 4.8-4.9 range. Plus he's got character concerns. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall to the bottom of the 2nd or even the 3rd round, which some draftniks have already predicted.

As far as Warren being a "LOCK" for the 1st round, I disagree entirely. He's in the mix for the 3rd CB taken behind Haden, and consensus #2 Patrick Robinson, who is seen as a fringe 1st rounder. I think he would have benefited from another year in school. I do like him as a prospect, just not as much Cox who is in the mold of a McCloughlan CB and offers return ability. I wouldn't be surprised if both are off the board at this point, but that can be said for every prospect in every mock draft.

As far as the Reggie Bush - C.J. Spiller debate, I'd prefer Bush, because it would allow us to use our 1st round picks on other positions of need. I think he'd have to be overpaid a bit, but if we can find a way to tap his potential, it could be well worth it. Not to mention his value as a returner and a backup RB to Gore, who has missed time in each of the last 2 seasons.

If we don't get Bush, I would definitely take C.J. Spiller with our 2nd pick in the 1st round if he was available. I'd hate to pass on Iupati, but I think Spiller would make more of and immediate impact, at a position of greater need, especially considering the depth at OG and lack of depth at RB this year.
Originally posted by GoldenGateFan:
Originally posted by eastbay49er:
Great first round picks but theres NO WAY spikes falls to the 2nd round

Actually, I almost 100% disagree. Look at what happened to James Laurinaitis, Rey Maualuga, Curtis Lofton, Paul Posluszny, David Harris & Justin Durant. (Laurinaitis & Posluszny both win the Butkus award for best linebacker and slipped).
Rolando McClain has been easily the best ILB in college football, pushing Spike down in mock drafts. He will go in the top 5 in the second round. Every year a really good ILB falls to that position, and I believe that will happen again this year.

As well, although ILB is a concern for a few teams (Denver, Buffalo, Giants, etc) they have more pressing issues (WR-den, OT-buf, DB-nyg).

But ya, no way in hell we get Spikes. As well:
3. Perrish Cox CB Oklahoma State(I forsee a fall based on his off field issues. If not available I'd take Donovan Warren, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, or Javier Arenas. In that order).
Donovan Warren is the second best CB in the draft, he is going FIRST ROUND. Save a broken leg, injury, etc. he is a LOCK for the first round. Will be a great cornerback in this League.

Don't forget to add Demeco Ryans to that list. There are going to be a lot of questions about Spikes athleticism, and that could be magnified at the combine. I wouldn't be surprised to see him run in the 4.8-4.9 range. Plus he's got character concerns. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall to the bottom of the 2nd or even the 3rd round, which some draftniks have already predicted.

As far as Warren being a "LOCK" for the 1st round, I disagree entirely. He's in the mix for the 3rd CB taken behind Haden, and consensus #2 Patrick Robinson, who is seen as a fringe 1st rounder. I think he would have benefited from another year in school. I do like him as a prospect, just not as much Cox who is in the mold of a McCloughlan CB and offers return ability. I wouldn't be surprised if both are off the board at this point, but that can be said for every prospect in every mock draft.

As far as the Reggie Bush - C.J. Spiller debate, I'd prefer Bush, because it would allow us to use our 1st round picks on other positions of need. I think he'd have to be overpaid a bit, but if we can find a way to tap his potential, it could be well worth it. Not to mention his value as a returner and a backup RB to Gore, who has missed time in each of the last 2 seasons.

If we don't get Bush, I would definitely take C.J. Spiller with our 2nd pick in the 1st round if he was available. I'd hate to pass on Iupati, but I think Spiller would make more of and immediate impact, at a position of greater need, especially considering the depth at OG and lack of depth at RB this year.

pat Robinson is a good cb, yet a senior and has limited athleticism. Warren was the best cb last year, yet regressed a bit and let Haden pass him. ATL needs serious cb help and will take him. No way he makes it to the THIRD round like you said. Other than that, I agree with slot of your points. Good offseason, with realistic picks, they just don't fit my personal style of football (good OL and D, just like the jets).
Share 49ersWebzone