There are 197 users in the forums

Trade Down from 13 to 22

The Niners are a bust at drafting in the second and third round. I would have zero problem with trading the 2nd and 3rd for pick 31 or 32. The player would get a 5 year contract, and the Niners could fill most of their needs with players that hopefully can contribute from day one, and not be potential picks.

I am dead set against trading down, the value is just not there. At 13, a top 10 talent will no doubt fall to #13, look at last years draft with Crabtree falling to 10.

I think BPA at 13, and best OL available at 17. That BPA could be a OLB, RB, WR, or gulp a QB, but if you drafted the BPA, a few slots later you could trade that player if a player was on the board at that spot.
Originally posted by btwagner:
I would rather the team try to trade its 1st next year to move back into 1st rd this year....Like what they did when they drafted Staley....NE is always looking to pick up picks in the next years draft, and it would give the niners 3 First RD picks....If they nailed those 3 picks we could be in for a great season

Hate trading next year #1. We traded future 1 for Staley and gave up a top 10 pick. Could of gotten Otah or Clady in that draft. Its just not good value. I do not see us jumping from 8-8 to making DEEP playoff run even with the 3 first rounders.
Originally posted by noobie:
Originally posted by btwagner:
I would rather the team try to trade its 1st next year to move back into 1st rd this year....Like what they did when they drafted Staley....NE is always looking to pick up picks in the next years draft, and it would give the niners 3 First RD picks....If they nailed those 3 picks we could be in for a great season

Hate trading next year #1. We traded future 1 for Staley and gave up a top 10 pick. Could of gotten Otah or Clady in that draft. Its just not good value. I do not see us jumping from 8-8 to making DEEP playoff run even with the 3 first rounders.

It has to be the right player there of course.....Say team is able to get 2 very good OL prospects with 17 and 22. And CJ Spiller or Joe Haiden at 13.... If this team goes to 10-6 next year they will pick no lower than 20th.....so in essence you are losing a couple draft spots.....But also look at where those same 3 picks will be in 2011 and how good they may be with that year under their belt
Originally posted by mebemused:

If there is an early run on OTs, (usually is) take a tackle at 17. If there are still a few on the board, take an OT at 22 and see who falls to 17.
By trading down, we can get a good OT, and either Lupati or Asamoah at OG, and two potential game changers: Golden Tate WR, Thomas FS, Perrish Cox, CB, Jerry Hughes OLB, Brandon Spikes ILB, or Mount Cody for NT.

I agree with trading down, but ONLY if you get a very good deal offered. You must get an offensive speed WR or RB + returner in the first two rounds. I would trade down, if a good deal was offered, but try to position for the best WR/RB/PR guy, perhaps a guy like Jahvid Best at the top of rd 2, etc. (Likewise, you could also trade up into the early 2nd rd, but only if you got offered a great trade)

[ Edited by maxsmart on Jan 24, 2010 at 11:53:26 ]
id rather trade up into first and have 3 first rounders

1A Bruan Baugua/Trent williams/ Anthony Davis (no order)
1B Spiller
1c Iupati
Originally posted by maxsmart:

If there is an early run on OTs, (usually is) take a tackle at 17. If there are still a few on the board, take an OT at 22 and see who falls to 17.
By trading down, we can get a good OT, and either Lupati or Asamoah at OG, and two potential game changers: Golden Tate WR, Thomas FS, Perrish Cox, CB, Jerry Hughes OLB, Brandon Spikes ILB, or Mount Cody for NT.

I agree with trading down. But you must get an offensive speed WR or RB + returner in first two rounds. I would trade down, if a good deal was offered, but try to position for the best WR/RB/PR guy, perhaps a guy like Jahvid Best at the top of rd 2, etc.

we could get gilyard in 3 or mcluster in 4
If you look at the CBS revised rankings, and you want OL, the first round in the low 20's is full of talent we could use:
20 Anthony Davis OT
21 Sergio Kindle OLB
22 Mike Lupati OG
23 Brandon Graham OLB
24 Bryan Bulaga OT
25 Dan Williams DT
27 Bruce Campbell OT

Trade down from 13 to 22 is worth 370 pts, which equals pick #53.
49 Terrence Cody DT
52 Jerry Hughes OLB
54 Perrish Cox CB
58 Jon Asamoah OG

17 Anthony Davis OT or Earl Thomas FS, or whomever falls if there is a run on OTs?
22 Mike Lupati OG or Bryan Bulaga OT, or Bruce Campbell OT
45 Brandon Spikes ILB, Chad Jones, SS, Charles Brown OT, Terrence Cody DT,
53 Jerry Hughes OLB, Perrish Cox CB, Jon Asamoah G

I agree, but I would try to throw in a little something extra (eg Rd 5 pick) to get an early 2nd rd pick (~#40) (rather than #53). Perhaps a team looking for a QB would trade up to #13 and we could get ~~#22 plus ~#40 for #13 plus ~rd 5.

I think the real value in this draft is between #15-~40 per this draft board: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2010. If this board were to stay like it is now, I think we would get better value trading down. (But only if we get a good offer). Currently these players are listed between #20 and #32 (late first round):

OT’s: Anthony Davis, Bryan Bulaga, Bruce Campbell, Charles Brown
3-4 OLB/pass rusher: Sergio Kindle, Brandon Graham
CB/S: Earl Thomas, Patrick Robinson,
DL: Dan Williams, Jared Odrick
RB: Jahvid Best

I think these guys are better value than you would get at 13 (if you get a good trade). And the early second round will also have several good players such as: Brandon LaFell, Jason Pierre-Paul, Kyle Wilson, Jerry Hughes, Dexter McCluster, etc, etc (per this board)
Share 49ersWebzone