There are 44 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Does the Addition of Mike Solari affect our draft?

Well,

We hired a guy the zone really likes and has some good credentials as a coach.

I was wondering, with his addition, would we pass on some lineman in the 1st and draft some/ more olinemen in later rounds, with the idea (and hopes) this guy can coach them up and make them work?

I wouldnt think so, but Im just throwing it out there.
Not as much as tony pashos will affect there draft.
Originally posted by Izyniner:

Pashos will probably follow Foerster to Washington.
Possibly but i think the potential to start here could be very interesting for him.
Nope. If anything, it increases the chances of drafting OL early.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
It'll affect the type of linemen we draft. Solari ran zone blocking schemes in KC and Seattle. Those schemes call for smaller, quicker offensive linemen. We won't be drafting big huge maulers.
Originally posted by smileyman:
It'll affect the type of linemen we draft. Solari ran zone blocking schemes in KC and Seattle. Those schemes call for smaller, quicker offensive linemen. We won't be drafting big huge maulers.

Does Baas fit in his system? If we resign him maybe they don't go after Iupati

Not necessarily. We'll draft the best player available that we believe can handle the duties required.

Do Willie Roaf (6-5 320), Will Shields (6-3 320), Brian Waters (6-3 320) qualify as "small, quick" linemen? Well, of course not. So I wouldn't rule out many players. The only player I think is very unlikely for us is John Jerry. I expect a team like Philly -- who selected massive OL Max Jean-Gilles a while back -- to go after him.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Not necessarily. We'll draft the best player available that we believe can handle the duties required.

Do Willie Roaf (6-5 320), Will Shields (6-3 320), Brian Waters (6-3 320) qualify as "small, quick" linemen? Well, of course not. So I wouldn't rule out many players. The only player I think is very unlikely for us is John Jerry. I expect a team like Philly -- who selected massive OL Max Jean-Gilles a while back -- to go after him.

This puts us in line to draft some good guys all throughout the draft.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Izyniner:

Pashos will probably follow Foerster to Washington.

Why do you say that?? I think Tony could be a solid RT For us for years to come

A zone blocking scheme would have to be implemented by the OC not the line coach.
Originally posted by gunslinger8:

A zone blocking scheme would have to be implemented by the OC not the line coach.

good point
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Solari will have important input into the draft, and it likely will influence the players chosen, though we may never know for sure.

Solari is skilled in teaching multiple blocking techniques where Warhop/Foerster favored zone schemes. Solari will want guys who are quicker and can move rather than bulldozer-types. Also, having been an OC, Solari can better fit a BPA line choice into a system that will utilize his skills. IOW, with three different schemes available, it gives the 49ers more options in which OL player would be the best value with the pick.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by gunslinger8:

Our team was already moving towards a zone blocking scheme towards the end of the year. Won't be a huge jump to go that way.

The type of running backs we have are perfect for zone blocking schemes.
Originally posted by teeohh:

Does Baas fit in his system? If we resign him maybe they don't go after Iupati

My guess is, Solari is less likely to want to keep Baas.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home